If Gui Label doesn't exist Gui goes into infinite loop

Good Afternoon All :dance:

Let me start by saying... I'm not sure if this belongs in the GUI part of the forum as it's more of a loop / code / dynamic GUI layout issue. I understand if you move it though.

I have been doing some crazy things in AutoIT lately and one of them just so happens to be an accidental infinite loop. :naughty:

I am dynamically populating my GUI labels... so that means if I have a users ip address I create

$L_PP1_WhoISSearch

However, if I assign a function to a non existent label... for instance a user has no ip address or it is invalid, I get an infinite loop / crash.

The While loop below just goes crazy running ShellExecute.  Since the label $L_PP1_WhoISSearch doesn't exist, the function WhoISSearch() just runs ShellExecute to infinity... What should I do differently??? Is there a trigger I can set in the Gui to ignore missing cases??? Sorry, I can only provide "snippets" of my code since it's for work. Thanks you all!!!

; This is my loop of doom if the $L_PP1_WhoISSearch doesn't exist in my gui.
While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $L_PP1_DashboardLink
            DashboardLink01()
        Case $L_PP1_WhoISSearch
            WhoISSearch()
        Case $B_PP1_BACK02
            GUIDelete()
            Gui01_PP_INC()
        Case $B_PP1_EXIT02
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func WhoISSearch()

ShellExecute('http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=' & $PP1_SourceIPClick01 & '?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&showNonArinTopLevelNet=false')

;MsgBox (0, "", 'WTF')

EndFunc
; This is my dynamic label for my Gui.
        ElseIf $i = 5 Then

$L_PP1_SourceIP = GUICtrlCreateLabel($LabelVariable & ' ' & $aArray_Variable_PP_Gui01[$i], 10, $L_PP1_Var_StartHeight, 316, 19)
        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, 0, "Calibri")
        $L_PP1_Var_StartHeight += 22

$L_PP1_WhoISSearch = GUICtrlCreateLabel('WhoIS Search: ' & $PP1_SourceIPClick01, 10, $L_PP1_Var_StartHeight, 316, 19)
        GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, 0, "Calibri")
        GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0x0000FF)
        $L_PP1_Var_StartHeight += 22

"Maybe I'm on a road that ain't been paved yet. And maybe I see a sign that ain't been made yet"
Song Title: I guess you could say
Artist: Middle Class Rut

Assign a value to the variable $L_PP1_WhoISSearch, 9999 should be sufficient for the initial value. Then the Switch won't action on it.

Are you actually using the label as a button?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Yes, I'm using the label as a button... you're right. I just like the look of it. What does the 9999 do - sorry could you explain a wee bit more :idiot: I don't understand...

UPDATE: Nevermind and Thank you BrewManNH !!!

More from za googlez!

; Predeclare the variables with dummy values to prevent firing the Case statements

I SPENT FOREVER ON THIS... SO THANK YOU AGAIN :sorcerer:

Edited by souldjer777

"Maybe I'm on a road that ain't been paved yet. And maybe I see a sign that ain't been made yet"
Song Title: I guess you could say
Artist: Middle Class Rut

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Iraj
      Hello Team, Greetings!
      Is there any way to run any 3rd party application silently in background without the GUI getting in the front ?
      I was implementing angry-ip scanner with autoit & wanted the angry-ip application to run in background quietly as I am copying its output to other file on completion. is there any way to achieve my query?
      Below is code I tried: 
      $range = "192.168.0.1 192.168.0.255" ShellExecuteWait("C:\Windows\DDM\ipscan.exe","-f:range "&$iprange&" -q -o C:\temp\ScanResults.csv","","open",@SW_HIDE) Thanks!
    • By Doniel
      Hi there! 😃
      I've 2 simple scripts:
      Script 1 starts script 2 Script 1 gets executed with normal user rights (un-elevated) Script 2 contains an #RequireAdmin and therefor can only start elevated I want to read the output of script 2 with script 1 AND have the UAC of script 2 being activated as fullscreen Script 1 (Scripts location is the same as script 2 that I'm running with Run()
      Local $iPID, $sOutput $iPID = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & "C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE, 0x2) ProcessWaitClose($iPID) $sOutput = StdoutRead($iPID) StdioClose($iPID) ConsoleWrite($sOutput) MsgBox(1, 1, 1) Script 2 (compiled as Temp.exe)
      #RequireAdmin ConsoleWrite("Return") MsgBox(1,1,"ADMIN") Now my problems are the following:
      Without the #RequireAdmin I can read the output with no problem, but not with the #RequireAdmin ($sOutput is empty) Using @SW_HIDE in the Run() command makes the UAC always start minimized (see attached picture) and the admin has to always manually click on the icon to enter his credentials since the UAC doesn't start in fullscreen. Here and on a few other sites they explain that the program launching the elevated program NEEDS to be activated in order to directly show the UAC fullscreen and not minimized. Using @SW_SHOW would get rid of the problem, BUT that leaves me with an ugly cmd.exe floating the whole time while the elevated script ist running. And my questions to that I'm seeking an answer for are:
      Problem 1: Is it just not possible to read from an elevated program with an un-elevated user/script? I also get the Access Denied if I press No on the UAC as an Output in $sOutput (Guess since its's still un-elevated) Problem 2: Is there a way to either make the floating black and blank cmd.exe being moved to the background and be non visible to the user OR to somehow bring the minimized UAC to the foreground/fullscreen? What I already tried and what didn't help me:
      $iPID = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & "C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", @ScriptDir, @SW_HIDE, 0x2) While Not WinExists("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung") ConsoleWrite(1) WEnd WinActivate("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung") WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_SHOW) WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_MAXIMIZE) WinSetState("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung", WinGetText("Temp.exe erfordert Ihre Berechtigung"), @SW_ENABLE) The While-Loops helps a lot and also stops after a second or so (► Stops to write ones (1)). That means that the actual "window" of the UAC is found, but all the WinXXX functions don't do anything and the UAC stays minimized. I also tried to minimized/move the cmd.exe to the background with WinActivate() and WinSetState() with no success.
      $iPID = ShellExecute("C:\Entwicklung\Autoit\Test\Temp.exe", "", @ScriptDir, "open", @SW_HIDE) Using ShellExecute() instead of Run() completely solves the UAC to fullscreen problem BUT I haven't found a consistent way to read the output of ShellExecute(). Neither here on the forum nor somewhere else. If I'd be possible to read the output from ShellExecute() then all my problems would be solved at once!
      Also tried a few more things and playing with some parameters but everything with no success.
      I'd really love some help and support here from you.
      Thanks in advance!

