Data Protector

llewxam

This tool is designed to help you keep small chunks of information safe such as website logins and other small, but important, data.  Kind of like secure PostIt notes.

The notes are double-encrypted.  Each note you add will have its own unique password, of course you can use the same password for each one but the purpose of this is so that multiple people can use the same data file and not be able to access each other's notes, or just to increase overall security (you know, never reuse your passwords!   :)).  Then there is a generic password that gets set in the script code, $FacingPassword.  The point of $FacingPassword is because the data saved to the INI file includes a hash for the per-item password, a delimiter, then the encrypted data.  I found it undesirable to have the data stored that way, even a casual glance in the data file made it easy to tell what the delimiter was, so $FacingPassword is used to re-encrypt the items - simply as a way to keep a casual glance at the data file from understanding what part of each note is the hash or data.

For this reason, as explained in the script notes, you must do 2 things to properly use this tool:

Change $FacingPassword to something unique - keeping it as the default will count as a weakness to the security of your data.

Then, NEVER CHANGE IT AGAIN!  Doing so would prevent the script from ever being able to decrypt your data again and could even cause the script to crash.

Enjoy

Ian

Updated 06/20/2014, implemented guinness' suggestions, previous build downloaded 20 times

Data Protector.au3

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Doesn't work I get...

"C:UsersguinnessDesktopData Protector.au3"(42,75) : error: _StringEncrypt(): undefined function.
GUICtrlSetData($List, _StringEncrypt(0, $Grab[1][1], $FacingPassword, 1)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Doesn't work I get...

LOL, damn man, that was a quick break!!! :)

What did you do to cause this? Ridiculous to even ask, but did you comment out the includes??

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

• Moderators

And you mention you would use it for website logins, but that you can never change the password again. As more and more websites require a password change after x number of days, this would make it impossible to use your script, correct?

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

And you mention you would use it for website logins, but that you can never change the password again. As more and more websites require a password change, this would make it impossible to use your script, correct?

What I meant is to never change the hard-coded $FacingPassword once you set it initially, of course you can change the passwords used for each item, and all notes can be edited to update the info saved in them.

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

LOL, damn man, that was a quick break!!! :)

What did you do to cause this? Ridiculous to even ask, but did you comment out the includes??

Ian

Well I know the issue but do you is the question?

Hint: I am using v3.3.10.0 and v3.3.12.0.

Hint 2: _StringEncrypt() is insecure and removed from those builds.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Well I know the issue but do you is the question?

Hint: I am using v3.3.10.0 and v3.3.12.0.

Hint 2: _StringEncrypt() is insecure and removed from those builds.

AHHHHH, thanks for that! I was unaware that I was not using the latest build, I guess I haven't looked for an update in a while......

I may make a quick hack for now to get it working but will make it a better fix soon. For now I will pull the code.

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

There is a StringEncrypt() here...because I wrote the example and function.

_Crypt_EncryptData()

UDF List:

• Moderators

What I meant is to never change the hard-coded $FacingPassword once you set it initially, of course you can change the passwords used for each item, and all notes can be edited to update the info saved in them.

Ian

Thanks for the clarification, the OP was just worded fuzzy. Probably just me :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Okie dokie, thanks again to guinness for pointing out that my version of AutoIt was out of date and that I accidentally posted an unhappy script! I was planning on going low-tech and just including the old _StringEncrypt as a quick fix, but nah, I fixed it the right way.

Code updated in first post.

Ian

My projects:

Why not make $FacingPassword a constant? I also have a few improvements with your code if you're willing to listen?!

UDF List:

How about adding a display password feature? See signature for example.

UDF List:

Not sure what you mean by the display password feature, I'll have a look in your sig in a few hours. What would be the difference in declaring $FacingPassword as a const?

As for ideas, I'm always open to suggestions and help of any kind!! Still have a few more myself.

Ian

My projects:

What I meant was next to the password inputs have a button to "display the password", so basically take away the password mask.

Suggestions:

1. Use a switch...endswitch to read GUI messages. If statements are not suited for this job.
  2. Declaring as constant will ensure a user doesn't overwrite the variable data. AutoIt will warn about the error before compile time if a user has overwritten the variable.
  3. Use #AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w 7 at the top of the script and fix all associated errors that are as a result of checking for undeclared variables and unused.

That will do for now.

UDF List:

I'm fine with 1 and 3, don't think the password should ever be viewable to prevent shoulder surfing.

I still don't understand the const thing, I see people use it but don't know why. I'll just have to look in the helpfile in the morning to try to understand why you suggest it.

Thanks, goodnight :)

Ian

My projects:

Global Const $THISCANNOTBECHANGE = 'SOMETHING'
Global $THISCANBECHANGED = 'SOMETHINGELSE'

$THISCANNOTBECHANGE = 'SOMETHINGNEW' ; This causes an error.
ConsoleWrite($THISCANNOTBECHANGE & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite($THISCANBECHANGED & @CRLF)

Constants are what programmers should use to avoid 'magic numbers' or to make their code more readable to others.

UDF List:

Code updated in first post, thanks to guinness for the suggestions.

Of course I want to release quality code, but I'm feeling a bit negative about the changes though. One of the things I have always been very thankful for with AutoIt is not having to declare what kind of variables I am creating or having any hassles really, you basically just throw the variable out there and it works. Implementing the wrapper suggestion made me kinda sad, because it seems like such a waste to have to put a bloody "Local" in front of any line that is creating a variable just to make the wrapper happy, seems extremely unnecessary and makes the code uglier. Likewise with the Const for $FacingPassword - OK, I get the point that setting it as a Const will prevent it from being changed....but it was never changing anyway, so..........why bother with that? If someone just downloaded the code and decided to bugger with that variable, that person didn't understand its purpose in the first place........

I am not ungrateful for the suggestions guinness, I should be trying to follow the rules of good coding and I did those things in the hope that it is the "right" way to do it, but eesh, seems like more trouble than it is worth.....

Ian

My projects:

I understand. I will remember in future not to suggest code enhancements to you. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I hope you don't take offence to what I am about to say, but declaring inside a loop is different to say the likes of declaring inside a loop in C#. With AutoIt it can decrease the speed of execution as the interpreter checks whether the variable is declared already on each iteration and thus is recommended to declare outside of the loop. Therefore my recommendation is to revert back to what you had before minus my "suggestions". Thank you.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

file Protector ? jpg,png, ........

[271991] ;1
Description=0xC98C1849    ;filename1
Data=0x949F4163146E55AA907FE38C5640EFD09C8C5E1D0C45EF56DDAD7029158FE5B96E4092CC4467B7869B8001DA509040016F670FA564E758ECB612EB26E8  ;file1
[938457] ;2
Description=0xC98C1848 ;filename2
Data=0x949F4163146E55AA907FE38C5640EFD09C8C5E1D0C45EF56DDAD7029158FE5B96E4092CC4467B7869B8001DA509040016F670FA564E758ECB612EB26E9 ;file2
Edited by mesale0077