_WinAPI_GetDC related

I'm not so sure about what exactly hdc is.

My question and code example might help to ask my question.

#include <WinAPI.au3>

$_GetPixel = _GetPixel(10, 10)

ConsoleWrite($_GetPixel &@LF)

Func _GetPixel($iX, $iY)
    $hDC = _WinAPI_GetDC(0)

$aGetPixel = DllCall("Gdi32.dll", "dword", "GetPixel", "handle", $hDC, "int", $iX, "int", $iY)
    If @error Then
        Exit MsgBox(0, "DllCall Error", @error)
    EndIf

$rtn = StringRight(Hex($aGetPixel[0]), 6)

Return $rtn
EndFunc   ;==>_GetPixel

Code returns pixel color at screen coords.

Should I make the call to _WinAPI_GetDC each time my function is called or is it safe to have it called once globally, given that screen content can obviously change?

I'm not after a debate on the pro's and con's of global variables, and could just as well be static. Just whether the device context remains the same throughout the life of the script

I have tested this but I want to be sure.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Afaik the DC stays the same as long as the hWnd stays the same, so as long as the desktop hwnd does not change, _WinAPI_GetDC(0) should stay the same and can be obtained one time globally. To free resources _WinAPI_ReleaseDC(0, $hDC) should also be called after usage, and btw., just saw in the MSDN doc comments that this will only get you the DC of the default monitor screen in a multi-monitor set-up, see said docs for a trick to get DC for whole screen in a multi-monitor set-up.

Thanks for the clarification KaFu.

Do you know what the relationship between desktop dc and desktop hwnd is?

For example If I try to perform a control* function on hwnd, it operates only on the desktop window.

If I perform GetPixel using the DC, I get the colour of anything visible on the whole screen regardless of what the window might be.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.