Sign in to follow this  
timmy2

Seeking clarity re methods for handling GUI Controls

I have the impression that the traditional method for processing responses to a GUI is to assign variables to each GUICreateButton (or Pic) and then use Switch/Case/Endswitch to detect when any Control is clicked.  In the tutorials I've seen about Koda it appears to use this method, too.

While 1
    Global $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Pic2
            Call("verizon")
        Case $Pic3
            Call("skype")
        Case $PicExit
            Exit
    EndSwitch
WEnd

But in a few examples I've seen a script use a different method. The script always includes the following option near the top:

Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1)

...and then, later, after creating each Control for the GUI, there's the function, GUICtrlSetOnEvent.  In these cases a very simple While/WEnd loop is used to wait for the user to respond. 

I happened to employ this second method in a recent script where I used "canned" controls (checkbox and buttons). Later in the same script I used the GuiCreatePic and Switch/Case/EndSwitch method because my GUI was all custom images. (I'm not sure if that's necessary, but it's what I've deduced.) The second GUI failed to respond to any mouse clicks, but eventually I figured out the cause was the GUIOnEvenMode being enabled at the top of the script.

This is when I realized I don't understand the reasoning behind choosing between these two methods. And I'm having no luck phrasing an appropriate search criterion. Is there an overview somewhere that explains the two methods and -- most importantly -- describes when each is appropriate?

I guess your search didn't include the HELP file.  It even goes so far as to suggest when one would be better than the other.

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/guiref/GUIRef.htm

Edited by TheXman

Thank you for pointing the way, though you guessed wrong. I did indeed search the HELP file but in my case the results were a haystack. I should've been more persistent and at least looked at every occurrence of "GUI Reference..."

5bfd9cce8ba73_Helpfileresults.JPG.6608d18f56acc4dbce2554a1b523938a.JPG

2 minutes ago, timmy2 said:

I did indeed search the HELP file but in my case the results were a haystack.

Not really when you simply use the TOC, select GUI Reference and then GUI Concept. ;)

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

1 hour ago, timmy2 said:

This is when I realized I don't understand the reasoning behind choosing between these two methods. And I'm having no luck phrasing an appropriate search criterion. Is there an overview somewhere that explains the two methods and -- most importantly -- describes when each is appropriate?

Your question was about event modes not controls.  Why would you search for GUI create when you want to know about GUI event modes. 

image.png.fee5b6481422d90c530af405d55aeb13.png

1 hour ago, TheXman said:

Your question was about event modes not controls.  Why would you search for GUI create when you want to know about GUI event modes. 

How right you are, @TheXman, if only I had started out knowing the subject is "event modes" instead of "controls". People like me should not be allowed to ask questions until they know such everyday terminology.

GUICreate was the first function that both methods have in common, and when one is grasping for a term to start with it was reasonable if futile starting point.

1 hour ago, Jos said:

Not really when you simply use the TOC, select GUI Reference and then GUI Concept. ;)

Jos

@jos, in this case the TOC would have been the best entry point. Not to excuse myself, but I'm just so accustomed to searching the forums and the HELP Index,  then following the breadcrumbs. This lesson learned. (in which case I always ask myself, "How many more are there?" :>)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By VeeDub
      Hello,
      I'm trying to write a script to allow pause / resume of Dropbox syncing; so that Dropbox syncing can be scheduled.
      So the idea is that the script will emulate what a user would normally do by clicking on Dropbox on the System Tray and then the script will toggle the sync operation
      If Dropbox currently syncing, will pause If syncing currently paused, will resume I'm writing this script for Windows 10
      I am able to open Dropbox from the System Tray, but I can't figure out how to enumerate the controls. 
      I would have been happy with the "simple" approach of using the Autoit Window Info tool to manually identify the values for the control. But unfortunately as soon as I click on the Finder Tool the Dropbox window closes.
      I then tried enumerating the controls with my script.
      I have experimented with a couple of scripts that others have shared, which while they don't error; don't return any values for the Controls.
      So at the moment I'm stuck and I'm after some ideas
      Is there a way to use a Windows Viewer tool with an app like Dropbox that doesn't remain visible?  (I had a quick look but could not find a solution) If I need to enumerate the controls myself, here is my current script. I'm using _EnumChildWindows from here #include <Array.au3> #include <GuiToolBar.au3> #include <_EnumChildWindows.au3> Local $hSysTray_Handle Local $hWnd="",$hControl=0,$sTitle=0,$sClass=0,$aEnumList Local $hNumber1Button=-1,$hNumber4Button=-1,$hPlusButton=-1,$hEqualButton=-1 $sSearchtext='Dropbox' $iButton=Get_SysTray_IconText($sSearchtext) _GUICtrlToolbar_ClickButton($hSysTray_Handle, $iButton, "left", False, 1) ; MsgBox (64,'Searched Button','Button: '&$iButton&@CRLF&'Instance: '&@extended) If WinActivate($hSysTray_Handle, "") Then ; MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Dropbox Window activated") ; Check Dropbox status - Either: ; 'Up to date' (i.e. syncing) ; 'Syncing paused' (paused) $hWnd = $hSysTray_Handle ; Important to wait for the window to fully 'create' itself before getting child windows! ; Note that other processes that become activated somewhere between WinWait and this will cause WinWaitActive() to wait for manual activation ;WinWaitActive($hWnd) ; bad idea in busy environment Sleep(3000) WinActivate($hWnd) ; this seems to be a better alternative, the window seems fully created after this is called in my tests ; Parameters to function ;$hControl=HWnd(0x########) ;$sTitle="^(\d|\+|=)$" ; PCRE - gets controls with numbers, + or = sign only (problem: no instance #'s!) ;$sClass="Button" $aEnumList=_EnumChildWindows($hWnd,$hControl,$sTitle,$sClass) ;,2) for RegExp Title If @Error Then Exit ; Find specific items [Certain versions of Calc won't return any text] For $i=1 to $aEnumList[0][0] Switch $aEnumList[$i][4] Case "1" $hNumber1Button=$aEnumList[$i][0] ConsoleWrite("'1' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][3]&"]"&@CRLF) Case "4" $hNumber4Button=$aEnumList[$i][0] ConsoleWrite("'4' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][3]&"]"&@CRLF) Case "+" $hPlusButton=$aEnumList[$i][0] ConsoleWrite("'+' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][3]&"]"&@CRLF) Case "=" $hEqualButton=$aEnumList[$i][0] ConsoleWrite("'=' Advanced Mode Name (in current state): [CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:"&$aEnumList[$i][3]&"]"&@CRLF) EndSwitch Next ; Add Headers $aEnumList[0][0]="Handle" $aEnumList[0][1]="Classname" $aEnumList[0][2]="Control ID" $aEnumList[0][3]="Iteration" $aEnumList[0][4]="Title/Text" ; Bring the window forward WinActivate($hWnd) ; Perform a simple calculation to show interaction If $hNumber1Button<>-1 Then ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber1Button,"primary",3) ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber4Button) Sleep(1000) ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hPlusButton) Sleep(1000) ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hNumber4Button,"primary",2) ; double click, but that's fine Sleep(1000) ControlClick($hWnd,"",$hEqualButton) EndIf ; And Display ALL Enumerated Windows _ArrayDisplay($aEnumList,"Enumerated controls for App") Else MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL + $MB_ICONERROR, "Error", "Dropbox Window not activated") EndIf Func Get_SysTray_IconText($sSearch) For $i = 1 To 99 ; Find systray handles $hSysTray_Handle = ControlGetHandle('[Class:Shell_TrayWnd]', '', '[Class:ToolbarWindow32;Instance:' & $i & ']') ; ConsoleWrite ("Handle: " & $hSysTray_Handle & @CRLF) If @error Then ;MsgBox(16, "Error", "System tray not found") ExitLoop EndIf ; Get systray item count Local $iSysTray_ButCount = _GUICtrlToolbar_ButtonCount($hSysTray_Handle) ConsoleWrite("iSysTray_ButCount: " & $iSysTray_ButCount & @CRLF ) If $iSysTray_ButCount = 0 Then ;MsgBox(16, "Error", "No items found in system tray") ContinueLoop EndIf Local $aSysTray_ButtonText[$iSysTray_ButCount] ; Look for wanted tooltip For $iSysTray_ButtonNumber = 0 To $iSysTray_ButCount - 1 ConsoleWrite("iSysTray_ButtonNumber: " & $iSysTray_ButtonNumber & " Button_Text: " & _GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hSysTray_Handle, $iSysTray_ButtonNumber) & @CRLF ) If $sSearch= StringLeft(_GUICtrlToolbar_GetButtonText($hSysTray_Handle, $iSysTray_ButtonNumber),StringLen($sSearch)) Then ConsoleWrite("Button Text: " & $sSearch & " Handle: " & $hSysTray_Handle & " Button Number: " & $iSysTray_ButtonNumber & @CRLF) Return SetError(0, $i, $iSysTray_ButtonNumber) EndIf Next Next Return SetError(1, -1, -1) EndFunc ;==>Get_SysTray_IconText Thanks,
      VW 
    • By nacerbaaziz
      hello sirs, i've created a tool to the blind users, this tool helps the blind to listen to a audio effect when moving between the GUIs controls on they computers
      where this tool can get the class for the current focus control and play a sound from a folder
      i've added all the knowne classes, but i found some problems i hope any one can help me.
      this is the code that i created

#include <WinAPISys.au3> Global $h_CurrentHWNDFocus = "", $h_CurrentControlHWNDFocus = "" AdlibRegister("WindowAudioFocus", 50) Func WindowAudioFocus()     Local $h_NewHWNDFocus = WinGetHandle("[active]", "")     Local $h_NewControlHWNDFocus = ControlGetFocus($h_NewHWNDFocus, "")     If ($h_NewHWNDFocus = $h_CurrentHWNDFocus) And ($h_NewControlHWNDFocus = $h_CurrentControlHWNDFocus) Then Return 0     AdlibUnRegister("WindowAudioFocus")     If Not ($h_NewHWNDFocus = $h_CurrentHWNDFocus) Then         SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\WindowChanged.wav")     Else         Switch _WinAPI_GetClassName(ControlGetHandle($h_NewHWNDFocus, "", $h_NewControlHWNDFocus))             Case "Button", "Start", "TrayButton", "TrayShowDesktopButtonWClass", "sbutton", "CirrussButton", "ODbcButton", "ThunderRTCommandButton", "ThunderSSOption", "ThunderSSCommand", "ThunderCommandButton", "ThunderRT6CommandButton", "ThunderRT5CommandButton", "TButton", "TBitBtn", "TAdvGlowButton", "ButtonWndClass", "afx:0:376:baa946", "_AOL_Button"                 If _IsCheckBox(ControlGetHandle($h_NewHWNDFocus, "", $h_NewControlHWNDFocus)) Then                     SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\checkBox.wav")                 ElseIf _IsRadio(ControlGetHandle($h_NewHWNDFocus, "", $h_NewControlHWNDFocus)) Then                     SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\radio.wav")                 Else                     SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\button.wav")                 EndIf             Case "ComboBox", "ComboBoxEx32", "MSOBALLOONREComboBox20W", "REComboBox20W", "ThunderComboBox", "ThunderDriveListBox", "ThunderRT6ComboBox", "TORComboEdit", "TCombobox", "TComboBoxEx", "TORComboBox", "TColorBox", "TNFComboBox", "Internet Explorer_TridentCmbobx", "ComboWndClass", "_AOL_ComboBox", "ThunderRT5ComboBox", "ComboLBox"                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\list.wav")             Case "Edit", "SearchBox", "TChatRichEdit", "_WwN", "_WwO", "RichEdit20A", "RichEdit20WPT", "RICHEDIT60W", "OKttbx", "RichEditA", "ThunderTextBox", "ThunderRT6TextBox", "ThunderRT5TextBox", "TEdit", "TRichEdit", "TRichEditViewer", "TMemo", "TInplaceEditList", "TLabeledEdit", "TMaskEdit", "TDateTimePicker", "TRichEdit", "TCaptionMemo", "TAddictRichEdit", "TCaptionEdit", "RichTextWndClass", "TextWndClass", "PasswordWndClass", "TextAreaWndClass", "MSWorksDoc", "_AOL_Edit", "SysDateTimePick32"                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\edit.wav")             Case "ListBox", "ComboLBox", "REListBox20W", "SUPERGRID", "OUTEXVLB", "WMSUIVLB", "SchdmapiVLB", "VLBClass", "ThunderDirListBox", "ThunderFileListBox", "ThunderListBox", "ThunderRT6ListBox", "ThunderRT5ListBox", "TListbox", "TValueListEditor", "TORCalendar", "TColorListBox", "TCheckListBox", "Internet Explorer_TridentLstBox", "ListBoxWndClass", "ListWndClass", "hh_kwd_vlist", "afx:8:376:0:946", "_AOL_ListBox", "_AOL_Tree", ""                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\List.wav")             Case "SysListView32", "OpenListView", "wuDuiListView", "ListView20WndClass", "TcxGridSite", "TListView", "TSystemListView", "ListViewWndClass", ""                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\ListView.wav")             Case "SysTreeView32", "SearchTreeList", "FeatureTree", "TreeView20WndClass", "TSystemTreeView", "TTreeView", ""                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\TreeView.wav")             Case Else                 SoundPlay(@ScriptDir & "\focus_Audio\focus.wav")         EndSwitch     EndIf     $h_CurrentHWNDFocus = $h_NewHWNDFocus     $h_CurrentControlHWNDFocus = $h_NewControlHWNDFocus     AdlibRegister("WindowAudioFocus", 50)     Return 1 EndFunc   ;==>WindowAudioFocus Func _IsCheckBox($ctrl_hwnd)     $Style = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($ctrl_hwnd, $GWL_STYLE)     Return BitAND($Style, $BS_CHECKBOX) = $BS_CHECKBOX EndFunc   ;==>_IsCheckBox Func _IsRadio($ctrl_hwnd)     $Style = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($ctrl_hwnd, $GWL_STYLE)     Return BitAND($Style, $BS_AUTORADIOBUTTON) = $BS_AUTORADIOBUTTON EndFunc   ;==>_IsRadio
      what i need from you is :
      play a sound when a menu item focus, that sound named menu.wav
      play a sound named items.wav when the users move on list box items or list view or treeview items or a combobox items
      please if can any one help me i'll very happy
      thanks on advance
    • By Skysnake
      I don't often have occasion to use Child GUIs.  I find the multitude of options confusing.
      The example below I made for my own purposes, to have a visual guide to what the various Style and Extended Style options lead to.
      Comments are much appreciated.  This can be extended with many more examples and comments and why certain Styles are to preferred or avoided.  Where certain types of Child GUIs are most suitable etc.

The code is very basic.  It is intended to show GUI Styles, not much else.
      ;~ ******************************************************************** ;~ Author: Skysnake ;~ ;~ Title: Demo various Child Gui options ;~ Updated: 2019.01.03 ;~ ;~ Function: A demo script, demonstrates various style & Extended ;~ style options for Child GUIs ;~ Comments, ideas and suggestions very welcome :) ;~ ;~ ******************************************************************** #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <ColorConstants.au3> #include <Constants.au3> #include <WinAPI.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> ShowChildGuis() Func ShowChildGuis() Local $guiParent = GUICreate("The Parent GUI", 1200, 700, 0, 0) ;WHLT $idFilemenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu(" &Menu") $ButtonCancel = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Close", 0, 0, 80, 25) GUICtrlSetTip($ButtonCancel, "Click to close all") $ButtonShowChildGui = GUICtrlCreateButton("&Show", 0, 25, 80, 25) GUICtrlSetTip($ButtonShowChildGui, "Click to show a child GUI") ;~ #comments-start --- Toggle this and same code below to show context menu for parent or child Local $idContextmenu = GUICtrlCreateContextMenu() Local $idNewsubmenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("This is a Context Menu", $idContextmenu) Local $idNewsubmenuText = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("text", $idNewsubmenu) Local $idContextButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Context", 0, 50, 80, 25) GUICtrlSetTip($idContextButton, "Right Click to see Context Menu") Local $idButtoncontext = GUICtrlCreateContextMenu($idContextButton) Local $idMenuAbout = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("This is a Context Menu", $idButtoncontext) Local $idMenuOpen = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Open", $idContextmenu) Local $idMenuSave = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Save", $idContextmenu) GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $idContextmenu) ; separator Local $idMenuInfo = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Info", $idContextmenu) ;~ #comments-end --- Toggle this and same code below to show context menu for parent or child Local $DefaultChildGui = GUICreate("Default child gui", 300, 100, 300, 300, Default, Default, $guiParent) ;;;WHLT GUICtrlCreateLabel("Default attributes" & @CRLF & "Cannot move; cannot resize", 0, 0, 500, 200) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_aqua) $iStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong(GUICtrlGetHandle($DefaultChildGui), $GWL_STYLE) $iExStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong(GUICtrlGetHandle($DefaultChildGui), $GWL_EXSTYLE) GUISetStyle(BitOR($iStyle, $WS_VISIBLE), $iExStyle, $DefaultChildGui) Local $gChildGuiwithMenu = GUICreate("A child gui with menu", 300, 100, 50, 100, $WS_VISIBLE, BitOR($WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $WS_THICKFRAME), $guiParent) ;;;WHLT GUICtrlCreateLabel("Menu" & @CRLF & "Can move; cannot resize", 0, 0, 500, 200) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_skyblue) $idFilemenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu(" &File ") Local $idFileMenuItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("An item for the File menu ", $idFilemenu) GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $idFilemenu) ; create a separator line ; use same dimensions for GUI and its Label Local $iSizeWide = 300, $iSizeHi = 100 GUICreate("A child gui", $iSizeWide, $iSizeHi, 100, 200, $WS_VISIBLE, BitOR($WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE, $WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $WS_THICKFRAME), $guiParent) ;;;WHLT GUICtrlCreateLabel("Can move; cannot resize" & @CRLF & "Always on top", 0, 0, $iSizeWide, $iSizeHi) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_red) GUICreate("Child Gui Resizable", 300, 100, 200, 50, BitOR($WS_POPUP, $WS_SIZEBOX, $WS_CLIPCHILDREN, $WS_VISIBLE), $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $guiParent) ;;;WHLT GUICtrlCreateLabel("Popup Cannot move; can resize" & @CRLF & "Background", 0, 0, 500, 200) ; $WS_CHILD, GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_blue) ; toggle the line below :) ;$idBackgroundmenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu(" &Menu ") ; give it a menu GUICreate("Child GUI, caption, resize", 300, 100, 300, 100, BitOR($WS_VISIBLE, $WS_POPUP, $WS_CAPTION), BitOR($WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES), $guiParent) GUICtrlCreateLabel("Popup With Caption: Can move; cannot resize", 0, 0, 500, 200) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_yellow) GUICreate("Child GUI, abc", 300, 100, 400, 150, BitOR($WS_POPUP, $WS_VISIBLE, 0), $WS_EX_MDICHILD, $guiParent) GUICtrlCreateLabel("Popup Cannot move; cannot resize", 0, 0, 500, 200) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_green) ; Child GUI below has a control ............................. ............................................. Local $gChildWithControls = GUICreate("Child GUI with Buttons", 400, 400, 500, 200, BitOR($WS_CAPTION, $WS_CHILD), -1, $guiParent) GUISetFont(14, $gChildWithControls) Local $cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Can move; cannot resize", 0, 0, 400, 50) GUICtrlSetBkColor($cLabel, $COLOR_white) Local $idChild_ButtonOkay = GUICtrlCreateButton("Okay", 0, 50, 80, 30) Local $idChild_ButtonHide = GUICtrlCreateButton("Hide", 0, 80, 80, 30) GUICtrlSetTip($idChild_ButtonHide, "Click to hide this child GUI") ;~ #comments-start --- Toggle this and same code below to show context menu for parent or child ;~ Local $idContextmenu = GUICtrlCreateContextMenu() ;~ Local $idNewsubmenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu("This is a Context Menu", $idContextmenu) ;~ Local $idNewsubmenuText = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("text", $idNewsubmenu) ;~ Local $idContextButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Context", 0, 110, 80, 30) ;~ GUICtrlSetTip($idContextButton, "Right Click to see Context Menu") ;~ Local $idButtoncontext = GUICtrlCreateContextMenu($idContextButton) ;~ Local $idMenuAbout = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("This is a Context Menu", $idButtoncontext) ;~ Local $idMenuOpen = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Open", $idContextmenu) ;~ Local $idMenuSave = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Save", $idContextmenu) ;~ GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $idContextmenu) ; separator ;~ Local $idMenuInfo = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("Info", $idContextmenu) ;~ #comments-end --- Toggle this and same code below to show context menu for parent or child GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $gChildWithControls) ;.......................................................................................................... Local $gToolbar = GUICreate("A floating Tool Window", 300, 50, 100, 25, $WS_VISIBLE, $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $guiParent) GUICtrlCreateLabel("A floating toolbar", 0, 0, 500, 200) ; this does not show :) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, $COLOR_lime) ;~ $iStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong(GUICtrlGetHandle($gToolbar), $GWL_STYLE) ;~ $iExStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong(GUICtrlGetHandle($gToolbar), $GWL_EXSTYLE) ; BitOR($WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW, $WS_EX_MDICHILD) ;~ GUISetStyle(BitOR($iStyle, $WS_VISIBLE), $iExStyle, $gToolbar) $idToolmenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu(" &Tool ") Local $idToolMenuItem = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("An item for the Tool menu ", $idToolmenu) Local $idToolMenuItemsecond = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("A second item for the Tool menu ", $idToolmenu) GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $idToolmenu) ; create a separator line $idPrintmenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu(" &Print ") Local $idToolMenuItemPrint = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("A Print item for the Toolbar print menu ", $idPrintmenu) GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $idPrintmenu) ; create a separator line #Region --- After GUI BEFORE loop starts GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $guiParent) #EndRegion --- After GUI BEFORE loop starts While 1 ;Local $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch GUIGetMsg() ; $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $ButtonCancel GUIDelete($guiParent) ExitLoop Case $idContextButton MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Button Clicked", 'Right Click to see the Contect Menu') Case $ButtonShowChildGui GUISetState(@SW_ENABLE, $gChildWithControls) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $gChildWithControls) Case $idChild_ButtonHide ; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Child Gui Control Actioned in main loop ConsoleWrite("Yup, you clicked it" & @CRLF) GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $gChildWithControls) Case $idChild_ButtonOkay ; <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Child Gui Control Actioned in main loop ConsoleWrite("Yup, you clicked it" & @CRLF) MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Button Clicked", 'Okay') EndSwitch WEnd GUIDelete() EndFunc ;==>ShowChildGuis  

• By GregEisenberg
      Hi there 
      I am building a "statistics kiosk" where we will be enumerating through Web Pages, and Excel files, PDF reports and other applications each displaying statistics relevant to our project. I want to overlay some context over each page/screen so that viewers of this "statistics kiosk" have some info about that the data they are looking at is.  I have written a function called OverlayWindow which is supposed to create a transparent window which displays some text. The function SEEMS to work BUT 
      The handle returned from CreateGUI is 0 (despite there being NO error or extended information)  The window is created but not maintained.  In other words it appears but since it is not really maintained it is repainted as other content changes.  The result is that the overlay appears BUT as soon as there is a reason for the underlying windows to repaint the overlay starts to "disappear"  I have extracted the relevant code and created the most simplistic of samples here. 
      #include <FileConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <WinAPISysWin.au3> Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) ; Change to OnEvent mode ; #FUNCTION# ==================================================================================================================== ; Name ..........: OverlayWindow ; Description ...: Throws up a child window with transparent background over current window ; ; Parameters : ; $hwndParent parent hwnd ; $rectToHighlight rect to draw (or if null, skip) ; $rectForText rect for textToWrite ; $textToWrite the text to write ; =============================================================================================================================== Func OverlayWindow($hwndParent, $rectToHighlight, $rectForText, $textToWrite) $style = BitOR($WS_CHILD, $WS_CLIPCHILDREN, $WS_CLIPSIBLINGS) $exstyle = BitOR($WS_EX_TOPMOST, $WS_EX_COMPOSITED, $WS_EX_TRANSPARENT) $hGUI = GUICreate("transparent overlay", -1, -1, -1, -1, $style, $exstyle) ConsoleWrite("**** $hGUI: " & $hGUI & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("**** @error: " & @error & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("**** @extended: " & @extended & @CRLF) GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "OverlayWindow_Exit") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI) $hGraphics = _GDIPlus_GraphicsCreateFromHWND($hGUI) ConsoleWrite("**** $hGraphics : " & $hGraphics & @CRLF) _GDIPlus_GraphicsSetSmoothingMode($hGraphics, $GDIP_SMOOTHINGMODE_HIGHQUALITY) $hPen = _GDIPlus_PenCreate(0xFFFF0000, 4) ; Red If ($rectToHighlight <> Null) Then _GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawRect($hGraphics, $rectToHighlight[0], $rectToHighlight[1], $rectToHighlight[2], $rectToHighlight[3], $hPen) EndIf _GDIPlus_PenDispose($hPen) $hBrush = _GDIPlus_BrushCreateSolid(0xFFFF0000) ; RED $hFormat = _GDIPlus_StringFormatCreate() $hFamily = _GDIPlus_FontFamilyCreate("Arial") $hFont = _GDIPlus_FontCreate($hFamily, 14, 2) $tLayout = _GDIPlus_RectFCreate($rectForText[0], $rectForText[1], $rectForText[2], $rectForText[3]) $aInfo = _GDIPlus_GraphicsMeasureString($hGraphics, $textToWrite, $hFont, $tLayout, $hFormat) _GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawStringEx($hGraphics, $textToWrite, $hFont, $aInfo[0], $hFormat, $hBrush) _GDIPlus_BrushDispose($hBrush) _GDIPlus_StringFormatDispose($hFormat) _GDIPlus_FontFamilyDispose($hFamily) _GDIPlus_FontDispose($hFont) _GDIPlus_GraphicsDispose($hGraphics) Return $hGUI EndFunc Func OverlayWindow_Exit() ConsoleWrite("* * * Exit event called" & @CRLF) EndFunc Func Handle_Esc() $Done = True EndFunc ;----------------------------------------------------------------- ;Main() _GDIPlus_Startup() Global $Done = False Local $rect = [10, 10, 400, 400] Local $rectForText = [15, 15, 380, 380] $hGUI = OverlayWindow(Null, $rect, $rectForText, "This is a test with long text long text and should automatically wrap long text " & @CRLF & "and " & @CRLF & " handle " & @CRLF & "cariage returns and line feeds") HotKeySet ( "{Esc}", Handle_Esc) While Not $Done Sleep(100) WEnd GUIDelete($hGUI) _GDIPlus_Shutdown () Exit 0 I am assuming the since CreateGUI returns 0 that the  _GDIPlus_GraphicsCreateFromHWND is simply creating a "graphics context" based on the desktop then and not on my window.  And thus - there IS no window (despite no @error nor no @extended data) 
      So I think the issue is in the "styles" of window I am using.
      If I don't use WS_CHILD (for example I use WS_POPUP) then I get a handle back for my window and the lifetime of the window is what i want but it is not transparent as I want. Setting styles on the window to be transparent (either using extended styles, or using WinSetTrans or _WinAPI_SetBkMode) results in my rectangle and string being transparent - not what I want either. 

Any suggestions?

any and all help is appreciated
      Thanks! 

• By guinness
      #include <Array.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> ; Proof of concept for using the control id as an index item for an array. I created back on 8th April 2013. Example() Func Example() ; Create the GUI. Local $iHeight = 400, $iWidth = 400 Local $hGUI = GUICreate('', $iWidth, $iHeight) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI) ; Declare variables to be used throughout the example. Local Const $BUTTON_ROWS_COLUMNS = 8 Local Enum $eCTRL_HWND, $eCTRL_VALUE, $eCTRL_MAX Local $aMsg[1][$eCTRL_MAX], _ $iButtonHeight = $iHeight / $BUTTON_ROWS_COLUMNS, _ $iButtonWidth = $iWidth / $BUTTON_ROWS_COLUMNS, _ $iControlID = 0 For $i = 0 To $BUTTON_ROWS_COLUMNS - 1 For $j = 0 To $BUTTON_ROWS_COLUMNS - 1 $iControlID = GUICtrlCreateButton($i & ',' & $j, $i * $iButtonWidth, $j * $iButtonHeight, $iButtonWidth, $iButtonHeight, $BS_CENTER) ; Increase the size of the array if the control id is greater than or equal to the total size of the array. If $iControlID >= UBound($aMsg) Then ReDim $aMsg[Ceiling($iControlID * 1.3)][$eCTRL_MAX] EndIf ; Add to the array. $aMsg[$iControlID][$eCTRL_HWND] = GUICtrlGetHandle($iControlID) $aMsg[$iControlID][$eCTRL_VALUE] = 'Sample string for the control id: ' & $iControlID Next Next ; Clear empty items after the last created control id. ReDim $aMsg[$iControlID + 1][$eCTRL_MAX] ; Display the array created. _ArrayDisplay($aMsg) Local $iMsg = 0 While 1 $iMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $iMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ExitLoop Case $aMsg[$eCTRL_HWND][$eCTRL_HWND] To UBound($aMsg) ; If $iMsg is greater than 0 and between the 0th index of $aMsg and the last item then display in the console. If $iMsg > 0 Then ConsoleWrite('Control Hwnd: ' & $aMsg[$iMsg][$eCTRL_HWND] & ', ' & $aMsg[$iMsg][$eCTRL_VALUE] & @CRLF) EndIf EndSwitch WEnd GUIDelete($hGUI) EndFunc ;==>Example