If Variable And Variable2 Etc Etc

Go to solution Solved by tweakster2010,

How long can you write an If then Statement where you include a large number of Ands?

Reason I ask is I have a GUI that has a treeview which basically if you dont click onto the 3rd tier I want it to post an error but if you click into the third tier I want it to read tier 1 2 and 3 and be able to insert them into text(my main issue i am trying to do which technically isnt an issue just super long the way I figured to do it is getting the subtrees out of the choices but I can see I am able to read it.

1. First
    1. A
      1. Alpha
      2. Bravo
      3. Charlie
    2. B
    3. C
  2. Second
  3. Third

Basically I want that I chose Alph in A of First to be read First A Alpha and not just Alpha.

I am struggling to break that part down and just convert to 3 combo boxes with the choices clearing etc based on previously choice >.>

What I had so far is reading it as numbers and not the actual text but the example reads it as text but not the full path information the way I want it to. So the Idea is I need to conver the example to read the full path but I am unsure how to do that.

If GuiCtrlRead($First) AND GuiCtrlRead($Alpha)) = False Then
   MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "Error didn't drill deep enough! Variable" & GUICtrlRead($First))
EndIf
If GuiCtrlRead($Alpha) Then
   MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "Worked" & GuiCtrlRead($ALpha))
EndIf

I know this isnt what I want and $alpha is spawned from submenu of $first and then $A.

I also know i can throw this in and get to where I see what is being in there but I dont know how to view it all and not just the last choice.

$idItem = GUICtrlRead($idTreeview) ; Get the controlID of the current selected treeview item
                If $idItem = 0 Then
                    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "TreeView Demo", "No item currently selected")
                Else
                    $sText = GUICtrlRead($idItem, 1) ; Get the text of the treeview item
                    If $sText == "" Then
                        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "Error while retrieving infos about item")
                    Else
                        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "TreeView Demo", "Current item selected is: " & $sText)
                    EndIf
                EndIf

Any extra insight or help a guy who is struggling to understand the treeview portion out is EXTREMELY appreciated. I already labeled my full treeview and rather not have to break it down to combos but I know I can do the Combos (got most of the form as combos already LOL)

I am sorry JohnOne but I dont understand the remark. Is it in reference to the help file? Which is where I based most of what I cropped but I can see me missing another section (tends to happen and I go over it a few times trying to figure out the right way) or a shameless bump to find an answer to? Or was what I typed a little too confusing, which this morning looking over again may be the case as I am noticing a jump around >.>

I do believe my struggle is the treeview has to be converted to text which i gathered from the helpful but the main thing I am wondering is how to get it to read the full tier of a 3 tier tree 1->2->3 vs just1 or 2 or 3. Helpful directs to 1 or 2 or 3 from it. I just am failing hard on converting it to reading 1->2->3.

Thanks again for any help. :)

This was my final attempt before I came to the forums at which I tried GuiGetMsg as well since that was located in the helpfile.

If GuiCtrlRead($First) AND GuiCtrlRead($Alpha)) = False Then
   MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "Error didn't drill deep enough! Variable" & GUICtrlRead($First))
EndIf
If GuiCtrlRead($Alpha) Then
   MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Error", "Worked" & GuiCtrlRead($ALpha))
EndIf

This gives me just the info provided on the selection, i just do not know how to get it to pull the upper tier from the selection  :(.

Local $idItem
            $idItem = GUICtrlRead($idTreeview)
                    If $sText == "" Then
                    Else
                    EndIf

I guess its safe to say im very bad at understanding the treeview portion :/

Thanks again for any help. :)

Edit to correct layout to be a little less confusing.

Edited by tweakster2010

$hGUI = GUICreate("UI", 350,575)

Local $idTreeview = GUICtrlCreateTreeView(75, 5, 200, 150)
Local $Main = GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem("Main", $idTreeview)
   Local $alpha = GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem("Alpha", $Main)
      Local $One = GuiCtrlCreateTreeViewItem("One", $Alpha)

$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button1", 100, 525)

Case $Button1

Local $idItem
If $sText == "" Then
Else
EndIf

This is basically the portion of what I am focused on. Hope this helps identify what my goal is, but basically if I can get it to read the tiers then it moves to variable limit question about reading all my tree options (currently 20+ options).

Thanks, Hope i was posting the portiong you were referring to since posted 2 questions in the end relating to this. >.> Sorry if its confusing at all. I am in a meeting while doing this >.>

For some reason the code broke out and i editted it to get it back in the code boxes as a new code box >.>

Edited by tweakster2010

your remark finally dawned me in the right direction, i was only looking at the create and zoned out about the guictrltreeview_ other examples. I will post my results later when I have time to devote to it, but right now i got another project I gotta work on. Thank you john, you responding helped me revisit the helpfile and stop having an airhead moment. :)

To be honest, I'm getting the deja-vu here.

Melba23 answered this question I'm certain of it.

Perhaps it was lost in the forum glitch the other day.

The answer was _GUICtrlTreeView_??? some function or other which returns the full treeview path.

Sorry cannot remember which one, never used that control.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

That may be what happened, during the weekend i dont really frequent the forums and if it was posted and lost that may explain it. But none the less I was being an airhead, been good about searching the helpfile and forums most of the time just this time I got so far ahead of myself on 1 thought i missed the fact the functions are there. :(

• Solution

I wanted to give up an updated label for anyone else to have incase they end up doing the same thing I did and would like a simple solution.

The Button i have it tied to checks when tree item is selected and then labels them into the array 1/2/3. For me my next step is writing array1 into a category, 2 into a subcategory, and 3 into a class. (ticketing system) :)

Local $idItem
                    If $sText == "" Then
                    Else
                        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "TreeView Demo", "Current item selected is: " & $sText & "   " & _GUICtrlTreeView_GetTree($idTreeview))
                    EndIf
    Local $aArray = StringSplit(_GUICtrlTreeView_GetTree($idTreeview), '|', $STR_ENTIRESPLIT) ; Pass the variable to StringSplit and using the delimiter "|".
        MsgBox(0, "testing", $aArray[1] & "  "  & $aArray[2] & "   " & $aArray[3])

Hope others might find this useful :)

EDIT: Just wanted to add this also reduces me needing to add a lot of If variable and variable that continues on and on. I was going about it completely wrong at first and made it way more complicated than it needed to be :)

Edited by tweakster2010