Txt File Array to Listview with Write/Delete

goss34

Go to solution Solved by kylomas,

Morning Guys,

I have worked all night and during dead spots I have been looking at trying to read a text file e.g.

Test.txt

Server1

Server2

Server3

The text file should basically populate into a list view so you can see all the entries in the text file.

From the various example that seems pretty simple (although not for me).

What i want to achieve is:

Gui loads, It has an input box, fill in the input box, click an "add" button that writes the text of the input box into the file which then displays in the list view. I also want to have a button that will remove a line or multiple if clicked after being selected in the list view.

So 2 buttons, 1 input box, 1 listview - doesn't sound that hard but i cannot piece together all the different pieces of code into one that does that i want. I have been at it since around 1am and now i'm running on empty and my eyes are stinging.

It needs to be dynamic as i don't want to limit how many entries can be added to the file from the input box and want the listview to show them no matter how many are in the text file.

Can one of the magicians knock me something up? It doesn't have to be exact but I am getting nowhere fast and its driving me up the wall. Im starting to think this AutoIT is too much for my brain to handle  :

Cheers

Dan

P.s. Played with FileReadToArray("Test.txt"), _GUICtrlListView_AddArray, Even tried to swap to an INI but end up with the same problem where i cant fit all the pieces together.

Hi JohnOne, 

Iv had a go in so many ways iv not settled on any code cause i cant get either to do what i want - I haven't written from scratch, these are examples in help or taken from dated forum posts. Here's what iv still got saved.

Utilising ini and combobox - decided against combo as you cant multi delete so its not efficient. It does however remove an entry from the ini and sort of writes an entry to it just not in the correct format hence why i started looking to use a text file thinking it would be easier.

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

#include <Array.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $CurrentComment, $CommentList, $RemoveCommentGUI

_Test()

Func _Test()
$CurrentGui = "Comments"
$RemoveCommentGui = GUICreate("Comments", 600, 400)
GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "_Exit")
$CommentList = GUICtrlCreateCombo("", 208, 10, 160, 30)
$CurrentComment = IniReadSection("Ini File.ini", "SERVERS")
For $i = 1 To $CurrentComment[0][0]
    GUICtrlSetData(-1, $CurrentComment[$i][1])
Next
$DeleteButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove", 250, 40, 100, 30)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "_RemoveCommentFromList")
$CancelButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 250, 80, 100, 30)
GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF)
GUISetFont(12)

$Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Type Server Name", 8, 8, 185, 21)
$IniWrite = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add Server", 8, 65, 100, 20, 0)

GUISetState()
EndFunc

Func _RemoveCommentFromList()
    $CommentToRemove = GUICtrlRead($CommentList)
    $Find = _ArraySearch($CurrentComment, $CommentToRemove)
    $Delete = _ArrayDelete($CurrentComment, $Find)
    IniDelete("Ini File.ini", "SERVERS")
    For $i = 1 To $CurrentComment[0][0] - 1
        IniWrite("Ini File.ini", "SERVERS", $i, $CurrentComment[$i][1])
    Next
    ;IniWrite("Ini File.ini", "SERVERS", 1, "")
    GuiDelete($RemoveCommentGUI)
    _test()
EndFunc   ;==>_RemoveCommentFromList

Func _Exit()
    Exit
EndFunc

While 1
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

This is reading the data from the text file - great

Example()

Func Example()
    ; Read the current script file into an array using the filepath.
    Local $aArray = FileReadToArray("logon.txt")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "There was an error reading the file. @error: " & @error) ; An error occurred reading the current script file.
    Else
        For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1 ; Loop through the array.
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", $aArray[$i]) ; Display the contents of the array.
        Next
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

This is showing an array in a list view but i cant figure out how to get it to read from the txt file to populate the listview:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6
#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

;$Debug_LV = False ; Check ClassName being passed to ListView functions, set to True and use a handle to another control to see it work

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $iI, $hListView

; Create GUI
    GUICreate("ListView Add Array", 400, 300)
    $hListView = GUICtrlCreateListView("", 2, 2, 394, 268)
    GUISetState()

; Add columns
    _GUICtrlListView_AddColumn($hListView, "Program", 100)

; this block of code only generates the array
    Local $aItems[200][1]
    For $iI = 0 To UBound($aItems) - 1
        $aItems[$iI][0] = "Item " & $iI
    Next

_GUICtrlListView_AddArray($hListView, $aItems)

; Loop until user exits
    Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

