Computer Audit Tool

llewxam

I'd like to start by saying that this is not a network discovery tool, I keep wishing that it was and maybe through WMI I could accomplish that some day, but this tool is fast enough to execute that no users have ever minded a 10 second interruption in their workday as of yet. (I know some tools exist on the forum for domain environments, but many offices are workgroup and I have had no luck in using those...)

Now that I have stated what it is not, what this tool does is gathers the following information:

• The computer's name
  • The operating system, architecture, service pack level, and COA
  • The local users
  • If MS Office is installed, gathers the version(s) and COA
  • The CPU name and speed
  • Installed RAM, free RAM, and swap file info
  • Local drive letters, labels, total and free space, and percent full
  • Network drive letters, their UNC path, total and free space, and percent full
  • The computer's IP address
  • Optional notes, such as "front desk PC" or "runs slow", whatever is helpful to know later
All of that is bundled in to a CSV file, with the options of creating a new CSV for each machine named the same as the computer's name, an append mode that you can name after the site, or the cool part - there is an option to create a customized agent. In the customized mode, you pre-define the site name and a network path accessible by all machines, and the script will create a new customized script with those details hardcoded and compile it for you! Then all you have to do is get on to any networked pc and browse to the path, run the agent, and in 2 seconds you're done with that machine.

Please pay attention to the files required to compile at the top of the script - I know it is a long list but only 2 are required to be downloaded from the forum, the rest are in the AutoIt install folder in Includes or aut2exe folders. I could have included the paths in the code, but found this was just.....nicer (for me).

I have found this to be very helpful, and I even had one client thank me for doing it, as he realized the value of me having all of that information if he had a problem. Hopefully there are some other field techs out there, or folks in charge of their office's IT needs, who can also benefit from this. Another benefit for field techs is that with this list you can easily review it later and then call them up a few days later to tell them what upgrades they need and get a re-visit ;)

Enjoy

Ian

EDIT: Updated code to include a couple bug fixes

Audit Tool.au3

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

• 1 month later...

The line to include LocalAccount.au3 has a typo in it, it should be #include <LocalAccount.au3> it currently says #include <LocalAccounts.au3>

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

OOOOPS, I'll look at that shortly. I think there is also a minor glitch in the custom agent where a quote is misplaced. I will repost when these items have been corrected.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

I, for reasons unknown, had LocalAccount and copied it as LocalAccounts, which is why I had no problems. Silly, sorry about that, it has been changed in the code. I also found the issue with adding quotes at the wrong time in the compiled agent on enumerating network mapped drives.

Ian

My projects:

• 2 weeks later...

Code updated, I was finding many servers were crashing before it finished, thought it might have been related to not having Office installed but it turned out to be the _AccountEnum function of LocalAccount. I included a check to make sure there was a result, now it doesn't crash.

Ian

My projects: