Copying files from thumb drive to other drive

Go to solution Solved by ZombieKillz,

Hello.  I am trying to create a script that will copy the files from a folder on a thumb drive (that the exe is on) to a drive (in this case it is always the H: Drive). Below is my script draft. I have a message box for directions, and I have a list of classes show up. Depending on the class, I want a different file copied, for this draft I was trying to make it easy and just copy everything in the directory (still only the 5 files) regardless of the class. When I tried it using the following, it wouldn't copy anything. I am somewhat new to Autoit, so any help would be appreciated. Also, a more general question about how it works, When I had it print a message box of the choice for the class, it started at 5 and not 0 or 1, is there a reason anyone can think of?

Thanks

~>RGByte

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.3.12.0
 Author:         myName

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here
#include <FileConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

MsgBox(0, "Statue Of Liberty", "Please select which class you are in and then press OK.")
Statue()
Func Statue()

Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Statue of Liberty", 400, 400)
Global $button = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK",20,175,150)
Global $idListview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Class  ||", 10, 10, 200, 150) ;,$LVS_SORTDESCENDING)
Global $idDesgeo1 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Descriptive Geo", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo2 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Physics", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo3 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th Grade Tables", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo4 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th Grade Computers", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo5 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Architecture", $idListview)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $button
            DirCopy( "G:\Testfolder", "H:\")

GUIDelete ("Statue of Liberty")

EndSwitch
WEnd

EndFunc

Is your USB drive always "G"?  and is there definitely an "H" on the target machine?  I would add some error checking like consolewrite(@scriptdir) to see what the directory is for the script on the USB.  Also, the default is to no overwrite existing files - not sure if that is a requirement - if so you need to set that flag. 

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

• Solution

rgbyte,

My guess as to why you were shown a 5 when printing your Class selection is perhaps you were printing $idListview which would show the controlid of the listview and not your selection (without seeing your message box code, of course).

I commented the code below and hope it makes sense.  You could either build your 'If' statements, to copy files for that particular Class selected, around the $indexselected (0-4 in this case) or around the $listtext or Class selected.  Those variables are random and could be changed to anything you'd like.

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

#include <GuiListView.au3> ; added for extended features when dealing with listview

MsgBox(0, "Statue Of Liberty", "Please select which class you are in and then press OK.")
Statue()
Func Statue()

Global $idListview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Class ", 10, 10, 200, 150) ;,$LVS_SORTDESCENDING)
Global $idDesgeo3 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th Grade Tables", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo4 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th Grade Computers", $idListview)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $button
            ; your original code - START
            ;DirCopy( "G:\Testfolder", "H:\")
            ;GUIDelete ("Statue of Liberty")
            ; your original code - END

; get the index from the selection made above
            $indexselected = _GUICtrlListView_GetSelectedIndices($idListview, False)
            ; now get the text associated with the selection using the indexselected variable
            ; note: have to change indexselected to a number in order for it to work correctly
            $listtext = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextString($idListview, Number($indexselected))
            MsgBox(0,"Text from selection made", $listtext)

EndSwitch
WEnd

EndFunc

Global $copysuccess = DirCopy(@ScriptDir & "\Test",@ScriptDir & "\Test2")

I tried using the above script to copy everything in my Test folder in the same directory as the script that runs and copy it to another folder in the same directory (for easy of debugging). The problem being that I have not been able to copy the 5 files in Test to Test2. The above line of code goes where the 

MsgBox(0,"Text from selection made", $listtext)

was in ZombieKillz's script. The probelm is that it won't copy anything!!! Is there a problem in the script at top? I have seen examples where people appendage the @scriptdir macro with a sub folder. The idea here is that I don't want the students to copy the compiled exe too. Thanks.

The two test folders are in the script's directory. (The path is AutoitfilesTest, or AutoitfilesTest2, and the script is in the Autoitfiles directory). The code is really similar. 

Whenever I try this it doesn't copy.

Thanks

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#include <GuiListView.au3> ; added for extended features when dealing with listview

Statue()
Func Statue()

Global $idListview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Class", 10, 10, 200, 150) ;,$LVS_SORTDESCENDING)
Global $idDesgeo3 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th Tables", $idListview)
Global $idDesgeo4 = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("10th 2D/3D", $idListview)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            ExitLoop
        Case $button

; get the index from the selection made above
            $indexselected = _GUICtrlListView_GetSelectedIndices($idListview, False)
            ; now get the text associated with the selection using the indexselected variable
            ; note: have to change indexselected to a number in order for it to work correctly
            $listtext = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextString($idListview, Number($indexselected))
           If $indexselected = 0 Then
               Global $copysuccess=DirCopy(@ScriptDir & "\Test",@ScriptDir & "\Test2")
               ExitLoop
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
WEnd

EndFunc

I think the issue may be the overwrite flag ... it works when I set that to "1".  I a, not sure why but I think because the folders are at the same directory level it is considered an overwrite?  You might consider file move instead to potentially avoid this.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt