IP Scanner

llewxam

I saw Manadar's update to nping earlier today and that reminded me of a script I did that was largely based on some of his work, thought I'd put it up.

Where nping is all command-line, this one offers a GUI to select which network adapter to use if there is more than one present, scans 0-255 and puts used/free IPs in separate lists, gives the round-trip ping time for a single request on found IPs, resolves the IPs to host names, and if you double-click a found IP it will give you a full, standard 4-request ping to that IP.

I wrote this many years ago while doing some contract work at a very large facility where finding free IPs to set up a network printer etc was the most horrible process of random pings at the command prompt, this tool should be a big help for others in the same situations.

Enjoy, and thanks to Manadar for the function that is the real meat and bones of this script!

Ian

*Updated 7/8/10 - added a button to copy the IP address to the clipboard.
*Updated 11/20/10 - added the Copy to Clipboard for unused IPs, and a Save to File function. Minor tweaks as well.
*Updated 2/6/11 - added $used to Local declaration, found that the script crashed when multiple connections were available unless $used was declared.
*Updated 2/20/11 - switched the found IP list to a ListView, I just started using that and LOVE IT!! :mellow: Added a bit more real-time info and trimmed a little fat to improve speed.
*Updated 10/24/12 - updated GUI, added buttons to open a found IP in a web browser or Windows Explorer, and added a Rescan button so you don't have to quit and restart the app to rescan the IP range.
*Update 2 10/24/12 - slight goof on a variable that needed to be Global........

*Updated 11/4/13 - corrected silly bug (feature??) that skipped x.x.x.0, so anyone with a router (Linksys default) at x.x.x.0 that never showed up, sorry!  Also added RDP button and cleaned up a bit (Previous version downloaded 938 times)

*Updated 1/25/14 - added ping specific IP, can show external IP address of the modem, and will show which IP address is the gateway and which is the PC doing the scanning (Previous version downloaded 291 times)

IPScan.au3

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure I understand, would you like to have a txt file of IPs to scan, or scan a range and have the results saved? If you want to have a txt file of the results, just replace

GUICtrlSetData($used, $showHost[1] & "." & $showHost[2] & "." & $showHost[3] & "." & $lastOct & "   (" & $hostName & ")" & "   " & $pingTime & "ms")
with something like
FileWriteLine($outputFile, $showHost[1] & "." & $showHost[2] & "." & $showHost[3] & "." & $lastOct & "   (" & $hostName & ")" & "   " & $pingTime & "ms")

If you want to have a list of IPs scanned, 80% of this script would have to be ripped out so you'd be better off writing something from scratch I think. Manadar's threaded ping script is great for dealing with a lot of IPs.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the _HostName function you are using hangs the application for a short moment. Perhaps you can use "nbtstat -A ip.adr.res.s" in a similar way I did with ping to increase responsiveness. The ability to copy IP addresses in their normal format would be nice (perhaps right click > copy). The .0xx on the end makes no sense and many applications will not accept IP addresses in this format.

I noticed that the _HostName function you are using hangs the application for a short moment. Perhaps you can use "nbtstat -A ip.adr.res.s" in a similar way I did with ping to increase responsiveness. The ability to copy IP addresses in their normal format would be nice (perhaps right click > copy). The .0xx on the end makes no sense and many applications will not accept IP addresses in this format.

Thanks for the nbtstat suggestion, I will look in to that in the next couple evenings.

Padding the last octet was just for cosmetic reasons and just done for myself, I can't look at it like

I could add a "Copy IP to Clipboard" button that would not have the padded octet, that is a good idea actually. :blink:

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

I added a button to copy the selected IP address from the Used list to the clipboard, and it removes the 0 padding from the last octet.

I tried working the nbtstat suggestion in, but couldn't find a way to capture it's output. STDOUT wasn't able to do it, because the function was over before a While loop could start! Yeah, it's fast! :blink: I also tried redirecting it with a ">file.txt", but even though that worked fine in a command box, it wasn't so hot through a Run or ShellExecute command, plus then a file would have to be parsed and I'd like to avoid that. So long story short, any suggestions on how to grab its response?

Thanks!

Ian

My projects:

I tried working the nbtstat suggestion in, but couldn't find a way to capture it's output. STDOUT wasn't able to do it, because the function was over before a While loop could start! Yeah, it's fast! :blink: I also tried redirecting it with a ">file.txt", but even though that worked fine in a command box, it wasn't so hot through a Run or ShellExecute command, plus then a file would have to be parsed and I'd like to avoid that. So long story short, any suggestions on how to grab its response?

I had no trouble getting the output. Maybe a mistake on your end?

#include <Constants.au3>

$ip = @IPAddress1

$hProcess = Run("nbtstat /A " & $ip, "", @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)

Local $output = ""
While 1
    $output &= StdoutRead($hProcess)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend

ConsoleWrite($output)

And maybe a small detail, but how I do copy from the unused IP address list? ;) I know this can't be done, but it would be an improvement for the user if it could. Perhaps use context menus? Right click > Copy IP address.

Edited by Manadar

No, I use the same technique when a used IP is double-clicked to get the output from a Ping, then display it in a message box. I did the exact same thing as your example code just above, and yours wouldn't work for me just now either. I am using win 7 64bit and tried it compiled and not compiled, can anyone verify that Manadar's example works in that environment? I will also run some tests on other platforms when I get in to work. Odd that it works fine for a ping, not for nbtstat! :blink:

Also, I guess I could just allow the Copy to Clipboard to work for unused as well as used, I just didn't think about it..... That will be changed once the nbtstat issue is resolved.

Thanks!

Ian

My projects:

The nbtstat via Run DOES work on Win7 32bit, but not on 64. I tried setting the WorkingDir as well as threw in a #RequireAdmin for giggles, nothing made a difference..... :blink:

Ian

My projects:

The nbtstat via Run DOES work on Win7 32bit, but not on 64. I tried setting the WorkingDir as well as threw in a #RequireAdmin for giggles, nothing made a difference..... :blink:

Ian

I believe it is related to this.

#include <Constants.au3>

$ip = @IPAddress1

$hProcess = Run("nbtstat /A " & $ip, "", @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)

Local $output = ""
While 1
    $output &= StdoutRead($hProcess)
    If @error Then ExitLoop
Wend

ConsoleWrite($output)

And maybe a small detail, but how I do copy from the unused IP address list? Posted Image I know this can't be done, but it would be an improvement for the user if it could. Perhaps use context menus? Right click > Copy IP address.

Nice script llewxam.

Note : NBTSTAT is a localised command, try every NIC connected, and is also slow when finding a linux host (here a French XP OS querying my router) ...

C:\Documents and Settings\Franck Grieder>nbtstat -A 192.168.146.254

OnBoard:

Adresse IP du noeud : [192.168.146.50] ID d'étendue : []

Hôte introuvable.

VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Adresse IP du noeud : [192.168.56.1] ID d'étendue : []

Hôte introuvable.

Edited by FranckGr

• 4 months later...

First post updated with improved code.

Enjoy

Ian

My projects:

I believe it is related to this.

The same problem occurs to Mstsc.exe the solution is in the following code.

Local $stOldVal = DllStructCreate("dword")
DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($stOldVal))
$PID = Run(@WindowsDir & "\system32\mstsc.exe", @TempDir)
If ProcessExists($PID) Then Msgbox (64, "Process", "The Process ID = " & $PID)
DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "Wow64RevertWow64FsRedirection", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($stOldVal))
Edited by Emiel Wieldraaijer

Best regards,Emiel Wieldraaijer

• 2 months later...

I have added some tweaks, code in first post updated.

Odd side effect of these changes that I can not understand or correct is that the SplashTextOn() in Func _PingSpecific() will not show anything except a title, very strange, if anyone can see why please let me know.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Ian

My projects:

Nice update! One for the Script Folder :)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I have added some tweaks, code in first post updated.

Odd side effect of these changes that I can not understand or correct is that the SplashTextOn() in Func _PingSpecific() will not show anything except a title, very strange, if anyone can see why please let me know.

Otherwise, enjoy!

Ian

LOL, how often do you get to quote yourself??............

ANYWAY, I figured out what I had to do by following the as-usual wisdomic reply of Melba23 Pain in the butt, had to re-do LOTS of stuff, but it was worth it :)

Ian

My projects:

• 4 months later...

Just for reference you might want to check out an AutoIt ping utility I wrote here:

It is fully multi-threaded(real threads, not timers, adlib, or shell calls) so it works well for pinging multiple IP's simultaneously and you don't have to worry about parsing Stdout. It also handles every type of ping reply, errors and timeouts.

[size="1"][font="Lucida Console"]My ScriptsTrue multi-threaded ping[/font][/size]

• 2 months later...

Ian,

Good work, but there's a small bug in your code. For a class C network, there is no host at x.x.x.255 so if you change the size of the address[] array to 254 and change the For/Next to use up to 253 then you'll cover the 'legal' range of 1-254 inclusive, as shown in the snippet below.

I'd love to see this handle a bigger network, say 1024 hosts (subnet mask, 255.255.252.0) and I've had a look at changing it, but it's a lot of work with the way you handle the octets at the moment.

;Local $address[255]
Local $address[254]                            ; 4Eyes - 24/Sep/2011
;For $i = 0 To 254
For $i = 0 To 253                                 ; 4Eyes - 24/Sep/2011 - for a class C network only need 1-254
      $address[$i] = $range & $i + 1        ; We generate some IPs
Next