_StringReplaceWholeWord() - Replaces substrings in a string, but will replace the whole word instead of if the word is contained within another.

guinness

StringReplace is great but sometimes you want to replace a whole instead of partially, for example StringReplace will replace the word 'word' in 'wording', whereas this function won't do that.

Function:

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _StringReplaceWholeWord
; Description ...: Replaces substrings in a string, but will replace the whole word instead of if the word is contained within another.
; Syntax ........: _StringReplaceWholeWord($sString, $sSearchString, $sReplaceString[, $fCaseSensitive = Default])
; Parameters ....: $sString             - The string to evaluate.
;                  $sSearchString       - The substring to search for.
;                  $sReplaceString      - The replacement string.
;                  $fCaseSensitive      - [optional] Use case-sensitivity. Default is False.
; Return values .: Returns the new string, the number of replacements performed is stored in @extended.
; Author ........: guinness
; Remarks .......: Additional help and advice from SmOke_N.
; Example .......: Yes
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _StringReplaceWholeWord($sString, $sSearchString, $sReplaceString, $fCaseSensitive = Default)
    Return StringRegExpReplace($sString, ($fCaseSensitive ? '(?-i)' : '(?i)') & '(?<!-)\b' & $sSearchString & '\b(?!-)', StringReplace($sReplaceString, '\', '\\'))
EndFunc   ;==>_StringReplaceWholeWord
Example use of Function:

ConsoleWrite(_StringReplaceWholeWord('This is a simple string with a Word and worded.', 'word', '(non-word)', Default) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(_StringReplaceWholeWord('This is a simple string with a Word and worded.', 'Word', '(non-word)', True) & @CRLF)
ConsoleWrite(_StringReplaceWholeWord('This is a simple string with a Word and worded.', 'word', '(non-word)', True) & @CRLF)
SmOke_N's version: Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Ah, good point, I didn't test for that but you're right of course. I will have a look around to see if I can find the workaround.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Fixed it!

UDF List:

• Moderators

No time to test, but curious if:

"bQ" & $s_word2replace & "Eb" would work?

I suggest because of speed only, if it works the same, it's probably faster than having to "neg look behind/ahead".

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

No time to test, but curious if:

"bQ" & $s_word2replace & "Eb" would work?

I suggest because of speed only, if it works the same, it's probably faster than having to "neg look behind/ahead".

No that doesn't work unfortunately. Ray in X-Ray is replaced with X-NewWord.

UDF List:

• Moderators

Underscore as well, also, is the theme to be limited to replacing words only with words or is it to allow to replace with anything?

How I saw it:

Local $s_st  = "Ray ray needs an X-ray of his teeth by Dr. Raymond"
ConsoleWrite(_stringReplaceExactWord($s_st, "ray", "Mr. Ray") & @CRLF)
Func _stringReplaceExactWord($s_str, $s_word, $s_with, $f_case = True, $i_count = 0)
    Local $s_case = "(?i)"
    If $f_case Then $s_case = ""

Local $s_pattern = $s_case & "(?<![-_])bQ" & $s_word & "Eb(?![-_])"

; probably need to escape slash chars with the "replace with" string
    $s_with = StringReplace($s_with, "", "", 0, 1)

Local $s_rep = StringRegExpReplace($s_str, $s_pattern, $s_with, $i_count)
    ; set error if nothing found
    ; set extended with number of words replaced
    Return SetError(@extended = 0, @extended, $s_rep)
EndFunc

Let me know if I'm mistaken.

Edited by SmOke_N
Had to change logical order of the default value of $f_case; Also had to fix return error and example!

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Underscore as well, also, is the theme to be limited to replacing words only with words or is it to allow to replace with anything?Let me know if I'm mistaken.

The fact I understand your regular exp<b></b>ression, shows I'm learning at least.

About my intentions, it was to replace a word with anything but only sticking to the boundaries of a word ([a-zA-Z0-9_]) when searching, hence why I didn't use Q...E or do you think it would still be a smart move to disable metacharacters?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Moderators

The fact I understand your regular expression, shows I'm learning at least.

About my intentions, it was to replace a word with anything but only sticking to the boundaries of a word ([a-zA-Z0-9_]) when searching, hence why I didn't use Q...E or do you think it would still be a smart move to disable metacharacters?

As much as I enjoy regex, I'm starting to confuse my ownself... I'd keep it simple like you did, the below shows your pattern working:

Local $s_st  = "I have two functions, _HelpMeImFalling() and HelpMeImFalling()"
ConsoleWrite(_stringReplaceExactWord($s_st, "HelpMeImFalling", "_TooLateIFell") & @CRLF)
Func _stringReplaceExactWord($s_str, $s_word, $s_with, $f_case = True, $i_count = 0)
    Local $s_case = "(?i)"
    If $f_case Then $s_case = ""

Local $s_pattern = $s_case & "(?<!-)b" & $s_word & "b(?!-)"

; probably need to escape slash chars with the "replace with" string
    $s_with = StringReplace($s_with, "", "", 0, 1)

Local $s_rep = StringRegExpReplace($s_str, $s_pattern, $s_with, $i_count)
    ; set error if nothing found
    ; set extended with number of words replaced
    Return SetError(@extended = 0, @extended, $s_rep)
EndFunc

Can't think of a way it would fail unless the word to replace is non "w" characters.

Oh great. I will replace my version with your slight modification or I shall just link to yours. Thanks for helping.

UDF List:

• Moderators

Oh great. I will replace my version with your slight modification or I shall just link to yours. Thanks for helping.

Modify yours if you like, I need no credit... I enjoy seeing people learning regex.

True, when the original poster *cough* *cough* shows effort, you feel obliged to help. -_0

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• 5 months later...

The Forum upgrade messed up the function code, so I re-posted for those who had trouble using it.

UDF List:

• 11 months later...

Updated the function by taking advantage of ternary operators.

UDF List: