Hashing an Array - Methods?

My current idea involves iterating through the array and recalculating the hash based on the previous hash and appending the next element as I go.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Crypt.au3>
Dim $arr[1][3][2]=[[["All","Your"],["Base","Are"],["Belong","To Us"]]]   ;Declare an Array for Testing
$bin = _HashArray($arr)
ConsoleWrite($bin & @CRLF)

Func _HashArray($arr)
    Dim $enc   
    Global $arrDims[1][2]=[["ElementIdx","ElementCount"]]   ;Create an Array to Track Dimensions and Elements
    For $x = 1 to UBound($arr,0)
        ReDim $arrDims[$x+1][2]
        $arrDims[$x][0]=0
        $arrDims[$x][1]=UBound($arr,$x)
    Next
    Do   ;Loop Through Array Elements
        $var = "$arr"
        For $x = 1 to UBound($arrDims)-1
            $var &= "[" & $arrDims[$x][0] & "]"
        Next
        $enc = _Crypt_HashData($enc & Execute($var),$CALG_MD5)   ;Update Hash
        $arrDims[UBound($arrDims)-1][0] += 1   ;Increment Last Dimension Element
        For $y = UBound($arrDims)-2 To 1 Step -1   ;Increment Dimension Element
            If $arrDims[$y+1][0] = $arrDims[$y+1][1] Then
                $arrDims[$y+1][0]=0
                $arrDims[$y][0]+=1
            EndIf
        Next
    Until $arrDims[1][0]=$arrDims[1][1]
    Return $enc
EndFunc

Sorry the code is confusing. I went off on a tangent to handle multidimensional arrays dynamically.

Does anyone have a recommendation or practice on how to hash an array?

edit: added some comments to the example code

Edited by spudw2k

Do you mean Associative Arrays? If I'm wrong then sorry about that.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

OK. Why not use _ArrayUnique or a similar approach and then calculate the hash or vice versa. You'll have to modify it for 2d Arrays, but this isn't a challenge for you.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I think array unique filters out duplicates...yes? I want to retain all my array data (which may or may not already be unique).

I guess I was mostly wondering if the way I am doing it is any good or if there is a better way besides my own proprietary take on it.

Edited by spudw2k

Sorry spudw2k, seems I'm burnt out for today as I'm not providing correct answers.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I doubt it! :oops:

UDF List:

Let me offer what comes to my mind but realize I may have got you wrong.

Feed your array to a (modified or not!) version of the code below, optionally removing all formatting and displaying code you don't need. Then hash the resulting string. As long as you don't touch the formatting (or lack thereof) in the dump function, your hash will be reproductible whatever content you have. Well almost, don't forget that objects are opaque so you can't easily hash their "contents".

Debugging usage is ConsoleWrite(_VarDump($MyArray) & @LF).

EDIT: buggy code removed. See correction a few posts below. Sorry for that.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Thanks for the contribution. I can definately understand that there's be a performance issue with calculating a hash once for a long string vs each element in an array. It didn't seem to take too long for my needs though. I thought i'd be a good way to make the hash more complex, but maybe i shouldn't even care.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Crypt.au3>
Dim $arr[1][3][2]=[[["All","Your"],["Base","Are"],["Belong","To Us"]]]   ;Declare an Array for Testing
$arrStr = _DynArrayToString($arr)
ConsoleWrite($arrStr & @CRLF)
$bin = _Crypt_HashData($arrStr,$CALG_MD5)
ConsoleWrite($bin & @CRLF)

Func _DynArrayToString($arr)
    Dim $str
    Global $arrDims[1][2]=[["ElementIdx","ElementCount"]]   ;Create an Array to Track Dimensions and Elements
    For $x = 1 to UBound($arr,0)
        ReDim $arrDims[$x+1][2]
        $arrDims[$x][0]=0
        $arrDims[$x][1]=UBound($arr,$x)
    Next
    Do   ;Loop Through Array Elements
        $var = ""
        For $x = 1 to UBound($arrDims)-1
            $var &= "[" & $arrDims[$x][0] & "]"
        Next
        $str &= $var & Execute("$arr"&$var)
        $arrDims[UBound($arrDims)-1][0] += 1   ;Increment Last Dimension Element
        For $y = UBound($arrDims)-2 To 1 Step -1   ;Increment Dimension Element
            If $arrDims[$y+1][0] = $arrDims[$y+1][1] Then
                $arrDims[$y+1][0]=0
                $arrDims[$y][0]+=1
            EndIf
        Next
    Until $arrDims[1][0]=$arrDims[1][1]
    Return $str
EndFunc
Edited by spudw2k

It isn't only a performance issue. Hashing the type as well makes a difference: any array element whose content was "123" and gets changed to123 won't lead to the same hash if you hash the type along with the value. It may or not impact your use case but in general I thought it would be safer.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Not at all, it's plain wrong with some types. I'm fighting fixing it (at what I posted was an old and buggy code anyway).

Oh well... Stay tuned.

Here is a corrected version. It's not pretty but should work much better.

Note that the new Null keyword needs the 3.3.9.2 beta.

;
; dump variables
;
; sample data
Local $var = ObjCreate("shell.application")
Local $s = DllStructCreate("dword;byte[3];dword[14]")
DllStructSetData($s, 1, 0xdeadbeef)
DllStructSetData($s, 2, 0x67, 1)
DllStructSetData($s, 2, 0x78, 2)
DllStructSetData($s, 2, 0x89, 3)
DllStructSetData($s, 3, 0x89674523, 14)
Local $ar2[2][3] = [[0,1,2], [3,4,5]]
Local $ar[7] = ["1", 2, Binary("0x12345678"), WinGetHandle("[active]"), $s, _
Binary("0x12349999999999999999999999999999999999988888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888889999995678"), $ar2]
Local $array[16] = ["abc def", 123456789012345, "129", 129, 119.0 + 3 * 3.3333333333333333333333, 129.0000000001, _
1.29e134, Default, 1.0/0.0, Null, $ar, (1 = 1.0), Ptr(-12), Ptr(123456) - Ptr(123444), 0/0, _
"aaaaaaaafvsdnlodvgnlsdvnlovsnlodvsnlosdvnldvndvnlodnldfnoqdfnlodfnoldfnlodvfnlodvfnoldvnlodnlovdnlodvnldvnlvdnlozzzzzzzzz"]
; usage
ConsoleWrite("$var is: " & _VarDump($var) & @LF & @LF)
ConsoleWrite("$array is: " & _VarDump($array) & @LF)

Func _VarDump(ByRef $vVar, $sIndent = '')
Local $ret, $len
    Select
  Case IsDllStruct($vVar)
   $len = DllStructGetSize($vVar)
   Local $bstruct = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $len & "]", DllStructGetPtr($vVar))
   $ret = 'Struct(' & $len & ') @:' & Hex(DllStructGetPtr($vVar)) & ' = '
   If $len <= 32 Then
    Return($ret & DllStructGetData($bstruct, 1))
   Else
    Return($ret & BinaryMid(DllStructGetData($bstruct, 1), 1, 16) & ' ... ' & StringTrimLeft(BinaryMid(DllStructGetData($bstruct, 1), $len - 15, 16), 2))
   EndIf
        Case IsArray($vVar)
   Local $iSubscripts = UBound($vVar, 0)
   Local $sDims = 'Array'
   $iSubscripts -= 1
   For $i = 0 To $iSubscripts
    $sDims &= '[' & UBound($vVar, $i + 1) & ']'
   Next
            Return $sDims & @CRLF & _VarDumpArray($vVar, $sIndent)
        Case IsBinary($vVar)
   $len = BinaryLen($vVar)
   $ret = 'Binary(' & BinaryLen($vVar) & ') = '
   If $len <= 32 Then
    Return($ret & $vVar)
   Else
    Return($ret & BinaryMid($vVar, 1, 16) & ' ... ' & StringTrimLeft(BinaryMid($vVar, $len - 15, 16), 2))
   EndIf
        Case IsBool($vVar)
            Return 'Boolean ' & $vVar
        Case IsFloat($vVar) Or (IsInt($vVar) And VarGetType($vVar) = "Double")
            Return 'Double ' & $vVar
        Case IsHWnd($vVar)
            Return 'HWnd ' & $vVar
        Case IsInt($vVar)
            Return "Integer(" & StringRight(VarGetType($vVar), 2) & ') ' & $vVar
        Case IsKeyword($vVar)
   $ret = 'Keyword '
   If $vVar = Null Then
            Return $ret & 'Null'
  Else
            Return $ret & $vVar
  EndIf
        Case IsPtr($vVar)
            Return 'Pointer @:' & StringTrimLeft($vVar, 2)
        Case IsObj($vVar)
            Return 'Object ' & ObjName($vVar)
        Case IsString($vVar)
   $len = StringLen($vVar)
   $ret = 'String(' & $len & ") '"
   If $len <= 64 Then
    Return $ret & $vVar & "'"
   Else
    Return($ret & StringMid($vVar, 1, 32) & ' ... ' & StringTrimLeft(StringMid($vVar, $len - 31, 32), 2)) & "'"
   EndIf
        Case Else
            Return 'Unknown ' & $vVar
    EndSelect
EndFunc
Func _VarDumpArray(ByRef $aArray, $sIndent = @TAB)
    Local $sDump
    Local $sArrayFetch, $sArrayRead, $bDone
    Local $iSubscripts = UBound($aArray, 0)
    Local $aUBounds[$iSubscripts]
    Local $aCounts[$iSubscripts]
    $iSubscripts -= 1
        $aUBounds[$i] = UBound($aArray, $i + 1) - 1
        $aCounts[$i] = 0
    Next
    $sIndent &= @TAB
    While 1
        $bDone = True
        $sArrayFetch = ''
            $sArrayFetch &= '[' & $aCounts[$i] & ']'
            If $aCounts[$i] < $aUBounds[$i] Then $bDone = False
        Next
        $sArrayRead = Execute('$aArray' & $sArrayFetch)
        If @error Then
            ExitLoop
        Else
            $sDump &= $sIndent & $sArrayFetch & ' => ' & _VarDump($sArrayRead, $sIndent)
            If Not $bDone Then
                $sDump &= @CRLF
            Else
                Return $sDump
            EndIf
        EndIf
        For $i = $iSubscripts To 0 Step -1
            $aCounts[$i] += 1
            If $aCounts[$i] > $aUBounds[$i] Then
                $aCounts[$i] = 0
            Else
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        Next
    WEnd
EndFunc
Edited by jchd