Updated: 7/30/12

OLD CONTENT BELOW

When working on multiple projects and documentation, taking screenshots, editing them, and then inserting them into files eats up some time. This little program helps to reduce some of that time by auto-opening your screen capture in the editor of your choice.By default, the captured image will open in mspaint, however, after opening the program, you may access the tray menu to change the configuration file and point to the editor/viewer of your choosing, change the default temporary save location, and change the jpeg compression of the image.

Basic Instructions:Run the .exe or script and the application will start in the background. The tray icon will be present.
  • Performing an PrtScn while having focus on a window will capture only that window.

• Performing an PrtScn while having no window in focus will capture your entire desktop (including multiple-monitor setups).

• Performing an Alt + PrtScn will capture your entire primary desktop only.

Performing any of these actions will automatically open your captured image in mspaint.To change your default editor/viewer, click on the tray icon and select "Edit Configuration File".NOTE: During this time, the capture feature will be disabled.It will open up the Ini file for editing. Change the 'Editor' value to the full path of the .exe of the editor/viewer of your choosing. Do NOT use quotes. Save the file and close it. A confirmation prompt will appear stating that the "Configuration Reloaded Successfully."While editing the Ini file, you can also change the default tmp capture file location as well as the JPEG compression quality.To exit the application, click on the tray icon and select "Exit".The program is very raw and will receive refinement and additional features over time.Please vote and let me know what you think and provide any and all feedback you would like: Feature requests, bugs, "Your Code/Program is Shit" comments, "Your Code/Program is Tha' Shit" comments, etc.

Intro:

When working on multiple projects and building documentation, taking screenshots, editing them, and then inserting them into files eats up some time. This little program helps to reduce some of that time by auto-opening your screen capture in the editor of your choice while having the ability to auto-save the captures in a sequenced file naming pattern.

Installation:

Run the Screen Edit vx.x.exe installer.

You are given a few different options for installation including setting up the shortcuts and the auto-start on login.After the installation is complete, you can either have it start right away, or manually start it via the program menu or shortcuts if applicable.

Comes packed with an uninstaller.

Instructions:

Use your 'Print Screen' button to capture anything on your desktop. If a specific window has focus (you're actively using it), it will capture that window. If no window has focus, it will capture all of your desktops. To do this, just left-click in some empty space on your desktop and it will remove focus from all windows. This also works on multi-monitor setups.

Alternatively, you can use 'ALT + Print Screen' to capture your entire default desktop (from your Default monitor).Upon performing either action, your captured image will automatically open in your editor (by default, this will be Microsoft Paint).If you have the save feature enabled in the configuration, a numbered file will be created. Every subsequent capture will create a new file in sequential order. You can also change the naming scheme of the files in the configuration as well. This is great when you're working on documentation for multiple projects and need a sequence of screenshots.

To access the configuration, click on the tray icon for Screen Edit.exe and click 'Edit Configuration File'.

The configuration settings include:

• Changing the default capture file location

• Auto-Save screen captures

• Changing the file name scheme

• Changing your default editor/viewer

• Changing the JPEG quality of the captured image

• Testing the output of the captured image with the current configuration

• Changing the Auto-Launch options

To exit the application, click on the tray menu for Screen Edit.exe and click 'Exit'.

Changes in version 1.1

General:

• Built an installer for the program

• Created GUI for altering the configuration

• Added tooltip to tray

• Added 'Disable App' to tray menu

Configuration Editor:
  • Gave the ability to browse for a folder to select as the default capture file location

• Added button to save the captures

• Added the ability to create a naming scheme for the saved file captures

• Program editor/viewer list is auto-generated when the 'Select' button is pressed in the 'Default Image Editor/Viewer' options. Can manually browse to select program as well.

• Added an input box to change the JPEG output quality.

• Added button to test the JPEG output quality.

• Added the ability to change the Auto Launch options

• Added button 'Reset Configuration' to change all of the settings back to their default.

Download Links:

post-69970-0-73298700-1342733234_thumb.jpost-69970-0-19200800-1342733241_thumb.jpost-69970-0-07154700-1343686076_thumb.j

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

A few ideas on future dev:

CURRENT RELEASE v1.1

Completed as of 07/27/12

• Build an installer COMPLETE
  • Instead of manipulating the INI, will create a small GUI to change the options. COMPLETE
  • Choosing the program to open/edit the screen capture will be done via an application manifest where you just select the application from a list instead of typing in a full path. COMPLETE
  • Option in tray to disable/enable the application so you don't have to close it. COMPLETE
  • Option to "Run on Startup". COMPLETE

v1.2

Planned as of 08/03/12

• Add option to turn on/off the opening the editor automatically on screen capture.

Be easy on me. My first public project :P

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to version 1.1. See OP for information and link to download application.

Spoiler

gah... pasted the wrong url for the download link. It's fixed now. Redirects to the AutoIt downloads area where the download is available.

Spoiler