Sign in to follow this  
ozmike

Windows 10 - Project (C)entennial apps will it work for auto IT?

Hey could be interesting to the AutoIt devs out there 

Will win32  apps (autoit apps)  work in the new windows 10 store? 

Early days yet won't be in the initial win 10 release...

Note  win32 apps are now called many things

- desktop apps

- CWA ( Classic Windows Apps - not country womens ..assoc. ) 

- Project C(entenial) apps 

These apps will not be sandboxed but NOT be allowed to run as admin , all files will be sandboxed installation handled through the store..

blog link

How does this affect autoit - ?

FYI

following as not supported in Project C apps:

• “Windows NT Services”,
  • “Things running in the kernel” (device drivers)
  • “System Level Software” (anything not running in the user context)
  • “Elevation”, meaning anything that causes a standard user to get a UAC prompt “will be blocked”.

Using parts of other apps in your app, at least in version 1. John indicated that they would like to support extensibility and plug-ins, just probably not initially. The implication was that this might be a direct UWA thing and not specific to Project C, but we can’t be sure.

following as supported in Project C apps:

• “COM”
  • “WMI”
  • “Networking”
  • “Anything else a standard app does that isn’t in the system space”.

I am guessing that there are a lot of other things that might end up in the ‘not supported’ list that you might have thought falls under the last item in the supported list but turns out is not supported, but we just don’t know yet:

• WMI Providers
  • Windows Timed and Triggered Events (but they can write new UWA background triggers)
  • Custom ETW Providers
  • COM localsystem (out of process) running as the system to avoid UAC prompts
  • Maybe DCOM
  • Software Clients,
  • Application Capabilities
  • Shell Extensions, Browser Helper Objects, and the like

FYI

Provided the programs created with AutoIt fall within the set outlined bounds then I can see no reason why they would not.

But it sounds to me like, once again microsoft are trying to push their vision on everyone else.

EDIT: after reading the blog link you posted, I take that back, first it says it converts applications, then later it says it is targeted at developers who have access to source code, so if it converts apps, why do you need access to source code? 

Probably because there will be some sort of SDK for visual studio or something which you have to use, ot this converter scans the code in some fashion and indicates changes that need to be made, so it's actually doubtful, although it did hint that simple apps could be converted without access to source code, but those apps would not make it to the windows store.

So I suppose it's up in the air.

Edited by JohnOne

My guess - You will need the source code - because you will have to make changes to get it to work in the windows store!

most win 32 app will work on windows 10 - but to submit apps (exes?) to windows 10 store will need a recompile?.

Any exes out there already - can't submit to the store as is probably .. whether an auto it script needs to be compiled inside Visual Studio or  an exe can be submitted we will  have to wait an see.

I bet microsoft don't know yet .. early days..

MS plan to allow android and iphone apps in window 10 ..so its early days.!