ur

How to implement timeout

12 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted

I have automated an install process by using the below code.

Func _WinWaitActivate($title,$text,$timeout=0)
    WinWait($title,$text,$timeout)
    If Not WinActive($title,$text) Then WinActivate($title,$text)
    WinWaitActive($title,$text,$timeout)
EndFunc

$win1 = "Text 1"
$win2 = "Text 2"

_WinWaitActivate($win1,"WARNING: This progra")
Send("{ALTDOWN}n{ALTUP}");Send("{SPACE}")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"I DISAGREE and &do n")
Send("{UP}n")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"Customer Information")
Send("{ALTDOWN}n{ALTUP}");Send("{TAB}{TAB}n")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"Click Next to instal")
Send("{ALTDOWN}n{ALTUP}");Send("n")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"This feature require")
Send("{ALTDOWN}n{ALTUP}");Send("{TAB}n")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"Ready to Install the")
Send("{ALTDOWN}i{ALTUP}");Send("i")
_WinWaitActivate($win1,"The InstallShield Wi")
Send("{ALTDOWN}f{ALTUP}");Send("f")
_WinWaitActivate($win2,"You must restart you")
Send("{ALTDOWN}n{ALTUP}");Send("n")

Now if any new screen comes in the middle of installation, like some VC++ installation error or like that.

The AutoIT is waiting in the background.

Is there any way to skip the new screens with just "enter" and continue the installation??

#2 ·  Posted

If its installshield why use send keys?  Use silent uninstall strings, also a number of InstallShield setups will allow you to create a response file so that it's preconfigured.  Whats the name of the program?

#3 ·  Posted

7 minutes ago, Subz said:

If its installshield why use send keys?  Use silent uninstall strings, also a number of InstallShield setups will allow you to create a response file so that it's preconfigured.  Whats the name of the program?

Thanks @Subz for the help.

But we want to test the installation in all scenarios before releasing it to end users.

Silent, we have done already.

This part is for GUI, as to check all the GUI screens are coming as expected.

#4 ·  Posted

"This part is for GUI, as to check all the GUI screens are coming as expected." don't really understand as users shouldn't see any Gui during the installation

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

I didn't get your question @Subz

Why users shouldn't see the GUI??If they install using normal GUI mode.

Edited by ur

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

Normally when I package software for deployment, I would do the following:

1. Check for processes running, ask user to close if open, or if required force close the application
  2. Check for previous installations
    • True - Check Version
      • Same or Newer Version - Perform a repair of the software or Exit Script
      • Older Version - Uninstall previous installations
  3. Install pre-requisites for software, VC++, .Net etc...
  4. Install software product
  5. Configure software product - User profile settings etc...

Edited by Subz

#7 ·  Posted

What I meant by my question above was, if you have configured the package correctly the user should never have to run the installer manually.  If they did I would normally have the script from my last post in the same installation directory so they just run this, I normally call it something like JavaRuntimeInstaller.exe with the actual Java Runtime exes in the same folder for x86 and x64 just as an example.

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi @Subz

I think this going out of the conversation, sorry if I miss any information to specify previously while creating the thread.

The scenario with process steps you mentioned above is for end user deployment using some tool like SCCM.

But in my case, we are releasing our product installer in our website and the enduser may deploy as you mentioned if needed for multiple machines or he can install only on few machines using the GUI screens when you launch the setup file.

We need to test both GUI installation and silent installation before releasing in our website.

So, can you give any other suggestion for GUI installation instead of the silent installation (as that part is already handled). 

Edited by ur

#9 ·  Posted

All of the vendors I deal with normally have the silent install and installation instructions, I've never seen a third option for clicking the buttons, I wouldn't recommend setting up an installer with send keys as there are just so many possibilities of failure, for example a user clicks another window, or another application takes focus.

Just my 2 cents.

#10 ·  Posted

1 minute ago, Subz said:

All of the vendors I deal with normally have the silent install and installation instructions, I've never seen a third option for clicking the buttons, I wouldn't recommend setting up an installer with send keys as there are just so many possibilities of failure, for example a user clicks another window, or another application takes focus.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you.

But I think you don't understand the scenario.

We are not giving for one particular customer.

It is for multiple customers.

As we are giving both silent and UI mode installation, we need to do prior testing before delivery in both the cases.

If there is a silent installation means it doesn't mean we should not test or support UI mode installation, right?

So coming to the present issue, can we skip any extra UI screens by clicking on enter button or something like that? to continue the installation.

#11 ·  Posted

You would have to run the installer on a clean machine, find out what windows popup and use an If WinExists(...) Then do something.  Still doesn't make much sense to me, if the script is for your own use only, shouldn't you know what prereqs will pop-up and keeping an eye on the install to check for issues?

#12 ·  Posted

The project ism file is same, but the data or files changes on daily basis, so to automate that testing part I need this.

And the winexists logic i didn't understand, can you please elaborate it