ViciousXUSMC

IE Automation Resources

ViciousXUSMC

I sort of get a break from "things I have to do" and can do a bit of "things I want to do" for scripting for a bit :)

One thing that would be infinitely useful that I really need to get under my belt is internet/website automation.

I used to use this heavily years ago when working helpdesk before I converted over to AutoIT (was using the "other guys" stuff back then)

IE being the easiest to work with I would assume (even though its not a browser I use)

I google/search and poke in and out of various threads to learn some of it, but I had to ask do we have like a be all end all thread or resource that really shows how to figure this stuff out?  An example would be opening a page and then finding all the links/buttons/forms to interact with.  I am currently doing that with a For loop using one of the GetCollection type of functions, but it could be easier to look at the page source or maybe even have a tool like the Autoit Window Info tool that can simply mouse over things but I have not found the information to point to these techniques/tools. 

Any tips/tricks, links, etc I can get would be a good help to start me in the right direction.

Regards,

ViciousXUSMC

Yeah, I looked at that a few times and every time I am way over my head :(

Last time somebody showed me that it was in my thread about Automating the Steam GUI and I tried and got as far as having it activate the Steam Window lol.  Maybe it will be easier with an IE browser.  I'll have to give it a shot again.

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• boomingranny
      By boomingranny
      ;****************************************************************** ;Spotify Automation: Start spotify and play a playlist ;v1.01 27/04/2018 ;------------------------------------------------------------------ ;by Daniel Barnes ;------------------------------------------------------------------ ;v1.01 27/04/2018 ;restarts spotify if it fails the first time ;works on computers that minimize Spotify to tray ;instead of closing it, and have a different ui element selected ;such as the Devices available option when spotify is started ;------------------------------------------------------------------ ;v1.00 25/04/2018 ;initial version ;------------------------------------------------------------------ ;Replace the below with the Spotify URI ;If you right click the playlist> share> copy spotify uri ;you can find the uri $spotifyURI = "spotify:user:12177300374:playlist:0iaTAvHRSaIkD23ofl2tck" ;****************************************************************** ;if this script breaks in the future, figure this out using the AutoIt Window Info Tool Const $SpotifyWindowIdentifier = "[Title:Spotify;Class:Chrome_WidgetWin_0]" ;NOTE ABOUT SHUFFLE: ;I couldn't automate turning shuffling on or off ;I can toggle it, but I cannot figure out the current state ;If you want to shuffle, turn on shuffle in Spotify prior ;to running this script PlaySpotifyPlaylist($spotifyURI) Func PlaySpotifyPlaylist($spotifyURI,$retry = 0) ;terminate spotify process on subsequent attempts If $retry Then echo ("Closing existing Spotify process") ProcessClose("Spotify.exe") endif echo ("Launching Spotify URI") ShellExecute($spotifyURI) ;Pause any existing song playing (if there is any) ;this is because Spotify's window title is only 'Spotify' when it is not playing any songs If Not WinExists($SpotifyWindowIdentifier) Then echo ("Pausing existing song (To find spotify window)") $timer = TimerInit() While Not WinExists($SpotifyWindowIdentifier) Send("{MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE}") Sleep(500) If TimerDiff($timer) > 5 * 1000 Then ErrorMsg ("Timed out trying pause existing song") WEnd endif ;Get Spotify Window Handle $hwndSpotify = WinGetHandle($SpotifyWindowIdentifier) echo ("Attempting to play playlist") $timer = TimerInit() While WinGetTitle($hwndSpotify) = "Spotify" ;once it is playing the song, the title changes to the name of the song WinActivate($hwndSpotify) ControlSend($hwndSpotify,"","","{ENTER}") ;space will play what was previously playing (even another playlist or song), enter will play the playlist ;) Sleep(1000) If TimerDiff($timer) > 5 * 1000 Then If $retry Then ErrorMsg ("Timed out trying to play playlist") else Return PlaySpotifyPlaylist($spotifyURI,$retry+1) endif endif WEnd EndFunc Func echo($text) ConsoleWrite ($text&@CRLF) EndFunc Func ErrorMsg($text) MsgBox(16,StringTrimRight(@ScriptName,4),$text) Exit EndFunc  
    • TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      TeraCopy Timer - A program of mine, front end really, that I have been working on (on & off) for some time, but not shared here before, that I recall. Third party program TeraCopy is required.
      Many of you will be familiar with TeraCopy, and it has been discussed here at AF on several occasions, in various sub forums, including Chat.
      BE ADVISED - I still use an older version of TeraCopy (v2.27), a goody but an oldy, so have only tested my program with that. It may work with the newer v3.xx, or may be easily adjusted to do so, but I have not yet gone that route. Likewise, I only use it with Win 7 and Win XP, but I don't imagine there should be any issues with newer Windows. Add to that, my program being devised and created in AutoIt v3.3.0.0.
      So what is TeraCopy Timer and why might you need it?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Those familiar with TeraCopy use, know you can run multiple copy or move jobs either simultaneously or concurrently (one immediately after another has finished). With the free version at least, you have no control over precise order or timing, and no way to deal (without manual interaction) with the pesky Thumbs.db files in Win XP. TeraCopy Timer allows you to do all those things, and in a batch fashion.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Some screenshots and brief explanation
      Main Window
      Minimalist Window
      This new WAIT feature is the simplest and best way to use the program generally (in my view) ... but check out the following, as it is not always the case.
      Advanced Delay Window
      WARNING - It should go without saying, that you take all the usual precautions. For instance, don't use move with the only copy you have of precious files. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Don't hold me liable for anything, except for being a nice guy who likes to share.
      TeraCopy Timer v2.8.zip  (see detail at Post #34)
      Enjoy!
      OLDER DOWNLOADS
      P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with those who created and provide the excellent third party program - TeraCopy.
      By 31290
      Hi everyone, hope you are doing fine
      Well, I'm currently writing a small script that goes to a certain web page, finds the first link of a specified section and download the file associated to this link.
      Depending on the computer that the tool is launched, the script gets the computer model and search in the (provided here) ini file which link to follow.
      At first, Dell was kind enough to provide only one link but now, they provide two of them. The first one is now a .txt file (  ) whereas my script has been designed to download only the fist and latest link released for the BIOS Update.

Here's the current code which is working with only the first and latest link of the BIOS category:
      So the question is: 
      In the case of double links like shown in the picture above, how it is possible to tell the script to download only the link containing an the .exe file?
      Of course, I could have changed the array result to [1] instead of [0] [which is working] but it seems that Dell does that randomly and that I deal with a lot of computer models.
      Thanks for the help you can provide, 
      -31290-

SEE_BIOS_LINKS.ini
    • Robdog1955
      By Robdog1955
      I'm trying to click a button on a web page. I have added a couple of MsgBox lines to allow me to watch what happens on the page. As you can see the first half of my script enters data into text boxes on the page. I have no problem there. I just cannot click on the region buttons. The "set focus" line causes an outline to appear around the EU button and the "click button" line causes the "Pick a Region" text to disappear. Here is the code I have so far.
      #include <IE.au3> Local $oIE = _IECreate("http://questchecker.com/") Local $iQuestID = "123456" Local $sCharacterName = "CharacterName" Local $colForms = _IEFormGetCollection($oIE) $iCount = 0 For $oForm In $colForms $oFormElements = _IEFormElementGetCollection($oForm) For $oFormElement In $oFormElements $iCount = $iCount + 1 Local $sTagName = StringLower($oFormElement.tagName) Local $sElementType = $oFormElement.type Local $sElementName = $oFormElement.name Switch $iCount Case 6 _IEFormElementSetValue($oFormElement, "MyRealm", 0) ; realm Case 7 _IEFormElementSetValue($oFormElement, $sCharacterName, 0) Case 8 _IEFormElementSetValue($oFormElement, $iQuestID, 0) EndSwitch Next Next Local $oButtons = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "questForm") For $oButton In $oButtons If _IEFormElementGetValue($oButton) = "US" Then MsgBox(0, "", "Click Okay to set focus") _IEAction($oButton, "focus") MsgBox(0, "", "Click Okay to click button") _IEAction($oButton, "click") ExitLoop EndIf Next MsgBox(0, "", "Click Okay to quit") _IEQuit($oIE) Exit  
    • Tippex
      By Tippex
      I have a problem trying to use _IEAttach to recover control after a Windows Explorer reset (e.g. on Windows 7), since all the 
      InternetExplorer.Application objects appear to be destroyed by this event. An example of this is when a PC has some kind of fault causing a pop-up error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working". I can simulate this event by using Windows Task Manager to end the Explorer.exe process then to file, new task (run...) Explorer.exe
      After this event, _IEAttach gives an @error of: 
      7 ($_IEStatus_NoMatch) - No Match
      However, using WinList() followed by WinGetText() I can recover the URL for an IE session that has lost its 
      InternetExplorer.Application object which could be used to _IECreate a new session (the $iTryAttach fails) and WinKill() the original session but the result is a if a refresh had been done (any form entries are lost) . Unfortunately form entries do not appear as text or hidden text to Windows so I'm looking for the best way to read the contents of an Internet Explorer screen (even if just text without structure). 
      When there is no InternetExplorer.Application object (because of some Windows fault) but still with an Internet Explorer session running, I tried to read its contents by a "Select All" & "Copy to Clipboard" but its form entries are blanked and combo boxes choices are all displayed with no way of finding out which ones were selected.
      Local $ClipBoardSave = _ClipBoard_GetData() ;not ClipGet() which is text only ClipPut("") ;Clear User's Clipboard Local $sText = "" Local $hWnd = WinActivate("Window Title", "") If IsHWnd($hWnd) Then Local $bStatusCtrlSend = ControlSend("Window Title", "", "", "^a^c") If $bStatusCtrlSend Then Local $bStatusCtrlClick = ControlClick("Window Title", "", "") If $bStatusCtrlClick Then $sText = ClipGet() _ClipBoard_SetData($ClipBoardSave) ;not ClipPut($ClipBoardSave) which is text only  
      Is  there a solution to this please?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.