AnonymousX

[Solved] Scripts opening in editor instead of running

So I just got a new computer, and instantly went and installed Autoit onto it. I selected run script as default action when clicking on an au3 file, however every time I do this it opens the script in the editor. I can from there run the script no problem.

I've tried reinstalling and checking the settings by hitting "Ctrl+1" and have confirmed it is set to run, but yet it just continues to open in the editor.

Any ideas why this is happening or how to solve?

New system is windows 10, old was windows 7

Edited by AnonymousX

This means you have changed the default as the AutoIt3 installer will use Run() as default.
Did you also install SciTE4AutoIt3?

If so: run SciTEConfig and select option Other tools/Run AutoIt3/SciTE check. The top part of the output will tell you whether you have still a standard install setting in the registry or if you have modified that. Can you post that information here so I can have a look?

Jos

Edited by Jos

@Jos

All I did was go to:

https://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

download Autoit and download the editor. It had checked off the default of run not open editor but still always opens it rather than runs.

For good measure I tried uninstalling and reinstalling one more time but got the same results.

******************************************************************************************************************************************
!*  Found always open with Win7    :Applications\SciTE.exe
!*  Fixed by removing Registry key : "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\Userchoice"
* HKCR\.au3 Default       :AutoIt3Script
* HKCR\.au3 ShellNew      :C:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW\Template.au3 (File Exists)
******************************************************************************************************************************************
* Explorer shell options:
* HKCR\AutoIt3Script\shell: 
*  => Default Action:Run
*     Compile                => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe" /in "%l"
*     Compile with Options   => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /ShowGui /in "%l"
*     CompileX64             => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe_x64.exe" /in "%l"
*     CompileX86             => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe" /in "%l"
*     Edit                   => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"
*     Open                   => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"
*     Run                    => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe" "%1" %*
*     RunX64                 => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt3_x64.exe" "%1" %*
*     RunX86                 => Command:"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe" "%1" %*
* User SciTE info:
*    SCITE_USERHOME:C:\Users\anom\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE: 
*    Directory missing: C:\Users\anom\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\SciTE Jump
*    SciTEUSer.Properties: 
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

import au3.UserUdfs
import au3.keywords.user.abbreviations

@Jos

Okay so I went into the editor hit "ctrl+1" then tried switching it over to edit instead of run. Restarted computer. 

So then it said edit, switched it back to run, and restarted again and it seems to be working properly now!

I don't know why that happened but everything is good. 

As you can see in the output from SciTEConfig: There was a manual "Always Open with" done one time on this computer, so it will indeed give the issue you describe as swapping between Run/Open doesn't do anything when this is the case. The Output does suggest the fix as well and to remove the described registry key.

Jos 

@Jos

The issue came back so I'm guessing I need to do as you mentioned and removed the registry key. How is the best way to do this?

Run an Autoit script:

RegDelete("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\Userchoice")

?

*edit* It didn't so much come back rather I fixed it for 1 particular file and noticed when opening a second file it was back to opening rather then running.

Edited by AnonymousX

You could simply open the regedit and do it manually. I didn't want to do it in the script but merely indicate what the issue is.

Jos