• By abberration
      Software Installer
      Version: 2.0
      It's been been a long year, but I finally got some time to rework this project. I re-wrote everything from scratch because the old version was getting too complicated with so many options and sub-menus. This new version is much easier to use and I have been testing for a few days and it seems very stable.
      For those who are new to this software, it helps you install software silently/unattended. This new version tries to determine the silent switch automatically. You can also re-organize the order in which the software installs by dragging & dropping them in the listview. It now supports creating profiles and checks for missing software (and automatically unchecks them, so it does not attempt to install non-existent software). One feature I included was because I have seen several people on Youtube talk about disliking bright screens at night. So, now you can choose from a few color theme (half of them are dark). I dabbled a bit more into GDI+ to draw a few things and show my logo with a transparent background (hint: I'm not good at GDI+).
      Under the Help menu, you will find a User Guide, which goes through most of it's features. I included a new icon if you want to use when you compile the script (in the Assets > Misc folder).
      If you have questions, comments or suggestions, all are welcome. Hope you enjoy!
      Here it is in action:

Software_Installer_2.0.zip
    • By Jemboy
      Recently I was working on a script with icons using GuiCtrkCreatIcon.
      I decided to change the sub folder name of the icons to a more meaning name, however made a typo.

I tested the .exe on my test computer and it worked flawlessly (because both icon folder where on my test computer) 😁
      But after I installed the script on the intended computers , I got chaos!😵
      Zooming into the problem, I discovered, that because the icons could not be found, the ControlID were returned with a value of 0
      and thus played havoc within the GuiGetMsg() switch/case statement.
      I have been able to reproduce this  (see example)
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> ;============================================================================================================ ; PLEASE, do not save this example in the example folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Examples\Helpfile ;============================================================================================================ Example() Func Example() GUICreate(" My GUI Icons", 250, 250) $Icon1 = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", 10, 20, 20) $Icon2 = GUICtrlCreateIcon(@ScriptDir & '\Extras\horse.ani', -1, 20, 40, 32, 32) $Icon3 = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", 7, 20, 75, 32, 32) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;$Icon2 = -1 ; ==> When this line is uncommented the script "works", so -1 could be a potential fix. ; Loop until the user exits. While 1 Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ExitLoop Case $Icon2 Beep (500,500) EndSwitch WEnd GUIDelete() EndFunc ;==>Example If you save the above script outside the Autoit example folder and run it, it will keep beeping because GuiCtrlCreatIcon did not find horse.ani and return $Icon2=0.
      At the moment GUICtrlCreateIcon () only returns the conntrolID on success and 0 on failure.
      I would like to propose a return of -1 on failure, so a existing and working script won't go awry when the icon can not be found.

• By chenni037
      I need to save the execution result as a text file. Is there any solution?
      ShellExecute ( "filename" [, "parameters" [, "workingdir" [, "verb" [, showflag]]]] )    if  parameters have " > " can't Execute correctly, 
      Example 1:
      ShellExecute("diskspd.exe", "-b128K  -c64M f:\estfile.dat > test123.txt", "", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)  ;Error
      ShellExecute("diskspd.exe", "-b128K  -c64M f:\estfile.dat", "", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)                         ;OK
      Example 2:
      ShellExecute("help", "dir > helpdir.txt", "", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)  ;Error
      ShellExecute("help", "dir", "", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)                         ;OK
      T1.au3