How can I send a variable with a shortcut, to a autoit executable created app?

sosimple

Is this possible with autoit?

What I want to do:

Create a Desctop windows shortcut to run an executable application created with autoit, which shortcut would have some parameters which will send as a variable to the aplicagion .

For example:

Create an app : ExampleAppCreatedByAutoit.exe

Run this with a shortcut which has:  "C:/ExampleAppCreatedByAutoit.exe" -option1

What I want to do is the ExampleAppCreatedByAutoit.exe take the option1 and do something like this: Shellexecute("c:\myfolder\option1.exe")

Can I do that?

Thanks,

48 minutes ago, Subz said:

Look at $CmdLineRaw and $CmdLine in the Help File which explains how to handle switches.

Thanks but I am note sure if I can do it by this. I don't want one compiled with autoit executable app to send a variable to another. 

I want a simple shortcut to sent variable to autoit executable app..

I am not very good in autoit, so an example could help if this can be done, if anyone knows.

• Moderators

@sosimple did even you look at $CmdLine as was suggested? It does precisely what you are looking for, and has an example in the help file.

This forum is dedicated to helping people who want to improve their own scripts; it is not somewhere where you put in a request and someone barfs up the code for you. You need to show some effort if you would like assistance.

Edited by JLogan3o13

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Well I was bored and so wrote something simple up, to show you how you can create 3 shortcuts on the desktop named Option1, Option2 and Option3

Option1 Runs Notepad
Option2 Runs Wordpad
Option3 Delete the three shortcuts

You should be able to modify the code to suit, as JLogan3o13 mentioned the forum would like to see you write something first and we can give you help as required, but I have some spare time so have given you a working example.

Please remember read AutoIt Helpfile, it includes a large variety of examples you can test and base your own scripts on.

If FileExists(@DesktopDir & "\Option1.lnk") = 0 Then FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @DesktopDir & "\Option1.lnk", "", "-Option1")
If FileExists(@DesktopDir & "\Option2.lnk") = 0 Then FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @DesktopDir & "\Option2.lnk", "", "-Option2")
If FileExists(@DesktopDir & "\Option3.lnk") = 0 Then FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @DesktopDir & "\Option3.lnk", "", "-Option3")
If $CmdLine[0] >= 1 Then
    Switch $CmdLine[1]
        Case "-Option1"
            ShellExecute(@WindowsDir & "\Notepad.exe")
        Case "-Option2"
            ShellExecute("Wordpad.exe")
        Case "-Option3"
            FileDelete(@DesktopDir & "\Option1.lnk")
            FileDelete(@DesktopDir & "\Option2.lnk")
            FileDelete(@DesktopDir & "\Option3.lnk")
    EndSwitch
EndIf

Thank you very much Subs!. I will work on your code . I think I can made it from here.. :)

@JLogan3o13: Sorry, as I told, I haven't much experience in autoit.. I did search but didn't understand how to do it. 

I understand what you say, but please understand that some users don't have many experience..

Thanks again both!

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, sosimple said:

I understand what you say, but please understand that some users don't have many experience..

I do understand; everyone here was on "Day 1" at some point. The ones who succeed, however, are those that spend the time learning. That is why we operate on the "teach a man to fish" motto; simply being handed the code often does more harm than good for new scripters. Hopefully you will study the code and use it to learn more about the language. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!