Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mingre

Detect lines of black text on screen (not OCR)

2 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hello forums,

I'd like to know if anyone has better idea than what I have. I'm creating a program that will detect (not OCR!) blocks of words (black text) on a white background displayed on the screen. (If anyone is curious about its purpose, this code will be part of a program that will randomly select a word on a PDF file and have the user guess that word. I'll be using it to quiz myself with my PDF notes. )

What I created so far: Using FastFind.au3, I was able to make it detect lines of black text (font Lucida Console) on a single column. It basically considers a line a separate one if bounded above and below by horizontal lines that do not contain black pixels. Next step, which I haven't done yet, will be to go through each line and detect the blocks of words.

The program works fine so far with Lucida Console font but it doesn't when tested on TNR font (see attached sample image). The former can be tested by setting $iOption to "text" while the latter by setting it to "select".

So does anyone have a better idea on going about this? Thank you!

Sorry if my code's a mess. I tried to make it cleaner before posting it but this is the best I can manage.

#include <FastFind.au3>
#include <array.au3>
HotKeySet('{ESC}', '__Exit')

Local $iImagePos[4], $iXa, $iXb, $iYa, $iYb
$iOption = 'text'
Switch $iOption
  Case 'text'   ; Creates sample text file for detection
    Local Const $sSampleTextFileName = 'sample.txt'
    FileWrite($sSampleTextFileName, '')
    FileOpen($sSampleTextFileName, 2)
    FileWrite($sSampleTextFileName, 'First line.' & @CRLF & 'Second line.' & @CRLF & @CRLF & 'Third line.')
    FileClose($sSampleTextFileName)
    ShellExecute($sSampleTextFileName)
    Local Const $sSampleTextFileTitle = 'sample - Notepad'
    WinWait($sSampleTextFileTitle)
    WinMove($sSampleTextFileTitle, '', 0, 0, @DesktopWidth / 2, @DesktopHeight / 2)
    Sleep(500)
    $iImagePos = __ControlGetPos($sSampleTextFileTitle, '[CLASS:Edit; INSTANCE:1]') ; Gets the absolute coordinates of the edit control.
    Local $iXa = $iImagePos[0], _
        $iXb = $iImagePos[0] + $iImagePos[2], _
        $iYa = $iImagePos[1], _
        $iYb = $iImagePos[1] + $iImagePos[3]
  Case 'select'
    MsgBox(0, 'Select', 'Select first')
    $iXa = MouseGetPos(0)
    $iYa = MouseGetPos(1)
    MsgBox(0, 'Select', 'Select second')
    $iXb = MouseGetPos(0)
    $iYb = MouseGetPos(1)
EndSwitch

Local $array[1][2] ; Will be used for saving coordinates of lines of text
Local $iBlackPixelCount
Local $bHasNoPreviousZero = True ; Will be used as a toggle for skipping succeeding lines that have no black pixels.
Local $iStep = 1
For $y = $iYa To $iYb Step $iStep
  FFSnapShot($iXa, $y, $iXb, $y)
  $iBlackPixelCount = FFColorCount(0x000000, 50, False)
  ; $iBlackPixelPercent = Round(100 * (FFColorCount(0x000000, 0, False) / $iImagePos[2]), 2) ; Computes for percentage of black pixels on horizontal line.
  ; If $iBlackPixelCount > 0 Or $bHasNoPreviousZero Then
  ; $bHasNoPreviousZero = True
  _ArrayAdd($array, $iBlackPixelCount)
  $array[UBound($array) - 1][1] = $y
  ; If $iBlackPixelCount = 0 Then $bHasNoPreviousZero = False
  ; EndIf
Next

; To check detected lines. This will move mouse to the lower-left corner of the text line.
For $i = 0 To UBound($array) - 1 Step +1
  If $array[$i][0] > 0 Then
    If $i + 1 <= UBound($array) - 1 Then
      If $array[$i + 1][0] = 0 Then
        MouseMove($iXa, $array[$i][1])
        Sleep(500)
      EndIf
    EndIf
  ;
  EndIf
Next

_ArrayDisplay($array)

Func __ControlGetPos($hWnd, $controlID, $bAbsolute = Default)
  ;; https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/88345-absolute-position-of-guicontrol/
  If $bAbsolute = Default Then $bAbsolute = True
  Local $controlPos
  Switch $bAbsolute
    Case True
      Local Const $hWnd_Control = ControlGetHandle($hWnd, "", $controlID)
      $controlPos = WinGetPos($hWnd_Control)
    Case False
      $controlPos = ControlGetPos($hWnd, "", $controlID)
  EndSwitch
  If Not IsArray($controlPos) Then SetError(1)
  Return $controlPos
EndFunc   ;==>__ControlGetPos

Func __Exit()
  Exit
EndFunc   ;==>__Exit

FastFind.dll

FastFind.au3

FastFind64.dll

sample image.bmp

Edited by Mingre

Hello instead of checking for black pixels, I changed it to check white pixels and it now works on TNR font. Thanks everyone! :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      MS Splash Screens
      The office 2016/17 office suite has made many people turn heads with its functions and especially their splash screen.
      I now present to you, the MS Style Splash Screen. For Rookies, Novices and anyone who wants a ready made splash screen for your gui application.

You can now download it and also try it out yourself.
      You have three colors to choose from:
      Blue
      Red
      Green
      All three colours are from the famous programs.
      I also included the KODA form to you can have freedom with this splash screen.
      Note: the KODA form does not have the three colours as well as the correct blue. 

Have fun and enjoy.
      Note:
      I will update the splash to add the automated 3 dots animation at a later stage. 

• houser747
      By houser747
      I have previously used _IEFormElementGetObjByName and _IEFormElementSetValue to enter text into a search box on a form and then submit the form.
      I am now trying to enter text into a search box which is not part of a form. 
      Here is the HTML from the website that i'm trying to enter the data on and then submit the search.
      <div class="row">
          <div class="form-group col-xs-12">
              <span id="FullWidthWithSubmenuContent_FullWidthContent_MainContent_AircraftRegistry_lblSearchText" for="input-search">Registreringsbeteckning</span>
              <div class="input-group col-xs-12">
                  <span id="FullWidthWithSubmenuContent_FullWidthContent_MainContent_AircraftRegistry_preSearchText" class="input-group-addon">SE -</span>
                  <input name="ctl00$FullWidthWithSubmenuContent$FullWidthContent$MainContent$AircraftRegistry$txtSearchText" type="text" value="DTH" id="FullWidthWithSubmenuContent_FullWidthContent_MainContent_AircraftRegistry_txtSearchText" class="form-control" />
              </div>
          </div>
      </div>
      <div class="row">
          <div class="form-group col-xs-12">
              <label class="sr-only" for="">Sök</label>
              <input type="submit" name="ctl00$FullWidthWithSubmenuContent$FullWidthContent$MainContent$AircraftRegistry$btnSearch" value="Sök" id="FullWidthWithSubmenuContent_FullWidthContent_MainContent_AircraftRegistry_btnSearch" class="btn btn-primary ladda-button" data-style="expand-right" />
          </div>
      </div>
      Many thanks in advance
      cheers
      Roger
    • robcull
      By robcull
      Hello all! I have had some issues reading text from different types of windows, occasionally, specifically with controlgettext. 
      **Before I begin, I know there are better ways to do what I attempt in the example below. That's not the point of this post. The point is my issues with controlgettext. 
      I am about to cite an example with an application you may be familiar with called SpeedFan (v4.52). My problem is not specific to speedfan, it is simply the most recent and easily reproducible example I can think of. 
      So, the goal of the script below is to get a string of text containing the current fan RPMs from the highlighted control in the screenshot below (see "speedfan_control_details.png").

Now, here's a simple script for grabbing the window handle and reading the text from that control: 
      $wintitle = "SpeedFan 4.52" $controlID = "197934" ;will be reformatted as "[ID:######]" $hwnd = wingethandle($wintitle) if @error<>0 then msgbox(0, "WinGetHandle", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) Exit EndIf $text = ControlGetText($hwnd, "", "[ID:"&$controlID&"]") if @error=1 then msgbox(0, "ControlGetText", "FAILURE. @error="&@error) ;failure returns "" and @error=1 Exit EndIf msgbox (0, "ControlGetText", "SUCCESS. @error="&@error &@CRLF& "$text="&$text) ;success returns string and @error=0 You'll see that the ControlGetText operation runs without error, however it does not capture any text from the control. If you explore the other controls in this one window, you'll find mixed results across the board. Neither the temps nor voltages can be read, while the log field and some other elements can be read. Even when you read the text from the whole window, those elements are not included in the visible nor hidden texts. 

I have run into this issue many times in the past- inconsistencies in the ability of autoit to interact with certain controls. What is it which makes this text different than any other readable texts? Is there an alternate method of reading the text in the window/control which could work? Any and all info to help me solve this mystery and satisfy my curiosity would be greatly appreciated. 
      Thanks  -Rob C
      PS: Running Autoit v3.3.14.2 on Win7 Ultimate x64
    • thoms
      By thoms
      Hello Forum,
      I'm trying to vertically center text in label controls, but no way. The search on the forum returns no result, or I don't search the right way
      When I insert a button and a label of same size close to each other, the text is centered on the button, but top aligned on the label, or edit. Which doesn't look really aesthetic
      Any idea is welcome
      Thanks in advance,
      Thoms
    • Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi All,
      I know many newbies search for this feature.
      I decided to share this piece of code with everyone.
      Basically its a "splash screen" that has a transparent image.
      In a nutshell - Gui with a transparent gif.
      Enjoy...
      Download attachment....

Splash Screen GUI.zip