I think the majority of what i am trying to do is in the first piece of code but i want to swap it from a combo to a list view and then fix the "add" button to write the value correctly. I dont need to use .ini - the txt file will essentially be a list, each item on a new line.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've had a quick fiddle with your first script, and shown an example of how to populate a listview whilst also writing to an ini file:

#include <Array.au3>

Global $CurrentComment, $CommentList, $RemoveCommentGUI
Global $ini = @Scriptdir & "\file.ini" ;PreDeclared as i don't know where your INI file is stored - Change this to your DIR if it's not in the same folder as the script.
_Test()

Func _Test()
   Local $CommentListItem[1]
   $CommentListItem[0] = 1 ;item value for the listview array
   ;Create The GUI
   $CurrentGui = "Comments"
   $RemoveCommentGui = GUICreate("Comments", 600, 400)
   $CommentList = GUICtrlCreatelistView("Server", 208, 10, 260, 130)
   $CurrentComment = IniReadSection($ini, "SERVERS") ;The filename for the ini file was incorrect.
   $Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Type Server Name", 8, 8, 185, 21)
   $IniWrite = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add Server", 8, 65, 100, 20, 0)
   $DeleteButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove", 50, 140, 100, 30)
   $CancelButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", 50, 180, 100, 30)
   GUISetBkColor(0xFFFFFF)
   GUISetFont(12)
   GUISetState()
   ;Populate the ListView

For $i = 1 To $CurrentComment[0][0]
      IncreaseArray($CommentListItem)
      $CommentListItem[$CommentListItem[0]] = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($CurrentComment[$i][1],$CommentList) ;Use this function to add items to a listview
      $CommentListItem[0]+= 1
   Next

;While loop to wait for input
while 1
   switch GUIgetMsg()
      Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE,$CancelButton
         Exit
      Case $DeleteButton
         GuiCtrlDelete(GUIctrlRead($CommentList))
      Case $IniWrite
         $NewServer = GUIctrlRead($Input) ; Read the InputBox
         GUIctrlSetData($Input,"") ; Reset the input
         IncreaseArray($CommentListItem) ; Increase the Array size to add the new item
         IniWrite($ini,"SERVERS",$NewServer,$NewServer) ;I've had to put the same value for parameter and value, as you only have one input box (look at how INI's work, each value needs a parameter, and a value)
         $CommentListItem[$CommentListItem[0]] = GUIctrlCreateListViewItem($NewServer,$CommentList) ; Add the new item
         $CommentListItem[0] += 1 ; Increase the item count
   EndSwitch
WEnd
EndFunc

Func IncreaseArray(ByRef $Array)
   local $Temp_Array = $Array
   ReDim $Array[Ubound($Temp_Array)+1]
   for $i = 0 to uBound($Temp_Array) - 1
      $Array[$i] = $Temp_Array[$i]
   Next
   return 0
EndFunc

In my hastiness, I didn't realise that this was not actually the script with the ListView in, so i do apologise for that, (I've swapped out the combo for the ListView... I would go back, and attempt an example on the script that does contain the listview, But i'm at work at the moment, So my time's limited.

I've added comments to try and help you understand what's going on, Hopefully this will get you on the right tracks  o:) 

- Javi

give a man an application, and he'll be frustrated for the day, Teach him how to program applications and he'll be frustrated for a lifetime.

Hi Javi,

Thanks for trying to help me, its really going over my head at the minute. I'm struggling to understand the Array code even after reading the Wiki article 3 times - not sure if its fatigue or just not going in.

Iv tried to strip everything out below to start from scratch so hopefully i can pick it up as its rebuilt. I have set this to create the file i with some data so it doesn't matter who runs it everyone will see the same result at their end. After the file is ready, the lines are read output by msgbox, this is working for me.

#include <File.au3>

$sFilePath = (@TempDir & "\test.txt") ; Set Path Directory
If Not FileExists($sFilePath) Then
                        _FileCreate ($sFilePath) ; if file does not exist create file
                        MsgBox(0, "Created", "Yes") ; confirmation file was created
                        $file = FileOpen($sFilePath, 1) ; open file for editing

If $file = -1 Then
                            MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
                        Else
                              FileWrite($file, "Server1" & @CRLF) ; write 1 line to file
                              FileWrite($file, "Server2" & @CRLF) ; write additional line to file
                              FileWrite($file, "Server3" & @CRLF) ; write additional line to file
                              FileClose($file) ; close open file
                        EndIf
Else
EndIf

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $aArray = FileReadToArray($sFilePath)
    If @error Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "There was an error reading the file. @error: " & @error) ; An error occurred reading the current script file.
    Else
        For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1 ; Loop through the array.
            MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", $aArray[$i]) ; Display the contents of the array.
        Next
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Can you now set it so the array is read into the listview so i can follow just those changes? (not worried about buttons or functions at the minute i just want to try to understand how to get the array into the view).

Thank you,

Dan

Dan,

Building on your code with comments...

;#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <File.au3>

_FileCreate($sFilePath) ; if file does not exist create file

If $file = -1 Then
    Else
    EndIf
Else
EndIf

Example()

Func Example()
    If @error Then

; commented out the msgbox code
    ;~  Else
    ;~      For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1 ; Loop through the array.
    ;~          MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", $aArray[$i]) ; Display the contents of the array.
    ;~      Next
    EndIf

; start gui code
    local $gui = guicreate('Listview From File Array',220,200)
    local $lv  = GUICtrlCreateListView('Servers',20,20,61,120)
    local $btn  = GUICtrlCreatebutton('Get Server',10,160,80,20)

; this routine reads the array created above and populates the listview
    for $1 = 0 to UBound($aArray) - 1
        GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($aArray[$1],$lv)
    next

guisetstate()

while 1
        switch guigetmsg()
            case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                guidelete($gui)
                Exit
            case $btn
                msgbox( 0,'Selection','You selected Server = ' & stringtrimright( _         ; strip '|' from end of string
                                                                    guictrlread( _          ; get control id of selected item
                                                                    guictrlread($lv)), _    ; get listview item text using the control id
                                                                    1) )                    ; strip 1 char (parm of stringtrimright function
                ;
                ; you will generally see this written as "guictrlread(guictrlread($lv))".  I broke it apart so I could comment it.
                ;
                ConsoleWrite(guictrlread(guictrlread($lv)) & @CRLF)                         ; this is how I would normally write this
        EndSwitch
    wend

EndFunc   ;==>Example

Please ask if anything is not clear.

This is probably the simplest use of listview.  If you want to get into clicking on listview items or using context menus (right click and get options) just ask.

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Thank you Kylomas,

I made a couple of slight amendments (size of window and listview items) and added in a console write. I have a couple of questions to follow the full code with the few amendments i made:

#include <File.au3>

If $file = -1 Then
    Else
    EndIf
Else
EndIf

Example()

Func Example()
    If @error Then

;~  Else
    ;~      For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1 ; Loop through the array.
    ;~          MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", $aArray[$i]) ; Display the contents of the array.
    ;~      Next
    EndIf

; start gui code
    local $gui = guicreate('Listview From File Array',320,320)
    local $lv  = GUICtrlCreateListView('Servers',20,20,66,150)
    local $btn  = GUICtrlCreatebutton('Get Server',10,200,80,20)

ConsoleWrite($aArray[$1] & @CRLF) ; added just so i can see the data received into the array
    next

guisetstate()

while 1
        switch guigetmsg()
            case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                guidelete($gui)
                Exit
            case $btn
                msgbox( 0,'Selection','You selected Server = ' & stringtrimright( _         ; strip '|' from end of string
                                                                    guictrlread( _          ; get control id of selected item
                                                                    guictrlread($lv)), _    ; get listview item text using the control id
                                                                    1) )                    ; strip 1 char (parm of stringtrimright function
                ;
                ; you will generally see this written as "guictrlread(guictrlread($lv))".  I broke it apart so I could comment it.
                ;
                ConsoleWrite(guictrlread(guictrlread($lv)) & @CRLF)                         ; this is how I would normally write this
        EndSwitch
    wend

EndFunc   ;==>Example

So here i just added the console write:

ConsoleWrite($aArray[$1] & @CRLF) ; added just so i can see the data received into the array
    next

Can you tell me where i can see some info on how this "GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($aArray[$1],$lv)" will know to populate multiple list view items and not just add it as one long string? The output of the console write below it shows Server1Server2Server3.

Ok and question 2 is about this section:

;
                ;

The console write shows the | character and i can see how you removed it from the message box but why has it appeared in the first place as it was not included in the array text. Is this just the column separator produced as part of being in the list view item?

Thanks again, sorry for the slow progress but id rather try and understand all the code before attempting to expand on it and this is helping.

Dan

Hi Dan,

No need to apologize, we all learn at our own pace.

Regarding the '|' character, I have no idea.  Frankly I was suprised to see it.  Maybe one of the other members knows.

The listview is populated by running GUICtrlCreateListViewItem for each member of the array in a loop.  Each time it is executed an entery is added to the listview control.

$aArray[0] = Server1

$aArray[1] = Server2

$aArray[2] = Server3

The loop starts with $1 = to 0.

An item is added to the listview from $aArray[0]

The Next statement increments $1 and goes back to the loop test statement (For...Next)

Your output from the consolewrite should not be "Server1Server2Server3'.  It should be

Server1

Server2

Server3

I hope this helps, if not just ask. 

kylomas

edit:spelling

Edited by kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Great, ok as for the "|" will just wait and see if anyone else can explain that.

The consolewrite is displaying as you said since i added the @CRLF but prior it was in a long string which i presume is just how the consolewrite displays and would explain why generally i see @CRLF in most examples on the forum.

So I have now added 2 more buttons and an input box to update the file from the gui:

#include <File.au3>

If $file = -1 Then
    Else
        FileWrite($file, "Server1.domain.local" & @CRLF) ; write 1 line to file
        FileWrite($file, "Server2.domain.local" & @CRLF) ; write additional line to file
        FileWrite($file, "Server3.domain.local" & @CRLF) ; write additional line to file
    EndIf
Else
EndIf

Example()

Func Example()
    If @error Then

;~  Else
    ;~          MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", $aArray[$i]) ; Display the contents of the array.
    ;~      Next
    EndIf

; start gui code
    local $gui = guicreate('Listview From File Array',320,320)
    local $lv  = GUICtrlCreateListView('Monitored Servers',10,50,160,150)
    local $getserverbtn  = GUICtrlCreatebutton('Get Server',180,50,80,20)
    local $addbtn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add", 180, 20, 80, 20)
    local $removebtn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove", 180, 80, 80, 20)
    local $Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Type Server Name To Add...", 10,20,160,20)

next

guisetstate()

while 1
        switch guigetmsg()
            case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                guidelete($gui)
                Exit
            case $addbtn
                FileWrite($file, GUICtrlRead($Input) & @CRLF) ; write entry from input box into file
            case $removebtn
                MsgBox(0,"Remove", "Remove button pushed", 0)
                    Global $success = False
                    $file_name = $sFilePath
;                   $line_text_input = InputBox("Line's text", "Line must contain following text:", "line contains this text")
                    $line_text_input = (StringTrimRight( _
                                            guictrlread($lv)), _
                                            1) )                    ; get listview item text using the control id
                    $file_count_lines = _FileCountLines($file_name)
                    for $i = 0 to $file_count_lines
                        $Lines_text_output = FileReadLine($file_name, $i)
                        if StringInStr($Lines_text_output, $line_text_input) then
                            _FileWriteToLine($file_name, $i, "", 1)
                            $success = True
                            ExitLoop
                        EndIf
                    Next
                    if $success = True Then
                        MsgBox(0, "Success", "Line has been deleted")
                    Else
                        MsgBox(0, "Failure", "Line wasn't found")
                    EndIf

case $getserverbtn
                ;
                ;
        EndSwitch
    wend

EndFunc   ;==>Example

The add button should now work and update the text file with whatever data was added to the input box - it does for me anyway.

What i don't know how to do is to get the listview to update after clicking the add button?

I have found some code to help me remove a matching line from the file when pushing the remove button which i think works fine however it may not be the most efficient way? Again the same issue with how do i get the listview to update after clicking the remove button?

Thank you,

Dan

Great, ok as for the "|" will just wait and see if anyone else can explain that.

The pipe key is used as the delimiter for ListViews, and is also applied to the last column item. (so if you inserted " col1 | col2 | col3 " a third pipe would be added to the end automatically) As you're only using the one column in your listview though, You will only see the one added at the end.

Listviews are great for supplying additional information on an item; and to do this you would format it as such:

#include<GUIconstants.au3>
local $gui = GUIcreate("GUI",300,300)
local $ListView = GUIctrlCreateListView("Col1|Col2|Col3",5,5,290,290)
GUIctrlCreateListViewItem("Row1 Col1|Row1 Col2|Row1 Col3",$ListView)
GUIctrlCreateListViewItem("Row2 Col1|Row2 Col2|Row2 Col3",$ListView)
GUIctrlCreateListViewItem("Row3 Col1|Row3 Col2|Row3 Col3",$ListView)
GUISetState(@sw_show)

do
until GUIgetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

Hopefully that helps to explain why you're seeing the pipe key when you read the Listview. ^_^ 

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that if a ListViewItem has more columns than the listview, it will not be inserted, But if it has less columns, it will still insert (and the remaining columns will simply be blank)

Many Thanks

Javi

Edited by javiwhite

give a man an application, and he'll be frustrated for the day, Teach him how to program applications and he'll be frustrated for a lifetime.

Thank you Javi, that's what i thought would be the answer so good to see the confirmation.

I think the only thing left now is how to get the listview to update after either the add or remove button click, for that i have no clue at the moment but am sure someone will know...  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Dan

• Solution

Dan,

What i don't know how to do is to get the listview to update after clicking the add button?

The same way we updated it before only now you'll get the listview data from the input control instead of the array, e.g.

GUICtrlCreateListViewItem(guictrlread($input_control),$lv)

To delete an item see _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem.  Hint, you get the item index using another _GUICtrlListView_* function.

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

Cheers Kylomas, i think its complete as below:

#include <File.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>

If $file = -1 Then
    Else
        FileWrite($file, "Server1.domain.local" & @CRLF) ; write 1 line to file
        FileWrite($file, "Server2.domain.local" & @CRLF) ; write additional line to file
        FileWrite($file, "Server3.domain.local") ; write additional line to file
    EndIf
Else
EndIf

Global $sort = False

Example()

Func Example()
    If @error Then

;~  Else
    ;~      Next
    EndIf

; start gui code
    local $gui = guicreate('Initial Configuration',270,200)
    local $lv  = GUICtrlCreateListView('Monitored Servers',10,40,160,150) ;,$LVS_REPORT)
    ;local $getserverbtn  = GUICtrlCreatebutton('Get Server',180,50,80,20)
    local $addbtn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Add", 180, 10, 80, 20)
    local $removebtn = GUICtrlCreateButton("Remove", 180, 40, 80, 20)
    local $Input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Type server name to add...", 10,10,160,20)

_GUICtrlListView_SimpleSort($LV, $Sort, 0, False)

next

guisetstate()

while 1
        switch guigetmsg()
            case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                guidelete($gui)
                Exit
            case $addbtn
                FileWrite($file, @CRLF)
                FileWrite($file, GUICtrlRead($Input)) ; write entry from input box into file
                GUICtrlCreateListViewItem(guictrlread($input),$lv)
            case $removebtn
                ;MsgBox(0,"Remove", "Remove button pushed", 0)
                    Global $success = False
                    $file_name = $sFilePath
;                   $line_text_input = InputBox("Line's text", "Line must contain following text:", "line contains this text")
                                            guictrlread($lv)), _
                            $success = True
                            ExitLoop
                        EndIf
                    _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected($lv)
                    Next
                    if $success = True Then
                        MsgBox(0, "Success", "Server has been deleted")
                    Else
                        MsgBox(0, "Failure", "Server wasn't found - Case Sensitive")
                    EndIf

;case $getserverbtn
            ;    msgbox( 0,'Selection','You selected Server = ' & stringtrimright( _         ; strip '|' from end of string
            ;                                                        guictrlread( _          ; get control id of selected item
            ;                                                        guictrlread($lv)), _    ; get listview item text using the control id
            ;                                                        1) )                    ; strip 1 char (parm of stringtrimright function
                ;
                ;
            ;    ConsoleWrite(guictrlread(guictrlread($lv)) & @CRLF)                         ; this is how I would normally write this
        EndSwitch
    wend

EndFunc   ;==>Example

The sections amended:

case $addbtn
                FileWrite($file, @CRLF)
                FileWrite($file, GUICtrlRead($Input)) ; write entry from input box into file
                GUICtrlCreateListViewItem(guictrlread($input),$lv)

&

case $removebtn
                ;MsgBox(0,"Remove", "Remove button pushed", 0)
                    Global $success = False
                    $file_name = $sFilePath
                                            guictrlread($lv)), _
                            $success = True
                            ExitLoop
                        EndIf
                    _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItemsSelected($lv)
                    Next
                    if $success = True Then
                        MsgBox(0, "Success", "Server has been deleted")
                    Else
                        MsgBox(0, "Failure", "Server wasn't found - Case Sensitive")
                    EndIf

Notice the additional simple sort which would of been my next question but came across it while looking at the delete items from list view area.

Are you happy that the code is correct? Spot any improvements?

Hopefully that's all my questions, for now anyway ;-)

I cant thank you both enough for your help and patience, its very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan