Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mecano

Regex for password validation

7 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hallo members,

Looking for the right regex for password validation, the password must be eight characters long including at least 1 number and includes both lower and uppercase letters and at least 1 special character.

€ , £ and letters with umlauts, accents, etc. are not allowed.

I have made a test gui with two different validations, this is just for testing purposes, but is this right way to do it?

'((?=.*\d)(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*\W).{8,8})'

and

'([A-Za-z: ]+\$([A-Z0-9]+)([\s]*[A-Za-z: ]+\$([A-Z0-9]+)){0,2})'

The test GUI

#NoTrayIcon
#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.3.12.0
    Author:         myName

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)

Local $GUI, $Password, $Button1, $Button2
$GUI = GUICreate("Form1", 412, 261, 192, 124)
$Password = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 96, 32, 193, 21, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_INPUT, $ES_PASSWORD))
GUICtrlSendMsg(-1, $EM_SETCUEBANNER, False, "8 characters")
GUICtrlSetLimit(-1, 8, 8)
$Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Export", 97, 77, 193, 25)
$Button2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Import", 97, 123, 193, 25)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Local $StringPassw = GUICtrlRead($Password)
    Local $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1 ; Export
            If $StringPassw = "" Then
                MsgBox(16, "Error!", "Password can not be empty")
                GUICtrlSetState($Password, $GUI_FOCUS)
                ;  regex for testing, the password must be eight characters including one uppercase letter, one special character and alphanumeric characters.
            ElseIf StringRegExp($StringPassw, '((?=.*\d)(?=.*[A-Z])(?=.*\W).{8,8})') Then
                MsgBox(0, "Strong", "Password is 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 special character, alphanumeric characters") ; Debug
                ; Export()
                GUICtrlSetState($Button1, $GUI_DISABLE)
            Else
                MsgBox(64, "Password is not strong!", "Re-type password, Password must be 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 special character, alphanumeric characters")
                GUICtrlSetData($Password, "")
            EndIf
        Case $Button2 ; Import
            If $StringPassw = "" Then
                MsgBox(16, "Error!", "Password can not be empty")
                ;  another regex for testing
                GUICtrlSetState($Password, $GUI_FOCUS)
            ElseIf StringRegExp($StringPassw, '([A-Za-z: ]+\$([A-Z0-9]+)([\s]*[A-Za-z: ]+\$([A-Z0-9]+)){0,2})') Then
                MsgBox(0, "Strong", "Password is 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 special character, alphanumeric characters") ; Debug
                ; Import()
                GUICtrlSetState($Button2, $GUI_DISABLE)
            Else
                MsgBox(64, "Password is not strong!", "Re-type password, Password must be 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 special character, alphanumeric characters")
                GUICtrlSetData($Password, "")
            EndIf
    EndSwitch
WEnd

searched the forum, but good not find a good example

Edit;

the password must be eight characters long including at least 1 number and includes both lower and uppercase letters and at least 1 special character.

€ , £ and letters with umlauts, accents, etc. are not allowed.

I need only a single regular expression

Thanks in advance

Edited by Mecano

This might help you:

And Just recently I needed something similar and the code in this thread was very easy to use and worked perfectly:

ViciousXUSMC, thanks for the answer, both topics I find already and they are very useful,  but I need a good pattern.

Sorry I forget to tell that , £ and letters with umlauts, accents, etc. are not allowed.

(?=.*\W) this will find any non-word character

jguinch,

thanks, your code works,

but :>

let say aABbgh@q is now valid too

My first question is wrong, sorry
The good question must be:

at least 1 number and includes both lower and uppercase letters and at least 1 special character

jguinch, That's the pattern I need, thank you

Solved

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• ISI360
      By ISI360
      Hi!

I need a little bit help from some RegEx experts please:
      I would make my ISN AutoIt Studio faster when generating the scripttree. And what would be better to do this via regex?
      Problem is i am not really good at this regex stuff. So maybe someone could help me here.

