Settings INI - Read/Write once to the disk.

guinness

This is a really crude way of reading a simple (I mean simple) INI file and not having to read and write all the time using the INI functions. I know something like this already exists by AZJIO, but I wanted to target the newbie market.

It uses no global variables (the enums are only there so I don't have to worry about what 0,1,2 actually means) and only 2 static variables, filepath and dictionary. Enjoy!

#include <FileConstants.au3>
#include <StringConstants.au3>

Global Const $VARGETTYPE_BINARY = 'Binary', _
        $VARGETTYPE_BOOL = 'Bool', _
        $VARGETTYPE_DOUBLE = 'Double', _
        $VARGETTYPE_INT32 = 'Int32', $VARGETTYPE_INT64 = 'Int64', _
        $VARGETTYPE_PTR = 'Ptr', _
        $VARGETTYPE_STRING = 'String'
Global Const $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BINARY = '(binary)', _
        $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BOOL = '(bool)', _
        $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_DOUBLE = '(double)', _
        $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_INT = '(int)', _
        $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_PTR = '(ptr)', _
        $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_STRING = '(string)'

Global Const $SETTINGS_GUID = 'D6FFD9DF-F1B7-4C07-89C3-F8B597EEC1CF'
Global Enum $SETTINGS_ASSOC, $SETTINGS_DUMP, $SETTINGS_FILEPATH, $SETTINGS_ID, $SETTINGS_MAX, $SETTINGS_GET, $SETTINGS_SET, $SETTINGS_SHUTDOWN, $SETTINGS_STARTUP
Global Enum $SETTINGS_KEY, $SETTINGS_DATATYPE, $SETTINGS_VALUE

Example()

; Useful if you only have a single settings file for the application.
Func Example()
    Local $hSettings = _Settings(@ScriptDir & '\Settings.ini') ; Start the settings by passing the filepath that returns a settings object.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Get($hSettings, 'Language', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the language key value of the settings object.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Set($hSettings, 'Language', 'English') & @CRLF) ; Set the language key value to English using the settings object.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Set($hSettings, 'Number', 100) & @CRLF) ; Set the int key value to 100 using the settings object.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Get($hSettings, 'Language', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the language key value of the settings object.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Get($hSettings, 'Int', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the int key value of the settings object.
    _Settings_Dump($hSettings) ; Dump the settings object to disk.
    ConsoleWrite(_Settings_FilePath($hSettings) & @CRLF) ; Get the filepath of the settings object.
EndFunc   ;==>Example

; Useful if you only
Func Example_Static()
    If _Settings_Static(@ScriptDir & '\Settings_Static.ini') Then; Start the settings by passing the filepath. This returns either true or false.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_Get('Language', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the language key value.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_Set('Language', 'English') & @CRLF) ; Set the language key value to English.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_Set('Number', 100) & @CRLF) ; Set the int key value to 100.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_Get('Language', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the language key value.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_Get('Int', 'None') & @CRLF) ; Get the int key value
        _Settings_Static_Dump() ; Dump the settings to disk.
        ConsoleWrite(_Settings_Static_FilePath() & @CRLF) ; Get the filepath of the settings.
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example_Static

Func _Settings($sFilePath)
    Local $aSettings[$SETTINGS_MAX]
    If _AssociativeArray_Startup($aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC], False) Then
        Local $aSRE = StringRegExp(FileRead($sFilePath), '(?:^|\R)([^=]+)=(\(\w+\))([^\r\n]*)', $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH), _
                $vValue = 0
        For $i = 0 To UBound($aSRE) - 1 Step 3
            $vValue = $aSRE[$i + $SETTINGS_VALUE]
            Switch $aSRE[$i + $SETTINGS_DATATYPE]
                Case $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BINARY
                    $vValue = Binary($vValue)

Case $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BOOL
                    $vValue = (($vValue == 'True') ? True : False)

Case $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_DOUBLE
                    $vValue = Number($vValue)

Case $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_INT
                    $vValue = Int($vValue)

Case $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_PTR
                    $vValue = Ptr($vValue)

Case Else
                    $vValue = String($vValue)

EndSwitch
            $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Item($aSRE[$i]) = $vValue
        Next
        $aSettings[$SETTINGS_FILEPATH] = $sFilePath
        $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ID] = $SETTINGS_GUID ; Set the GUID if the associative array was created successfully.
    Else
        $aSettings = Null ; Set to Null if an error occurred.
    EndIf
    Return $aSettings
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings

Func _Settings_Dump(ByRef $aSettings)
    Local $bReturn = False
    If __Settings_IsAPI($aSettings) And $aSettings[$SETTINGS_DUMP] Then
        Local $aItems = $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Items(), $aKeys = $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Keys(), _
                $iItemsUBound = UBound($aItems)
        If $iItemsUBound = UBound($aKeys) Then
            $bReturn = True
            Local $sData = ''
            For $i = 0 To UBound($aItems) - 1
                Switch VarGetType($aItems[$i])
                    Case $VARGETTYPE_BINARY
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BINARY & $aItems[$i]

Case $VARGETTYPE_BOOL
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_BOOL & $aItems[$i]

Case $VARGETTYPE_DOUBLE
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_DOUBLE & $aItems[$i]

Case $VARGETTYPE_INT32, $VARGETTYPE_INT64
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_INT & $aItems[$i]

Case $VARGETTYPE_PTR
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_PTR & $aItems[$i]

Case Else
                        $aItems[$i] = $SETTINGS_DATATYPE_STRING & $aItems[$i]

EndSwitch
                $sData &= $aKeys[$i] & '=' & $aItems[$i] & @CRLF
            Next
            _SetFile($sData, $aSettings[$SETTINGS_FILEPATH], True)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    Return $bReturn
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Dump

Func _Settings_FilePath(ByRef $aSettings)
    Return __Settings_IsAPI($aSettings) ? $aSettings[$SETTINGS_FILEPATH] : Null
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_FilePath

Func _Settings_Get(ByRef $aSettings, $sKey, $sDefault)
    If __Settings_IsAPI($aSettings) Then
        If $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Exists($sKey) Then
            $sDefault = $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Item($sKey)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    Return $sDefault
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Get

Func _Settings_Set(ByRef $aSettings, $sKey, $sValue)
    Local $bReturn = False
    If __Settings_IsAPI($aSettings) Then
        $bReturn = True
        $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ASSOC].Item($sKey) = $sValue
        $aSettings[$SETTINGS_DUMP] = True
    EndIf
    Return $bReturn
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Set

Func _Settings_Static($sFilePath)
    _Settings_Static_Dump() ; Dump the previous contents to disk.
    Return __Settings_Static($sFilePath, Null, $SETTINGS_STARTUP)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static

Func _Settings_Static_Dump()
    Return __Settings_Static(Null, Null, $SETTINGS_DUMP)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static_Dump

Func _Settings_Static_FilePath()
    Return __Settings_Static(Null, Null, $SETTINGS_FILEPATH)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static_FilePath

Func _Settings_Static_Get($sKey, $sDefault)
    Return __Settings_Static($sKey, $sDefault, $SETTINGS_GET)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static_Get

Func _Settings_Static_Set($sKey, $sValue)
    Return __Settings_Static($sKey, $sValue, $SETTINGS_SET)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static_Set

Func _Settings_Static_Shutdown()
    _Settings_Static_Dump() ; Dump the previous contents to disk.
    Return __Settings_Static(Null, Null, $SETTINGS_SHUTDOWN)
EndFunc   ;==>_Settings_Static_Shutdown

Func __Settings_Static($sKey, $sValue, $iAction)
    Local Static $hSettings = Null

Local $vReturn = False
    Switch $iAction
        Case $SETTINGS_DUMP
            $vReturn = _Settings_Dump($hSettings)

Case $SETTINGS_FILEPATH
            $vReturn = _Settings_FilePath($hSettings)

Case $SETTINGS_GET ; Getter
            $vReturn = _Settings_Get($hSettings, $sKey, $sValue)

Case $SETTINGS_SET ; Setter
            $vReturn = _Settings_Set($hSettings, $sKey, $sValue)

Case $SETTINGS_SHUTDOWN
            $vReturn = True
            $hSettings = Null

Case $SETTINGS_STARTUP
            $vReturn = True
            $hSettings = _Settings($sKey)

EndSwitch
    Return $vReturn
EndFunc   ;==>__Settings_Static

Func __Settings_IsAPI(ByRef $aSettings)
    Return UBound($aSettings) = $SETTINGS_MAX And $aSettings[$SETTINGS_ID] = $SETTINGS_GUID
EndFunc   ;==>__Settings_IsAPI

Func _AssociativeArray_Startup(ByRef $aArray, $bIsCaseSensitive = False) ; Idea from MilesAhead.
    Local $bReturn = False
    $aArray = ObjCreate('Scripting.Dictionary')
    If IsObj($aArray) Then
        $aArray.CompareMode = ($bIsCaseSensitive ? 0 : 1)
        $bReturn = True
    EndIf
    Return $bReturn
EndFunc   ;==>_AssociativeArray_Startup

Func _SetFile(ByRef $sString, $sFilePath, $bOverwrite = False, $iMode = Default)
    Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, ($bOverwrite ? $FO_OVERWRITE : $FO_APPEND) + (IsDefault($iMode) ? 0 : $iMode)), _
            $iError = 2
    If $hFileOpen > -1 Then
        $iError = (FileWrite($hFileOpen, $sString) ? 0 : 1)
        FileClose($hFileOpen)
    EndIf
    Return SetError($iError, 0, $hFileOpen > -1)
EndFunc   ;==>_SetFile

Func IsDefault($vDefault)
    Return $vDefault = Default
EndFunc   ;==>IsDefault
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

It's a great idea, I really liked it!

JS

Thanks.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Hello,

thanks, very interesting, but I have a problem to compile :

warning: $STR_REGEXPARRAYGLOBALMATCH: possibly used before declaration.

It's in v3.3.12.0 or replace with 3.

UDF List:

Thanks, I update to 3.3.12.0

You didn't have to, but good you did. Any issues with the example?

UDF List:

Nice implementation, guinness.  Associative Arrays are probably the best way to represent this stuff.

Thanks. Though I should mention the structure of the "ini" file is basically a simple config file with key=value and not section header. Though I was all about the idea rather than implementation.

UDF List:

OK my interest has peaked again with this example. I am considering sprinkling some "guinness magic" on it and coming up with a solution in which you pass a "settings handle" to the available functions, just like in Stack(), Stopwatch() and Queue() to name a few. (See my signature for those UDFs.)

UDF List:

Thank you for all of your regular contributions, guinness!

No problem. I will be back soon with an update.

UDF List:

Thanks. Though I should mention the structure of the "ini" file is basically a simple config file with key=value and not section header. Though I was all about the idea rather than implementation.

True, sections could be a problem. I suppose you could create multiple Dictionary objects, 1 for each section, although that seems a bit much..  Or you could add a prefix or suffix to the key or value to indicate what section it's from.. though you'd need to parse that on the way out. Or just store the whole thing in a string with special characters used as section/key/value delimeters.  Meh, this does complicate a rather simple idea.

Another place you could put this to use would be command-line arguments

Yeah, I am just happy with my custom config because I only needed it for simple settings.

UDF List:

As promised using my secret formula.

Edit: See first post for merged code.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Added _Settings_Shutdown() to the first example and updated the second example too.

UDF List:

Out of curiosity guinness, what's the purpose of ObjEvent line?

Nothing, I should have removed it ages ago.

UDF List:

Another update in which I added _Settings_FilePath() to the first example. I think I am done with this for now.

UDF List:

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed unused variable of $fReturn in first example.

UDF List: