fosil

Run batch file on a seperate window from consolewrite?

8 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi everyone.

I'm currently working a program that constantly prints out log files through "consolewrite" and the "#AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI=y" wrapper.

Part of this program requires me to run a batch script.

My issue is the batch script launches from the same window as consolewrite. I need the batch file to be launched through a different window as currently this causes an issue with the logs (which need to be very precise) but also causes the batch file to produce some funny behavior...

Does anyone know how I can force the file to run on a second DOS window?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edit: Im using the "run" command if that helps. I tried "shellexecute" but that seemed to not launch the batch scripts at all.

Edited by fosil

#2 ·  Posted

Instead of using ConsoleWrite to create the log information, why don't you just write it to a file, and then it won't need to run as a CUI program.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#3 ·  Posted

10 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

Instead of using ConsoleWrite to create the log information, why don't you just write it to a file, and then it won't need to run as a CUI program.

I have to do both. The logs get displayed in real time on the console as well as a text file. Unfortunately I can't change that part.

#4 ·  Posted

Sure you can, use an edit control to display the live content.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#5 ·  Posted

1 minute ago, BrewManNH said:

Sure you can, use an edit control to display the live content.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that? Can you give me an example?

I'm not entirely sure If I can incorporate it in my situation because that part was written by someone else and I rather leave it alone, but if itl fix this issue im open to it :)

#6 ·  Posted

Show me your script and I'll show you how to modify it.

#7 ·  Posted

This is the function responsible for creating the logs:

Func Write_log($aString)

local $logfile = "D:\Logs\logfile.txt"

local $openlogfile = FileOpen($logfile)

If FileExists($logfile) = 0 Then
        _FileCreate($logfile)
    EndIf

If StringLen($aString) = 0 Then
        FileWriteLine($logfile,@CRLF)
        ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)

Else
        FileWriteLine($logfile,_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)
        ConsoleWrite(_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)

EndIf

FileClose($openlogfile)

EndFunc

#8 ·  Posted

Here's one way of doing it.

; somewhere at the start of your script you create a GUI and put an Edit control in it.

Func Write_log($aString)

local $logfile = "D:\Logs\logfile.txt"

local $openlogfile = FileOpen($logfile)

If FileExists($logfile) = 0 Then
        _FileCreate($logfile)
    EndIf

If StringLen($aString) = 0 Then
        FileWriteLine($logfile,@CRLF)
        GUICtrlSetData($hSomeEditControlID, @CRLF, 1)
    Else
        FileWriteLine($logfile,_Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF)
        GUICtrlSetData($hSomeEditControlID, _Now() & ": " & $aString & @CRLF, 1)
    EndIf

FileClose($openlogfile)

EndFunc

The number 1 at the end of the GUICtrlSetData is there just so that it's not an empty string, so that it will append your text to the end of the Edit control instead of overwrite its contents.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• rootx
      By rootx
      Hi, I need to convert this batch, I follow microsoft specs here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491005.aspx
      Ex:
      start /b 1.exe "path\2.exe"
      start /b mypgrcommand
      start /b /wait 3.exe "path\4_.exe"
      taskkill /F /IM 5.exe
      Somethings like this...
      RunWait( @COMSPEC & " /c start /b 1.exe 'path\2.exe' start /b mypgrcommand start /b /wait 3.exe 'path\4_.exe' taskkill /F /IM 5.exe", "", @SW_SHOW ) Thx
    • X_xkijux_x
      By X_xkijux_x
      Ok so im using this program. clarify for school. I would like to have a program that takes every word i type in microsoft word and searches on it in claryfi. is this possible. I would like to have the program not stopping me from typing more after that word. Like when i type a word it auto search it on clarify without making me stop typing and if i want to change i can do that and if im fine that word i can just keep typing and it will search after the next word. 
    • Miliardsto
      By Miliardsto
      Is this possible to make program works like in diagram? There is so much encryption methods and UDFs are they give security? If the $Address will be crypted with some encryption algorithm could be possible to get the value of $Address in easy way? Of course We know its easy too look into autoit code and get value of variable and so We dont want to anyone see $Address value - there are functions Could func1.au3, func2.au3.. be for example func1.php or other type of file? As we know .php files are unnable to see. For example func1 would be read by FileRead() and then Execute() Is this generally possible to do?
      Will it give secure?
      What do you think about? Maybe there is something wrong in this concept or missed.

• TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      TeraCopy Timer - A program of mine, front end really, that I have been working on (on & off) for some time, but not shared here before, that I recall. Third party program TeraCopy is required.
      Many of you will be familiar with TeraCopy, and it has been discussed here at AF on several occasions, in various sub forums, including Chat.
      BE ADVISED - I still use an older version of TeraCopy (v2.27), a goody but an oldy, so have only tested my program with that. It may work with the newer v3.xx, or may be easily adjusted to do so, but I have not yet gone that route. Likewise, I only use it with Win 7 and Win XP, but I don't imagine there should be any issues with newer Windows. Add to that, my program being devised and created in AutoIt v3.3.0.0.
      So what is TeraCopy Timer and why might you need it?
      I devised my program for two main reasons really, based on giving me greater control, using the Free version of TeraCopy, which has some limitations (perhaps even with the paid full version). My program utilizes the features of the TeraCopy command-line.
      1. I was fed up with Thumbs.db files regularly halting the process in Win XP or preventing a folder being deleted after a move. Only happens with Win XP.
      2. I wanted to automate delays between jobs, allowing all HDD's to rest periodically when doing large and lengthy jobs. Letting HDD's heat up too much, can have tragic results or considerably shorten their lifespan. Prevention is better than cure or just relying on monitoring software etc.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Those familiar with TeraCopy use, know you can run multiple copy or move jobs either simultaneously or concurrently (one immediately after another has finished). With the free version at least, you have no control over precise order or timing, and no way to deal (without manual interaction) with the pesky Thumbs.db files in Win XP. TeraCopy Timer allows you to do all those things, and in a batch fashion.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Some screenshots and brief explanation
      Main Window

You can browse to set the Source and Destination paths, or like me, just use Drag & Drop to those inputs.
      Once the Destination path has been set, the MIN (minimalist GUI) button becomes available. In Minimal mode, you get a further level of automation, once initial options are set, and thus less prompts ... none in fact, as jobs are created automatically based on either COPY or MOVE.
      Minimalist Window

In the Minimalist mode, you can only use Drag & Drop to add a source file or folder, and COPY or MOVE is permanently set when the window first opens, via a choice prompt.
      Assigning a WAIT is simple and easy, and is the latest feature added to the program ... I used a much more complex variant before that (see Advanced Delay).

The program now displays three file size reports.
      Individual Size of the current (last added) job (Blue label).
      Total Size of all jobs combined (Black label).
      Subtotal Size for each grouping of jobs, defined by a WAIT selection (Red label).
      You toggle between Black and Red, by just clicking that label. If no WAIT has been set, then the values will be the same.
      The wait of 5 minutes in the screenshot above is set for the source shown. It means wait 5 minutes before copying (or moving) that source.
      More sources added from that point, add to a new subtotal. To see the previous subtotal, you need to be at the main (MAX) window, and select the prior job.
      So every time a WAIT is clicked for a source a new subtotal count is started.

In the screenshot above, you can see the Job name, and that it is Job number 5 order wise. MOVE has been set for that job.
      Selecting Job 4, you will see the previous (complete) Subtotal. Selecting job 3 (in this instance), you would see the subtotal up to that job.
      Click the red Total label and it will change to Black, and show you the total size over all, as shown in the second screenshot above.
      This new WAIT feature is the simplest and best way to use the program generally (in my view) ... but check out the following, as it is not always the case.
      Advanced Delay Window

The Advanced Delay Options, are a further level of automation, added during the early stages of development, before I thought to create the Minimalist window and show Sizes. It was before I decided to put a lot more effort into the program. As with all my programs though, it is continual use that eventually dictates what I ultimately want to happen, to make my life easier ... simpler, better, smarter, quicker.
      The main difference between this older method, and the new WAIT one, where you specify delays precisely, is that the program attempts to determine the best moments to pause, based on various factors, which you setup and can vary between different types of Job sessions.
      The chief purpose for all the advanced options, is an attempt to cater for the difference between moving a small number of big files and a lot of small files. Moving or Copying lots of small files (hundreds or thousands), as many would know, can heat up a HDD far quicker and to a much higher temperature than a small number of (even very) large files. I guess that is primarily due to the sheer number of indexes that need to be created, and with small files are done at a staggering rate.
      Which method you use, is up to you, and should be governed by the type of job. Both methods can be used together, but not advised if you don't want the possibility of unnecessary extra long delays. EDIT - That said, you could use the WAIT option just for a delayed start of the first job ... perhaps your PC is busy doing something else until then, but you want to go and do something else for a bit, and have it all done by the time you return (i.e. watch a movie).
      WARNING - It should go without saying, that you take all the usual precautions. For instance, don't use move with the only copy you have of precious files. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Don't hold me liable for anything, except for being a nice guy who likes to share.
      TeraCopy Timer v2.0.zip
      Enjoy!
      P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with those who created and provide the excellent third party program - TeraCopy.
    • JaredStroeb
      By JaredStroeb
      I need to open an application and send it keys in Session 0.  I have exe's working locally, I can see the application open in session 0 through interactive services, but my send commands do not go to the application.  The following article running-autoit-session-0, directs me to use ControlSend() however my application has no controls that can be identified by AutoIt v3 Window Info.  Get All Windows Controls also returned nothing for the application's handle.  
      What are my options?  
      Can this be done with AutoIt?
      Is there a different "relatively simple" library/tool to use? (I am familiar with C# if there is a viable library there )