_Fibonacci() - Calculate the Fibonacci number of a decimal value.

guinness

This function will calculate the Finonacci number based on a decimal value.

Function:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _Fibonacci
; Description ...: Calculate the Fibonacci number of a decimal value.
; Syntax ........: _Fibonacci($iIterations)
; Parameters ....: $iIterations - An integer value to iterate to.
; Return values .: Success - Fibonacci value
; Author ........: guinness & UEZ
; Link ..........: C++ example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming#Coding_styles
; Example .......: Yes
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _Fibonacci($iIterations)
    $iIterations = Int($iIterations)
    Local $iFirst = 0, $iSecond = 1, $iSum = 0
    If $iIterations > 92 Then
        $iSecond = 1.0
    EndIf
    For $i = 0 To ($iIterations - 1)
        $iSum = $iFirst + $iSecond
        $iFirst = $iSecond
        $iSecond = $iSum
    Next
    Return $iFirst
EndFunc   ;==>_Fibonacci
Function V3.9.9.4+

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Author ........: guinness & trancexx
; Link ..........: C++ example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming#Coding_styles
; ===============================================================================================================================
    $iIterations = Int($iIterations)
    Local $iFirst = 0, $iSecond = ($iIterations > 92) ? 1.0 : 1, $iSum = 0
        $iFirst = $iSecond
        $iSecond = $iSum
    Next
    Return $iFirst
EndFunc   ;==>_Fibonacci
Example use of Function:

For $i = 0 To 20
    ConsoleWrite($i & ' >> ' & _Fibonacci($i) & @CRLF)
Next
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I would suggest to insert the following line as first line of the function.

If $iIterations < 0 Or $iIterations > 92 Then Exit MsgBox(262144, "_Fibonacci Func", "Iteration value '" & $iIterations & "' out of bounds (0 to 92)", 0)

True, though as you know functions should simply return, not Exit or invoke a MsgBox of some description.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It's the new ternary notation in the beta version.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

A replacement of _Iif in Misc.au3, thank goodness.

UDF List:

I think the line must be

$iSecond = ($iIterations > 92) ? 1.0 * $iSum : 1 * $iSum

to work properly (on alpha version).

It switches from integer to floating point.

ConsoleWrite(_Fibonacci(1000) & @LF)

;                 Failure - -1 & sets @error to non-zero.
; Author ........: guinness
    If IsNumber($iIterations) = 0 Then
        $iIterations = Number($iIterations)
    EndIf
;~   If $iIterations < 0 Or $iIterations > 92 Then
;~       Return SetError(1, 0, -1)
;~   EndIf
    Local $iFirst = 0, $iSecond = 1, $iSum = 0
        $iFirst = $iSecond
        If $iIterations > 92 Then
            $iSecond = $iSum * 1.0
        Else
            $iSecond = $iSum
        EndIf
    Next
    Return $iFirst
EndFunc   ;==>_Fibonacci

Floating point can handle 64bit numbers...

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

See first post.

UDF List:

@guinness: the code in post#8 is also working with current release (3.3.8.1). ;)

Here some more variants:

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

I will update the initial version too and add your handle.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I think the line must be

$iSecond = ($iIterations > 92) ? 1.0 * $iSum : 1 * $iSum

to work properly (on alpha version).

Actually no. More correct is to do it just the way I said - when declaring. You don't want unnecessary evaluations and mathematical operations inside the loop. Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Updated first post.

UDF List:

Actually no. More correct is to do it just the way I said - when declaring. You don't want unnecessary evaluations and mathematical operations inside the loop.

Yep, you are right again. :)

@guinness: maybe you can add also the recursive variant to your 1st post to complete iterative and recursive variants. ;)

$n = 1000

ConsoleWrite(Fibonacci_r2($n) & @CRLF)

Func Fibonacci_r2($f)
    If $f < 2 Then Return $f
    If $f > 1476 Then Return 0
    Return Fibonacci_r2_(1, 1, $f)
EndFunc

Func Fibonacci_r2_($f1, $f2, $fn)
    If $fn < 3 Then Return $f2
    Return Fibonacci_r2_($f2, $f1 * 1.0 + $f2 * 1.0, $fn - 1)
EndFunc

As far as I can remember the code above was written by AspirinJunkie but I'm not sure...

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

• 5 months later...

Updated the function by removing the exclusive check for whether $iIterations is an integer and instead just cast as an Int.

Edited by guinness

UDF List: