ShawnW

Internet tracking information

3 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

So I work at a university and one of the PhD students and a faculty member I support came to me with this problem. I'm giving backstory because the request itself might come off as rather shady, but it is purely for academic interest, among a controlled group of volunteers for dissertation research.

They will be giving a large set of students and other volunteers a set of problems to solve, such as researching the best location for a certain type of business in a particular city. Anyway, they want to study how the volunteers go about finding the answers. The want to be able to track the URLs visited, time spent on each page, number of words on page, number of images/videos on page, and list of the meta tags. They are fine with having the volunteers run an exe before starting in order to track the data.

The only solution I have thought of so far is to also ask that the volunteers use IE and have autoit use the IE functions to track and parse the required information. I haven't built anything yet, but before I start I would like to get any other ideas that might not restrict it to IE, or even a non-autoit solution so that they don't have to eliminate mac users from the test. I realize this type of tracking is exactly what browsers and security software tries to prevent and told them as much, if necessary we can force users to take the tests in our lab where we have complete control but this would limit the scope of the test significantly.

Edited by ShawnW

Remote into the computers via vnc or something like that and use something like screencapture on your local machine to record what the students are doing. You cant really use autoit on a Mac but you can use VNC (you might be able to get some functionality with wine) . You can optionally store the videos and review them later. If you are just looking to record the data then you should be able to use autoit to get it done. There is an au3 for chrome, firefox and ie. They are wildly different.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html