_SplitMon:Window Mgmt Suite!

fisofo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestion:

I use 3 monitors...it would be nice if I could move a active window to another monitor...say by monitor ID (the numbers that are used to identify the monitors in display properties).

I have a setup like this: 2 | 1 | 3....if my active window is in 3, I'd liketo hit hotkey+2 to move the window to monitor 2

Another idea would be to look at the monitor that the active window is in and use something like hotkey+left arrow to move the active window to the monitor on the left.

Bear in mind that I have a 15-inch | 24-inch | 15-inch monit setup so resolutions will be different.

In the meantime, I've started to work on a script to do this using the code in the splitmon script as a start. See link here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...t=0#entry303714

Edited by sshrum

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

Wow, lots o' updates!

Guys, my current version does this in a "sorta" kind of way, and the code that i'm working on updating (v2.4) has much better monitor support. If you hit the windows key + left/right arrow or numpad4 or 6, the current window will move to the next monitor (and to half the screen on said monitor). This could easily be modified to just go to full screen, or perhaps some sort of "move" that takes into account the new monitor height/width and resizes the window accordingly.

Actually, the current code I have will give you all the monitor info you need, check out the MonitorInfo function (i've posted it elsewhere on the forum as well).

Anyway, it's a cool idea and should be easy to implement, I'll see about possibly adding it. Might take a day or two as work is busy with the release of Vista right now :whistle: Ahhh, the IT world.

One note for anyone using multiple monitors, you should seriously consider getting Ultramon. It's definitely worth the money and would do exactly what you're asking for, plus a lot more. Just having dedicated taskbars is a huge plus.

I'll post updates later when I have 'em.

...you should seriously consider getting Ultramon. ...

Where's the fun in that. :whistle:

If I can write a utility, even if one already existed commercially, I'd rather take the time to code it myself...I learn + I can tailor it the way I want.

Where's the fun in that. :whistle:

If I can write a utility, even if one already existed commercially, I'd rather take the time to code it myself...I learn + I can tailor it the way I want.

I agree... assuming you can write the utility. So in regards to some simple hotkeys, definitely let's write it. In reference to multiple monitor taskbars and a suite of functions that have already been tried and tested for a long time... forget it :)

I'm all for doing this script, but you should still check out Ultramon, it is incredibly nice if you have multiple monitors.

Version 2.4 has been released!

See first post. I'll hopefully have the stuff that's In-Progress finished up in the next week.

btw, check out the resizer video I linked, I personally find it quite entertaining :whistle:

Edited by fisofo

You need to change a line in your MonitorInfo function:

This: If $hm[0] <> 0 Then

To: if $hm[0] <> 0 AND DllStructGetData($mi, 3, 3) - DllStructGetData($mi, 3, 1) <> 0 Then

Enabled yes, available no.

I had 2 vid cards with 2 ports each...3 ports were enabled...I turned off one vid card...windows still reports 3 enabled. The missing output reports back 0w/0h

You need to change a line in your MonitorInfo function:

This: If $hm[0] <> 0 Then

To: if $hm[0] <> 0 AND DllStructGetData($mi, 3, 3) - DllStructGetData($mi, 3, 1) <> 0 Then

Enabled yes, available no.

I had 2 vid cards with 2 ports each...3 ports were enabled...I turned off one vid card...windows still reports 3 enabled. The missing output reports back 0w/0h

Interesting, nice catch. Hopefully that was the only problem... :whistle:

Hi fisofo,

Can't believe you keep adding new features to this utility. It's looking very polished now :-) . Looking forward to seeing the maximise feature in 2.5

Would you be able to add some kind of support for Laptop keywords that don't have a seperate numeric keypad. The cursor keys are easy to access (numeric 2,4,6,& 8) but numeric keys 0,1,3,5,7 & 9 are a pain in the a*!%.

If you could detect a 3 key combinations (e.g <WINDOWS><DOWN><LEFT> ) :whistle: maybe that could be used to create some of the missing keys.

<WINDOWS><DOWN><LEFT> = <WINDOWS><NUM1>

<WINDOWS><DOWN><RIGHT> = <WINDOWS><NUM3>

<WINDOWS><LEFT><UP> = <WINDOWS><NUM7>

<WINDOWS><RIGHT><UP> = <WINDOWS><NUM9>

If you catch my drift !!

My Scripts[topic="73325"]_ReverseDNS()[/topic]Favourite scripts by other members[topic="81687"]SNMP udf[/topic][topic="70759"]Using SNMP - MIB protocol[/topic][topic="39050"]_SplitMon:Section off your monitor!, split your monitor into sections for easy management[/topic][topic="73425"]ZIP.au3 UDF in pure AutoIt[/topic][topic="10534"]WMI ScriptOMatic tool for AutoIt[/topic][topic="51103"]Resources UDF embed/use any data/files into/from AutoIt compiled EXE files[/topic]

Hi fisofo,

Can't believe you keep adding new features to this utility. It's looking very polished now :-) . Looking forward to seeing the maximise feature in 2.5

Would you be able to add some kind of support for Laptop keywords that don't have a seperate numeric keypad. The cursor keys are easy to access (numeric 2,4,6,& 8) but numeric keys 0,1,3,5,7 & 9 are a pain in the a*!%.

If you could detect a 3 key combinations (e.g <WINDOWS><DOWN><LEFT> ) :whistle: maybe that could be used to create some of the missing keys.

<WINDOWS><DOWN><LEFT> = <WINDOWS><NUM1>

<WINDOWS><DOWN><RIGHT> = <WINDOWS><NUM3>

<WINDOWS><LEFT><UP> = <WINDOWS><NUM7>

<WINDOWS><RIGHT><UP> = <WINDOWS><NUM9>

If you catch my drift !!

Thank you! Like I said, this has been a fun project :)

Too funny on your idea, I had been trying to think of a solution to this exact problem for about a week or so, but hadn't thought of a good way around it yet. I like your idea, I'll see about adding it!

edit: sweet, I just thought of how I can do this... stay tuned!

Edited by fisofo

How did I ever live without this numpad window positioning!

My center primary monitor is 24-inches....this &$%^ing kicks ar$e now.

I luv this feature so much I added it to my relocate project. It was so easy to implement.

Great idea! This is a keyboard shortcut that should have shipped in Windows.

:whistle:

Hi fisofo,

Very nice work!

Did you consider putting together 'workplaces'? :)

I mean user defined windows with specific positions and programs in them?

Like, in the morning you want to write some letters and you load

workplace #1:

Word on the left, Internet Explorer in the upper right and Explorer in the lower right.

In the afternoon you want to update your to-do-list and you load:

workplace #2:

Excel on the left, E-mail client in the upper right corner and Explorer in the lower right,

In the evening you want to update your photo collection and you load:

workplace #3:

Picasa in the top half of the screen, Paint in the lower left corner and Explorer in the lower right.

Etc..

Of course the user can move the windows to other spots, change the programs within the workplace definition and then save the changed workplace.

The workplace list would be in a pop-up window triggered by hotkeys, with nice animated avi's to show the user what he is putting together.

It would be nice to have, I think.

I would surely use it, would you?

Edited by Details

Great idea! This is a keyboard shortcut that should have shipped in Windows.

Thanks man, and I'll be adding your functions to the official release soon as well... so thank you!

:whistle:

Hi fisofo,

Very nice work!

Did you consider putting together 'workplaces'? :lol:

The workplace list would be in a pop-up window triggered by hotkeys, with nice animated avi's to show the user what he is putting together.

It would be nice to have, I think.

I would surely use it, would you?

Interesting idea! I don't think it would really be that hard to add either... except for that bit about animated avi's :):)

I will definitely consider putting this in... perhaps for the version after the current one I'm working on.

A very nice program. It is a pity that I can't get it work properly with Windows Vista.

If you're looking for simple window repositioning in Vista, you can try my Relocate tool. Not as feature-rich as _SplitMon but it does what I want. Binary, code, and full writeup here: http://www.shrum.net/code/relocate

Note: Props to Fisofo for his _MonitorInfo() function.

If you're looking for simple window repositioning in Vista, you can try my Relocate tool. Not as feature-rich as _SplitMon but it does what I want. Binary, code, and full writeup here: http://www.shrum.net/code/relocate

Note: Props to Fisofo for his _MonitorInfo() function.

Hey Man... I didn't mind you borrowing some stuff to put in your code scrap, but what exactly are you trying to do here? Mine will be working in Vista as soon as I finish getting it installed... I've noted this several times in this topic.

and this:

A great idea but at the time no multiple monitor support.

...from your website is totally incorrect as I've had multi-monitor support from version 1.0. Have you looked at the feature list? Also check the "Future Ideas" section for an interesting multi-monitor enhancement I finished yesterday.

I thank you for the props for _MonitorInfo, but your grid positioning is basically the same as mine as well (albeit maybe not as good as you position twice to move a window, mine only once).

I'm starting to get the impression that you want to offer some competition to my program, when you gave the impression earlier that you wanted to help with the project that I started.

I'm doing my best to not get frustrated here, but then I see you also ask for donations on your website... now I'm just speechless.

edit: got my speech back for a moment... sshrum, why not just continue to assist me in developing this project (as others have done) rather than starting your own version that's basically the same as mine? You've been a member long enough that I would think you would know that that is how it is normally done (unless a project died at some point... which mine hasn't).

edit 2: I see on your website that you are also using the icon I had been using several versions ago for my code...

Edited by fisofo

I wondered if my message would be interpreted as a offer of genuine help versus the stab in the back you seem to have taken it as. This will be my only response to this issue as the always ensuing flame war (or any for that matter) is pointless. I don't mean to sound rude but there are some issues that need to be addressed.

First: I understand your almost parent-like attachment to your project but you have to lose the ego and understand that the vultures (other coders) will pick the sweet meat (functions and such) for their own chicks (projects). I give credit everywhere in my projects, documentation, and forum posts if I use another's code or idea as I feel I owe them at least that much.

Secondly: My post indicated that if he needed simple window manipulation, he could *try* mine. Did I say "My project is the the bomb, dewd...forget about this _SplitMon project. Mine does everything!"? No, I didn't. Relocate is similar to SplitMon in window repositioning only. That is where mine stops. I have no plans to revise my project scope and develop additional features.

Third: *At the time* I tried your project, _SPLITMON DID NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO MOVE WINDOWS INTO NEIGHBORING MONITORS ergo no multi-monitor support, so my statement is true. This is the main and only reason I created my own project...I saw a greate idea, needed it, and wanted to address it ASAP. This also served as a learning opportunity for me to get direct experience with the way Windows manages its desktop.

Fourth: I have made a few contributions to your project however, I dedicate most of my time to improving my own projects. Unfortunately, this does thin out the thinktank a bit. Anybody that writes code (at least at our level; trying to make small full blown utilities) would say the same. As time permits and if something relevant comes across our plate we distribute as needed to those we think we can help, as I have.

Fifth: Repositioning twice...I take it you're refering to my restore/move/maximize procedure. Yes, you can move a maximized window however it creates a window that cannot be manually resized thereafter. Obviously, a window state that would never occur normally. Additionally, I'm working on monitors with different resolutions at the same time...you just can't move a window into another screen expecting the res to be the same.

Sixth: As for donations, they are totally voluntary. The projects I author have no nags, no limitations, nor do I shove a "DONATE NOW" screen in anyones face. The donations I receive help me recover hosting costs to serve out my own website and keep DP on my desk while I stare for hours at the 1,000/1 contrast off my screen. They are from users that feel that the projects I've authored and the support I've provided them has helped. No one is obligated to donate...RTF donation page!.

Lastly: Yes, I'm using the same MICROSOFT REMOTE TERMINAL icon as you. What's your point? You ripped off MS first...well you got me there. That you were first to pick the obvious icon to associate with a window repositioning util...you got me there, too.

I am not trying to belittle your efforts. Your project is founded on a great idea and will help many people *once it's complete*. However, for my *immediate* concerns, I took the other path at the fork in the road...

In conclusion: I continue to offer my help to anyone that looks for it and will offer all options whenever they are available. I hope that others do the same. I offer any of my code so that it may be incorporated elsewhere. No strings. Don't like my coding style; rewrite it. Think you can optimize my functions; go for it. The world doesn't revolve around me and I know that I'm not a master at anything...I have a desire to learn and be helpful and that's good enough for me.