ModemJunki

Help with change network metric using WMI methods - Windows 10

7 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted

Hello,

In Windows 10 PowerShell, one can do this to change the metric for a NIC in Windows 10:

Get-NetAdapter | Where-Object -FilterScript {$_.InterfaceAlias -Eq "Ethernet 2"} | Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceMetric 2

I know I can script the above PowerShell line (and it works!), but I wanted to try something I hadn't done before after looking into jguinch's most excellent Network configuration UDF. I wanted to make use of the SetIPConnectionMetric method in the WMI classes. There is an example VBscript here but this is not for Windows 10. Using AutoIT would also give better control over capturing error return codes than with PowerShell.

But I cannot get my script to work! The return from SetIPConnectionMetric() is 0, which would indicate success. Yet the change does not happen. I also tried WMI methods using .put_ but this fails.

Anyone more experienced than I have ideas to make this work?

#RequireAdmin

_SetNicInterfaceMetric2("Ethernet 2", "2")

Func _SetNicInterfaceMetric2($NIC_NAME, $METRIC)
    Local $s_setIndx = 0
    $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel = impersonate}!\\" & "." & "\root\cimv2")

$colNICItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter WHERE NetConnectionID = '" & $NIC_NAME & "'", "WQL")
    If IsObj($colNICItems) Then
        For $objItem In $colNICItems
            $s_nicIndex = $objItem.Index
        Next

ConsoleWrite("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE Index = '" & $s_nicIndex & "'" & @CRLF)
        $colNAC = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE Index = '" & $s_nicIndex & "'", "WQL")

If IsObj($colNAC) Then
            For $objNetCard In $colNAC
                If $METRIC <> $objNetCard.IPConnectionMetric Then
                    ConsoleWrite("Metric was set to " & $objNetCard.IPConnectionMetric & ". Setting to " & $METRIC & "." & @CRLF)
                    $s_isSet = $objNetCard.SetIPConnectionMetric($METRIC)
                    ConsoleWrite("SetIPConnectionMetric Result = " & $s_isSet & @CRLF)
                Else
                    ConsoleWrite("Metric is already set to " & $METRIC & @CRLF)
                EndIf
            Next
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_SetNicInterfaceMetric2

#2 ·  Posted

A single bump, then, and then no more. I can make do with the PowerShell but I much prefer native AutoIT.

Anyone?

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Hi,

Why not simply use this command line?

RunWait('netsh interface ipv4 set interface "Ethernet 2" metric=2')

Edited by Neutro

#4 ·  Posted

Thanks, Neutro.

Yes, netsh works as well, but I was looking for an WMI solution. It seems that the WMI method is restricted in Windows 10.

#6 ·  Posted

Not absolutely. :)

I only wanted to make it work because it seems to work in older versions of Windows and I like to solve problems.

So it seems in Windows 10 this simply does not work with WMI.

I can deal with using PowerShell or netsh. I guess the end result is all that matters.

Thanks for the input!

#7 ·  Posted

Does this work for you? If yes, does "Ethernet 2" exist in the NetConnectionID list,  and does it have the correct Index number associated with it?

#RequireAdmin
;
Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)
;
Local $_objError = ObjEvent('AutoIt.Error', '_objErrorHandler')
;
_WMI_NetConnectionID()
If @error Then
    MsgBox(16, '', 'Object Error -> Line 15')
EndIf
Exit
;
Func _WMI_NetConnectionID()
    Local $objWMI = ObjGet('Winmgmts:{ImpersonationLevel=Impersonate,AuthenticationLevel=PktPrivacy,(Debug)}!\\.\root\cimv2')
    Local $objItems = $objWMI.ExecQuery('SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapter')
    If @error Or $objItems.Count = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1)
    EndIf
    ;
    Local $nIndex, $sNetConnectionID, $str = ''
    ;
    For $objItem In $objItems
        $nIndex = $objItem.Index
        $sNetConnectionID = $objItem.NetConnectionID
        ;
        If Not StringLen($sNetConnectionID) Then
            $sNetConnectionID = 'ID Not Found'
        EndIf
        $str &= 'Index #' & $nIndex & ' = ' & $sNetConnectionID & @CRLF
    Next
    MsgBox(0, 'Results', $str)
EndFunc
;
Func _objErrorHandler($_objError)
    $_objError.Clear
    Return SetError(1)
EndFunc
;

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• nikink
      By nikink
      Hi all,
      I have a bit of code that works on my old Win10 PC, that fails on my new Win10 PC, and I think the only significant difference is the version of Autoit - old PC has 3.3.12, new has 3.3.14.
      I couldn't find anything mentioned in the change logs though, so perhaps I'm wrong.
      Anyway, the code to replicate my issue is:
      Test('username', 'DOMAIN') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('localun', 'DOMAIN') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test(' ', ' ') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('', '') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('localun', '') ; THIS ERRORS: ;Test('', 'DOMAIN') Func Test($un, $dom) $compName = 'PCNAME' $FullName = '.' $Description = '.' ; get the WIM object $objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & $compName & "\root\cimv2") ; get default user full name and description $objAccount = $objWMIService.Get("Win32_UserAccount.Name='" & $un & "',Domain='" & $dom & "'") If IsObj($objAccount) Then $FullName = $objAccount.FullName $Description = $objAccount.Description EndIf ConsoleWrite($FullName & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite($Description & @CRLF) Return EndFunc  
      On my old PC this code will output just . and . for each of those line currently commented out. Which is fine.
      On my new PC any of those commented out lines of code cause an error, and the script won't even compile.
      $objAccount = $objWMIService.Get("Win32_UserAccount.Name='" & $un & "',Domain='" & $dom & "'") $objAccount = $objWMIService^ ERROR I'm very much a newb with the WMI stuff and objects, but it looks like the .Get property is failing when either $un or $dom aren't valid in v3.3.14, whereas in 3.3.12 the .Get would fail to return an object, which is then caught by the If statement.
      Am I on track with this? Is there some new/better way to code the example so that 3.3.14 will compile it?
    • BBs19
      By BBs19
      Features:
      Create modern looking borderless and resizable GUIs with control buttons (Close,Maximize/Restore,Minimize, Fullscreen, Menu) True borderless, resizeable GUI with full support for aerosnap etc. Many color schemes/themes included. See MetroThemes.au3 for more details. 3 type of Windows 8/10 style buttons. Modern checkboxes, radios, toggles and progressbar. All buttons, checkboxes etc. have hover effects! Windows 10 style modern MsgBox. Windows 10/Android style menu that slides in from left. Windows 10 style right click menu  
      Credits: @UEZ, for the function to create buttons with text using GDIPlus. @binhnx for his SSCtrlHover UDF

Changelog:
      Download UDF with example:

• keelaji
      By keelaji
      Hello,
      first of all i searched in the forum but i didn't found any solution to my problem.
      I am using windows 10.
      I made a script that is supposed to change the title to the active window, resize it to the smallest size possible (should be around 800 x 600) and move to (0, 0).
      I can change the title but i fail to do the other 2 tasks.
      i use wingettitle [active] copied from the F1 help tool (and this works), i i put the title in a variable and than i use
      winsettitle ($variable, "one") (this works too)
      winmove ("one", 0, 0, 800, 600) (doesn't do anything)
      i also tried
      local $x = winget ( "one")
      msgbox (0, "", $x) (i get a completely white box so i suppose winget can't have any data about my window ??)
      any suggestion ?
    • ModemJunki
      By ModemJunki
      Edit: I found out from looking into the post from coffeeturtle that not all motherboards support WMI temperature reading. You have to explore the WMI namespaces for your system!
      I (stupidly) fried a computer. It was an old Zotac small form factor device that was junked at work, so I turned it into a home theater PC.
      But I had put it in my "audio rack", which has glass doors and not very good ventilation. Normally I would open the doors while it was running and I use a media remote which would hibernate the system. At some point, it woke up by itself (probably Windows Update) and did not go to sleep again. Unfortunately this happened during the summer months while I was away on a small holiday and of course the glass doors were closed.
      When I finally noticed the system was on, it was super hot and the fan was at full blast. Dead. No POST, no green light on the mainboard even with a new power supply, old mechanical laptop hard drive gives errors when connected to another device. My next home project will be to make some appropriate ventilation in the audio cabinet.
      For the replacement I bought a used HP ultra small form factor machine and decided to start working on an app to monitor the ambient temperature sensor on the motherboard and shutdown the system if needed. I used some code for smooth label updates from here (needed updating to work with latest AutoIT) and temperature conversion from here (not really needed, only if you want temperatures in something other than C).
      Maybe I will work on this some more and make it configurable with an .INI file or even storing the settings in registry, but since I probably won't I thought I'd put it up as an example of what a non-expert can do with an afternoon of coding and ideas from the community here.
      This uses an ambient temperature sensor populated on HP machines in HP-specific WMI extensions but the WMI query can easily be changed to any available sensor including CPU or GPU.
      The watchdog monitors temperature, warns with S.O.S beeping if the set point is exceeded, and either shuts down if a timeout is reached while the temperatures are high or goes back to monitoring if the temperature goes lower then the set point, and logs events to the Windows application event logs.
      The GUI it puts up is very small at the top center of the screen (very small on a 4k display anyway).
      #requireadmin because of the WMI query.
      A timer for the WMI query because of prior experience using similar functions in WinPE to get model infos from HP WMI bios extensions.
      If you play around with this, please post your fixes/improvements/changes back to this thread.
      Have fun!
      Edit: Updated to show "Unable to query temperature" if the WMI query returns a null
      #AutoIt3Wrapper_Icon=temperature-2-multi-size.ico #RequireAdmin #NoTrayIcon #include <Temperature.au3> #include <FFLabels.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> Global $winLogger = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcreate.exe" ; application to use for event logging Global $MessageSource = "HP TempMon" Global $width = 185 Global $height = 15 Global $FontSize = 8 Global $FontFamily = 'Microsoft Sans Serif' Global $normClr = 0xFF000000 Global $warnClr = 0xFF0000 Global $WMInameSpace = "HP_BIOSNumericSensor" ;~ Global $WMIReadSensor = "Chassis Thermal Index" ; HP 8300 Global $WMIReadSensor = "System Ambient Temperature" ; HP Z400 Global $warnTmp = 46.1111111111 ; degrees C ;~ Global $warnTmp = 24 ; degrees C for testing Global $ovrtmpTime = 5 ; in minutes Global $hGUI = GUICreate("Board Temperature", $width, $height, -1, 0, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP), BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)) Global $lb1 = _GUICtrlFFLabel_Create($hGUI, "", -1, -1, $width, $height, 8, -1, 0, 1, $normClr) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) _TempSenseLoop() Func _TempSenseLoop() While 1 Sleep(250) $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($hGUI) Return Case Else $s_ambTempC = _doQueryHPNumSens(5, $WMInameSpace, $WMIReadSensor, "100") ; + 100 Select Case $s_ambTempC = "" _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $normClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Unable to query temperature") Case $s_ambTempC < $warnTmp _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $normClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTempC & "C" & "/" & Round(_CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTempC), 0) & "F") Case Else _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetTextColor($lb1, $warnClr) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTempC & "C" & "/" & Round(_CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTempC), 0) & "F") _doLog("System ambient temperature has exceeded " & $warnTmp & "C.", "WARN", $MessageSource) _AlarmMonitor($ovrtmpTime, $warnTmp) EndSelect EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc ;==>_TempSenseLoop Func _AlarmMonitor($min, $tmp) Local $Shutdown = 1 Local $s_ambTemp Local $freq = 3500 Local $shrt = 200 Local $long = 500 Local $timer = TimerInit() Local $wait = 1000 * ($min * 60) While TimerDiff($timer) < $wait $s_ambTemp = _doQueryHPNumSens(5, $WMInameSpace, $WMIReadSensor, "100") ; + 100 If $s_ambTemp >= $tmp Then _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "WARNING! OVERTEMP!") Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Sleep(250) Beep($freq, $long) Beep($freq, $long) Beep($freq, $long) Sleep(250) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) Beep($freq, $shrt) _GUICtrlFFLabel_SetData($lb1, "Board temperature: " & $s_ambTemp & "C" & "/" & _CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTemp) & "F") Sleep(2000) ElseIf $s_ambTemp < $tmp Then $Shutdown = 0 ExitLoop EndIf WEnd If $Shutdown = 1 Then _doLog("The system is shutting down due to overtemperature conditions. The temperature at the time of shutdown was " & $s_ambTemp & "C" & "/" & _CelsiusToFahrenheit($s_ambTemp) & "F", "ERRR", $MessageSource) Shutdown(24) ElseIf $Shutdown = 0 Then _doLog("System ambient temperature has been reduced below " & $warnTmp & "C.", "INFO", $MessageSource) EndIf EndFunc ;==>_AlarmMonitor Func _doQueryHPNumSens($min, $class, $name, $sleep) ; $sleep = milliseconds Local $s_tempReading = "" Local $s_HPBiosWMIService = "winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\Root\HP\InstrumentedBIOS" Local $objHPBiosWMIService = ObjGet($s_HPBiosWMIService) Local $s_biosQuery = $objHPBiosWMIService.ExecQuery("select * from " & $class & " where Name='" & $name & "'") $timer = TimerInit() ; we may need to wait for the HP WMI extensions to enumerate in WMI, in WinPE this takes some minutes. $wait = 1000 * ($min * 60) If Not IsObj($s_biosQuery) Then ; we do need to wait, put up a splash screen $s_WMISplash = 1 SplashTextOn("WMI", "Probing WMI (up to 10 minutes)...", 300, 50, -1, -1, 1) Sleep(1000) While TimerDiff($timer) < $wait Sleep(500) $objHPBiosWMIService = ObjGet($s_HPBiosWMIService) If IsObj($objHPBiosWMIService) Then Sleep(500) $colProdName = $s_biosQuery If IsObj($colProdName) Then For $oItem In $colProdName $s_tempReading = $oItem.CurrentReading Next EndIf EndIf WEnd ElseIf IsObj($s_biosQuery) Then ConsoleWrite($s_biosQuery & @CRLF) For $oItem In $s_biosQuery $s_tempReading = $oItem.CurrentReading Next Else $s_tempReading = 0 EndIf Sleep($sleep) Return $s_tempReading EndFunc ;==>_doQueryHPNumSens Func _doLog($message, $type, $msgsrc) Select Case $type = "INFO" $logTyp = "INFORMATION" Case $type = "WARN" $logTyp = "WARNING" Case $type = "ERRR" $logTyp = "ERROR" EndSelect If FileExists($winLogger) Then RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & $winLogger & " /L Application /T " & $logTyp & " /SO " & Chr(34) & $msgsrc & Chr(34) & " /ID 1000 /D " & Chr(34) & $message & Chr(34), "", @SW_HIDE) EndIf EndFunc ;==>_doLog  

Temperature.au3
      FFLabels.au3
      HP_Temp.au3
    • spuuunit
      By spuuunit
      I have a script that autostart with Windows, and sometimes some of my code is skipped. My script takes long pauses, so it's not that the script "goes too fast". This is my script for now:
      TraySetIcon("C:\Portables\AutoIt\_\icon.ico") AutoItSetOption("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) Run("C:\Portables\Key Manager\keymanager.exe") WinActivate("ATNSOFT Key Manager v") WinWaitActive("ATNSOFT Key Manager v") WinMove("ATNSOFT Key Manager v", "", 650, 200, 600, 800) Sleep(500) $pos = MouseGetPos() MouseClick("left", 1220, 210, 1, 100) MouseMove($pos[0], $pos[1], 100) Run("C:\Portables\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe") $version = 298 For $i = 0 To 99 Step 1 $path = "C:\Users\spunit\AppData\Local\Discord\app-0.0." & $version + $i & "\Discord.exe" If FileExists($path) Then Run($path) ExitLoop EndIf Next Run("C:\Portables\Firefox\FirefoxPortable.exe") Sleep(10000) WinMove("- Mozilla Firefox", "", 205, 0, 1214, 1047) Sleep(100) MouseClick("left", 1300, 15, 1, 10) Sleep(100) MouseClick("left", 1130, 275, 1, 10) Sleep(100) MouseClick("left", 930, 105, 1, 10) Sleep(100) Send("#{m}") Sometimes it skips to click and move mouse right after Key Manager starts. Almost always it skips everything after the last run.

This type of script were never an issue with Windows 7... Any thoughts?