The challange is to get all Global Variables from a script via RegEx in a Array.
      Here is a example script with some tests:
      Global $Var1 = 1234 Local $Local_Var = 1234 $Ignore_me_too = 1234 Global $Var2 = 1234, $var3 = 1242 Global $ahIcons[30], $ahLabels[30] Global Const $Var4 = iniread($inivar1,"jj","jj","") , $var5= iniread($inivar2,"jj","jj","") Global $Var_String = "was" Global $Array_Test[16] = [1,15,16,0,31,15,25,15,25,30,8,30,8,15,1,15] Global Enum $MARGIN_SCRIPT_NUMBER = 0, $MARGIN_SCRIPT_ICON, $MARGIN_SCRIPT_FOLD Global Const $Delim = '\', $Delim1 = '|' Global $hard1 = "a", _ $hard2 = "b", _ $hard3 = "c"  
      The returning array should look like this:
      $Var1 $Var2 $var3 $Var4 $var5 $Var_String $Array_Test $MARGIN_SCRIPT_NUMBER $MARGIN_SCRIPT_ICON $MARGIN_SCRIPT_FOLD $Delim $Delim1 $hard1 $hard2 $hard3  
      I already made some success with a expression i found in the SciTE Jump Tool:  (\$\w+)(?:[\h\[.=+*/^,)\-])?
      This nearly returns the perfect results. But it does not check if it´s a global variable (with the const and enum options) and also returns variables in commands (for example $inivar1)
      I also found this regex: (?im:^(?=Global|Const|Enum|Static)(?:Global)?\h*(?:Const|Enum|Static)?(?:(?<=Enum)\h+Step\h+[+*-]\d+)?\h*)([^\r\n .\=]+)
      This returns also usefull results...but trying to understand this explodes my head

Maybe someone can help me here?
      Thanks in advance!
    • VIP
      By VIP
      I can not do anything with any user in the "Local Users Group"
      I tried from my account but I could not change my password (ie set new password)!
      But I was able to activate the Administrator account and I logged into the Administrator account and still could not do anything with my account! But I can set the password and disable the Administrator account from my account or Administrator.
      Any ideas? (Ignore the click on the Sign-in option in the Change Accout settings.)

• TheAutomator
      By TheAutomator
      Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?..
      #include <array.au3> $regexp = StringRegExp("test 'a b c'", "'([^']|'')*'|\S+", 3) _ArrayDisplay($regexp) trying to split this "test 'a b c'  'some other '' test'' ...'" into:
      0: test
      1: 'a b c'
      2: ...
      but it gives me:
      0: test
      1: c
    • anthonyjr2
      By anthonyjr2
      Hi guys,
      I am pretty bad with regex, and am having some trouble trying to come up with an expression for a certain type of string. Basically I want to be able to tell if a string is of the format:
      AA#####A
      Where the A's are any letter from A-Z and the #'s are any digit from 0-9.
      I've been playing around with a regex tester online for a while but I can't really seem to grasp the concept very well. Could anyone give me any tips?
      This isn't exactly an AutoIt specific question which is why I didn't post it in General Help & Support.
    • CarlD
      By CarlD
      I'm a command-line kind of guy, and I write scripts primarily for myself.  Since many websites nowadays require strong passwords, I thought I'd write a simple password generator in AutoIt. I know that AutoIt mavens have written more elaborate pw generators; I offer mine for what it's worth. The compiled script, GenPass.exe, can be downloaded here. See below for Help text and source. Enjoy!
      Updates:
      2017-05-06: Default password changed to variable length of 13-22 characters; argument "1" no longer supported
                            When compiled as GenPW.exe, password is sent directly to the clipboard, no message box unless password generation fails.
      2017-05-05: Correction to bypass password generation if argument is ?|H|h
      2017-05-03: Added special argument 1 to generate a password of variable length (10-18 characters) including two (2) separator characters
      2017-05-02: Added option /S to set a (persistent) randomization seed
      Help:
      GenPass.exe|GenPW.exe -- CLD rev. 2017-05-06
      Generate a strong password and save it to the Windows clipboard
      Note: GenPW.exe has the same functionality as GenPass.exe, but
            sends the generated password directly to the clipboard.
            No message box is displayed (unless password generation fails).

"Strong" means that the password contains random combinations of
      alphnumeric characters, including at least one uppercase letter
      (A-N,P-Z), one lowercase letter (a-k,m-z), and one number (0-9).
      (Generated passwords do not use uppercase O or lowercase l as
      these characters are easily confused with the numbers 0 and 1.)
      The length of the password is up to you (see Usage, below),
      but needless to say, the longer, the stronger.
      By default, GenPass generates a strong password of between 13
      and 22 characters that includes two of the following separator
      characters: $%&()*+,-./:;@[]_. Alternatively, you can supply a
      command-line argument in which any number n from 1 to 9 stands
      for a random sequence of alphanumeric characters of length
      n, and any other character stands for itself. Thus, you can
      include fixed words and other characters, such as separators,
      in the generated password. Spaces in the argument are converted
      to underscores. Here are some examples:
      Usage             Sample output
      -----             -------------
      GenPass           MqU26A*6dS-53r8
      GenPass 9         frdhPYDs9
      GenPass 58        weoXYHKxDI1uQ
      GenPass 5.5       UfA6j.43VBB
      GenPass 3-4-3     0I0-6gq4-njc
      GenPass 5,3.7     I2FSR,tRZ.fjeIsFy
      GenPass 3)5(3     UMf)m8513(CBq
      GenPass 3[haha]3  yLa[haha]P3y
      GenPass Yes way5  Yes_way1BsUh
      Seed Option (/S)
      ----------------
      Adding switch /S to the command-line argument causes GenPass to
      set a seed for the random generation of password characters. A
      bare /S sets a randomized seed which is written to disk in a file
      named GenPass.rnd; this seed is used for all subsequent launches
      of GenPass with the bare /S option. Alternatively, you can specify
      a seed (range -2^31 to 2^31-1) on the command line with /S [seed].
      Here are some examples:
      GenPass /S
      GenPass /S 33.3333
      GenPass 5,5,5 /S
      GenPass 5,5,5 /S 33.3333
      Note that any subsequent launch of GenPass without the /S option
      will cause GenPass.rnd to be deleted.
      Source:
      #Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile=GenPass.exe #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=y #EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI **** #cs GENPASS.AU3 -- AutoIt v3 CLD rev.2017-05-05 ------------------ Generate a strong password and save it to the clipboard >> Command GenPass ? for detailed help << ------------------------------------------------------- #ce #include <Clipboard.au3> #include <FileConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <StringConstants.au3> AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", -4) FileInstall ("d:\path\GenPass.htm", @ScriptDir & "\GenPass.htm", $FC_OVERWRITE) ; Template/Seed Local $sTemp = "" Local $bSeed = False, $fSeed=False If $CmdLine[0] Then $sTemp = $CmdLineRaw If $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] = "/s" Then $bSeed = True $sTemp = StringTrimRight($sTemp, 2) $sTemp = StringStripWS($sTemp, $STR_STRIPTRAILING) EndIf If $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0] - 1] = "/s" Then $bSeed = True $fSeed = $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] $sTemp = StringTrimRight($sTemp, 3 + StringLen($fSeed)) $sTemp = StringStripWS($sTemp, $STR_STRIPTRAILING) EndIf EndIf If Not $sTemp Then $sTemp = "8" If $sTemp = "1" Then $aSeps = StringSplit("#$%&()*+,-./:;@[]_", "") $sTemp = String(Random(3,6,1)) & $aSeps[Random(1,$aSeps[0],1)] & _ String(Random(2,4,1)) & $aSeps[Random(1,$aSeps[0],1)] & _ String(Random(3,6,1)) EndIf $sFn = @ScriptDir&"\GenPass.rnd" If $bSeed Then If Not $fSeed Then If Not FileExists($sFn) Then $fSeed = Random(-1.999^31,1.999^31,0) $h=FileOpen($sFn,2) If $h > -1 Then FileWrite($h,$fSeed) FileClose($h) Else Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Error opening " & $sFn) EndIf Else $h=FileOpen($sFn) If $h > -1 Then $fSeed=FileRead($h) FileClose($h) Else Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Error opening " & $sFn) EndIf EndIf EndIf SRandom($fSeed) Else If FileExists($sFn) Then FileDelete($sFn) EndIf ; Show help If StringInStr("?Hh", $sTemp) Then If WinExists("[REGEXPTITLE:GenPass.exe:.*]") Then WinActivate("[REGEXPTITLE:GenPass.exe:.*]") Else ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & "\GenPass.htm") EndIf Exit EndIf ; Main $sTemp = StringReplace($sTemp, " ", "_") $iC = 1 While $iC < 10001 $sPW = GenPW($sTemp) If $sPW Then ClipPut($sPW) If Not StringInStr (@ScriptName, "GenPW") Then _ MsgBox($MB_ICONINFORMATION, @ScriptName, $sPW & _ " saved to clipboard" & @CRLF & @CRLF & _ @ScriptName & " ? shows detailed help") Exit Else $iC += 1 EndIf WEnd Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONWARNING, @ScriptName, "Password generation failed!") ;------------------------------- Func GenPw($sTemplate) Local $aIn = StringSplit($sTemplate,"") Local $sOut = "" Local $sABC = _ "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789" Local $aAB = StringSplit($sABC, "") Local $bUC = 0, $bLC = 0, $bNR = 0 For $i = 1 To $aIn[0] If Int($aIn[$i]) Then $iK = $aIn[$i] For $j = 1 To $iK $iR = Random(1, $aAB[0],1) Select Case StringInStr("0123456789", $aAB[$iR]) $bNR = 1 Case StringInStr("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ", _ $aAB[$iR], $STR_CASESENSE) $bUC = 1 Case StringInStr("abcdefghijklmnpqrstuvwxyz", _ $aAB[$iR], $STR_CASESENSE) $bLC = 1 EndSelect $sOut &= $aAB[$iR] Next Else $sOut &= $aIn[$i] EndIf Next If ($bUC And $bLC And $bNR) Then Return $sOut Else Return 0 EndIf EndFunc