Python Code

Skeletor

Go to solution Solved by Nisteo,

Seen as Python is becoming near to industry standard, I think there should also be a sub Topic for it, not under Misc. 

Anyways, does anyone recommend a similar Script Editor like AutoIt Script Editor.(Customised version of SciTE with lots of additional coding tools for AutoIt)   but for Python?

Kind Regards
Skeletor

"Coffee: my defense against going postal."

Microsoft Office Splash Screen | Basic Notepad Program (Beginner) | Transparent Splash Screen | Full Screen UI

Hi @Skeletor,

sub categories to enhance the forum will only added very rarly and have to be discussed with the Moderators. More information about this here (which was also a attempt to get a sub category for WebDriver stuff).

Besides that, a common used (industry standard) editor for Python is VSCode. Even a bit more specific for Python would by the editor PyCharm by Jetbrains. In case you're not working professionally with Python, I suggest VSCode which is powerful enough for Python development. If you working in a Python developer team, I guess PyCharm is the way to go (in my opionion).

Best regards
Sven

Edited by SOLVE-SMART

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

🎲 AutoIt (en) Cheat Sheet

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

💎 Code Katas: [...] (comming soon)

🎭 Collection of GitHub users with AutoIt projects

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

💬 Opinion about new forum sub category

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

👨‍🏫 WebDriver Tutorial (coming soon)

Hello @SOLVE-SMART,

Thanks for the suggestion, however PyCharm is paid software (I do see a Community edition) and VSCode does not have a GUI Editor like Koda.
Aside from this, PyCharm would be better to use because VSCOde has nothing installed by default.

Edited by Skeletor

Kind Regards
Skeletor

Microsoft Office Splash Screen | Basic Notepad Program (Beginner) | Transparent Splash Screen | Full Screen UI

14 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Aside from this, PyCharm would be better to use because VSCOde has nothing installed by default.

VSCode is based on extensions. Simple choose one, install and you're done.

14 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

[...] and VSCode does not have a GUI Editor like Koda [...]

I think you will not find any editor which provides a GUI Designer for Python out of the box. GUI development in Python isn't quite easy to be honest. You have to add several parts of the Python tool chain (even external ones) to achieve GUI building.

Best regards
Sven

Edited by SOLVE-SMART

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

🎲 AutoIt (en) Cheat Sheet

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

💎 Code Katas: [...] (comming soon)

🎭 Collection of GitHub users with AutoIt projects

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

💬 Opinion about new forum sub category

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

👨‍🏫 WebDriver Tutorial (coming soon)

I have always used PyCharm, which I've found to be great. I only use the community edition but also typically don't have very complex scrips.

I've also used VSCode or even Notepad++ with extensions with success. But like I said, my scripts are usually pretty simple.

Also have never seen an easy GUI designer for python. There are lots of examples for the various frameworks QT, wxPython, TKinter... but I have always given up whenever I have attempted to give it a shot.

@kurtykurtyboy , thank you for this. When it comes time to create GUI programs, I am horrible at laying it out through code, so a GUI editor helps many times to visually map it out.. the same with AutoIt. Koda has been phenomenal at getting the GUI part out my way so I can concentrate on the actual function of the program.

I have seen PyGuBu  , and what it can do, it has some meat in it so would be fine as a starting point.

Kind Regards
Skeletor

Also many people use Spyder.

My personnal preference are (as for nearly any langage) : Sublime Text and a good old console, anyway sometimes I may use VS Code (there's a quite good module for ipynb files and google colab support). But especially for python i really pref using a console for the sake of managing my envs :)

Edited by 636C65616E

According to a stackoverflow comment, someone claiming to be the Spyder maintainer stated 

There's no such facility in Spyder and we don't have plans to add it in the future, sorry.

Kind Regards
Skeletor

The thing about Console is, yes you are in control, however, does take a fair amount of time to design the layout (My opinion).

So to cut this laborious task and get tucked into the actual function of the program, a GUI Editor is best to use.

Kind Regards
Skeletor