Dropbox Travel Backup Helper

rudi

Hello,

the following script is running quite nicely for a friend of mine doing a year of work and travel to have a backup at home for all the pics and movies taken with her mobile phone,

The facts:

At home: a VMWARE virtual machine with dropbox installed for her DB account

On-the-Road: One mobile phone, Camera Uploads are activated for her dropbox account, one Laptop.

The idea is to have a copy of *ALL* pictures and movies taken with the mobile phone *OUTSIDE* the dropbox folder, so that the DB Max Size is never exceeded.

The script is running at home and doing this:

1. Copy all content from the "Camera Upload Folder" within the dropbox folder to some folder *OUTSIDE* the DB folder
  2. Move all content from the "Camera Upload Folder" do some other folder *INSIDE* the DB folder to indicate, that the backup copies at home were done successfully

Dropbox is also installed on the Laptop she has with her. So on the Laptop she checks from time to time the destination folder inside the dropbox folder and moves the pics / movies on the laptop to some other folder outside the dropbox as well. By that final step the images are moved out of the dropbox on the mobile phone as well, so that there is always space left to sync more pics / movies.

As moving pics / movies out of the dropbox folder on the laptop doesn't touch the copies in the mobile phone's "Gallery", she has all the pics / movies at all three locations:

1. Mobile Phone
  2. Laptop
  3. VM at home

The folder names propably are different for non-German localized Windows and Dropbox, just modify them to meet your localization.

DBox-Sync.au3

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds impressive. Thanks for sharing. :)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

An useful script indeed. It could greatly benefit by using file monitoring rather than check for new files every 10 minutes, this UDF by @Yashied makes it super easy to do :D

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion