_SplitMon:Window Mgmt Suite!

fisofo

Hi fisofo,

Just found a nifty litle utility that creates an additional taskbar on each of your secondary monitors (systems up to 3 monitors)

If a window is moved to a seconday monitor then the associated task bar 'button' is also moved. Cool.

Worth checking it out at

http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

My Scripts[topic="73325"]_ReverseDNS()[/topic]Favourite scripts by other members[topic="81687"]SNMP udf[/topic][topic="70759"]Using SNMP - MIB protocol[/topic][topic="39050"]_SplitMon:Section off your monitor!, split your monitor into sections for easy management[/topic][topic="73425"]ZIP.au3 UDF in pure AutoIt[/topic][topic="10534"]WMI ScriptOMatic tool for AutoIt[/topic][topic="51103"]Resources UDF embed/use any data/files into/from AutoIt compiled EXE files[/topic]

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RogDog, thanks for the tip on the program! :whistle:

However, for me it totally jacks with my already setup taskbar and rearranged my windows. That was way undesirable. Maybe they'll clean that up. It might just be my system, but it's a bug nonetheless.

I prefer Fisofo's because I can customize it and it doesn't have the bug I briefly described.

A decision is a powerful thing

Sorry to hear that you had problems with the program. I am using on 2 XP machines at work without any probs

I wasn't suggesting for one minute that it should be used instead of splitmon, the features of splitmon are great.

I am using them both but only use the taskbar feature of the other utility.

What do you reckon fisofo, another feature to add to splitmon :whistle:

My Scripts[topic="73325"]_ReverseDNS()[/topic]Favourite scripts by other members[topic="81687"]SNMP udf[/topic][topic="70759"]Using SNMP - MIB protocol[/topic][topic="39050"]_SplitMon:Section off your monitor!, split your monitor into sections for easy management[/topic][topic="73425"]ZIP.au3 UDF in pure AutoIt[/topic][topic="10534"]WMI ScriptOMatic tool for AutoIt[/topic][topic="51103"]Resources UDF embed/use any data/files into/from AutoIt compiled EXE files[/topic]

What do you reckon fisofo, another feature to add to splitmon :whistle:

HAHA! :P I agree with the subtle note

Sorry to hear that you had problems with the program. I am using on 2 XP machines at work without any probs

I wasn't suggesting for one minute that it should be used instead of splitmon, the features of splitmon are great.

I am using them both but only use the taskbar feature of the other utility.

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. I should try to get it working. I only tried it once and it freaked out. However, it might work fine if I tried it again. The taskbar is pretty keen.

A decision is a powerful thing

Hey Guys!

Wow... it's been awhile hasn't it? The DST stuff really kicked my butt the last couple of weeks, plus I was leading a trip up north, which always takes a lot of time as well. Good to be back!

Anywho... cool program rogdog, not a chance I'd implement it though :whistle: Seriously, unless someone had an idea on how... naw, I don't think so :P

I actually use something similar though, it's called "Ultramon" and it's the best in the biz. Used to be cheaper, but for what it does I think it's still very worth it. Basically it will do the multiple taskbars as well, but also adds support for different wallpapers for each screen, multiple screensaver support, basic hotkeys, etc, etc... and best of all, a nice little scripting section. Actually, I also really like that it can save monitor setups; so if you bring your laptop to work where there is a display to hook into, as well as a different config at home, you can simply hit a shortcut and the configuration gets restored. Handy.

On to business as they say! The "Bug" that you found regarding the recursion error: I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it... if you hold a hotkey down in any autoit script, it will get continuously called, and if the code is not short enough, or if it calls another function, I think you're bound to get that error. In any case, I tried working around it, but have not been able to find a viable solution... I actually have other scripts I found this to be the case for as well. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

Well, I've started coding again, no idea when I'll have another release up, but hopefully sooner than later :D

Hehehe, I wasn't really suggesting you implemented the taskbar function, it looks like it would be a lot of work especially when we have the free multimon software and you have Ultramon (shame they don't do a free cut down version of the taskbar :P )

Thanks for looking at the recursion error and no probs that you can't fix it. It shouldn't affect anyone under normal use and it's a bit weird that I found the 'bug' in the first place . I don't know what I was doing at the time to want to hold the keys down for that long anyway :whistle:

Looking forward to you next release

rogdog

• 3 weeks later...

No, I'm not dead, and neither is the project :P

I've gotten all of the "to-do's" implemented! I had to take some time to fix a bug (see here), but now it's just about ready for upload. I will have the latest version (3.0.0!!) up by this weekend, here's a teaser of some of the new stuff:

-Laptop mode now more laptop friendly :shocked:

-Define Zones for Redirect/Half-Maximize

-Define and Launch Workspaces! (or WinSpaces as I like to call them)

-Define Virtual Monitors for Screen Splits! (I'm particularly excited about this one... if you use citrix/rdp, you should be too :( )

Catch you all in a few days!

Version 2.9.9 has been released!

I decided to release a pre-3.0.0 version so that if any bugs come up, I can fix them in the next week and then release the big 3.0 :shocked:

Let me know what you think, and be sure to read what I put in the first post. If I didn't put you in the "thanks" section and you helped out in some way, let me know and I'll add you.

Happy Easter!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fisofo,

I have been meaning to post for a few days now to say thanks for the latest features.

Unfornuatly I have not had chance to test any of the new features but I am sure they are great

I will hopefully report back after I have had a good chance to do a test drive

cheers

Hi fisofo,

I have been meaning to post for a few days now to say thanks for the latest features.

Unfornuatly I have not had chance to test any of the new features but I am sure they are great

I will hopefully report back after I have had a good chance to do a test drive

cheers

No prob, thanks! I made a couple slight changes in prep for 3.0, but otherwise it seems to run pretty well on my box... let me know what you think, I think I'd like to release the 3.0 this weekend if all goes well.

Oh, and what do you think of the KeepAlive script? It's not something I wanted to do, but it does seem to offer a kind of "fix" for myself and it doesn't use much for resources. I think I might make it a bit more robust and have it "find" the Splitmon app rather than just have it be defined... I'd really like to just not use it, but I've found no workaround for the periodic crash of the MonitorInfo code.

nice program

is there anyway you can make it so that you are able to resize the window as a whole? like not cutting any parts out

example

i have this program that once open its fixed at a certain res and when i use windowkey + 7 half the screen gets cut off

is there a way u can make it so that the whole screen gets smaller including the text and stuff??

just an idea :shocked:

nice program

is there anyway you can make it so that you are able to resize the window as a whole? like not cutting any parts out

example

i have this program that once open its fixed at a certain res and when i use windowkey + 7 half the screen gets cut off

is there a way u can make it so that the whole screen gets smaller including the text and stuff??

just an idea :shocked:

Do you have a screenshot or something, because I'm not quite sure I follow you... it sounds like what you're talking about is more a problem with a specific app than anything else.

Thanks for the input!

i'll have to post it when i get hom but let me try to explain it a bit better

The program opens up a window that cannot be resized at all, currently with your program it is able to resize it but doing so will cut some of the window off.

What i was wondering if it was able for you to make the window resizable with everything in it (stretching it bigger if i decide to make the thing big, or making everything inside smaller like text stuff if i want to make it smaller)

And i dont think its the app's problem, because it was made not to be resizable but i want to make it smaller so it doesn't take up my whole screen while being able to see whats happening.

not sure if this clear things up :shocked: let me know if you require more info

i'll have to post it when i get hom but let me try to explain it a bit better

The program opens up a window that cannot be resized at all, currently with your program it is able to resize it but doing so will cut some of the window off.

What i was wondering if it was able for you to make the window resizable with everything in it (stretching it bigger if i decide to make the thing big, or making everything inside smaller like text stuff if i want to make it smaller)

And i dont think its the app's problem, because it was made not to be resizable but i want to make it smaller so it doesn't take up my whole screen while being able to see whats happening.

not sure if this clear things up :shocked: let me know if you require more info

Gotcha... yeah, I doubt I can help you there, my app doesn't do anything with text sizes and the like, it doesn't even pay attention to the contents of a window, only it's size and position. I can look at what you have, but it's doubtful I can help... sorry!

@fear1313 - thanks!

Hi fisofo,

I'm using your script (not yet upgraded to latest) and as i alreay said it's VERY usefull for ppl that own a wide 16/9 or 16/10 monitor :shocked:

Do you think you can add a hotkey (F8 ?) to do like on Mac OS-X ? When you press F8 all opened windows are resized and moved to be all visible on the screen and when you release F8 all windows are restored in their initial state (size and position)...

It's a suggestion, let me know what u think about it

Cu

Hi fisofo,

I'm using your script (not yet upgraded to latest) and as i alreay said it's VERY usefull for ppl that own a wide 16/9 or 16/10 monitor :(

Do you think you can add a hotkey (F8 ?) to do like on Mac OS-X ? When you press F8 all opened windows are resized and moved to be all visible on the screen and when you release F8 all windows are restored in their initial state (size and position)...

It's a suggestion, let me know what u think about it

Cu

Thanks Jango!

My first reaction to your idea was: "No way!" But the problem is that I like it, so I'm still thinking about it :shocked: ... and after playing with some pseudo-code, I think I might be able to do this. Very tempting, I'll see what I can hammer out, perhaps I'll add it in after the 3.0 release.

I've been using this program for a few weeks now on Vista, and I love it! It's not something I use ALL the time, but when I want it, it's great to just have it there!

Any word on the 3.0.0 release...? :D

I love the idea of emulating the expose' function on OSX, but I'm not sure just resizing/repositioning windows is the way to go; expose' actually shows the entire window smaller, rather than hoping you might be able to recognize the window you want by its upper 200x200 pixels :-) Maybe someone will find how to take advantage of Vista's live taskbar thumbnails or similar technology so we can create something like this for Vista...but I can't think of a way to do it on XP other than restoring all windows, cycling through them capturing screenshots, then presenting the screenshots in a topmost GUI...what a mess! So maybe I'll shut up and stare in wonder and amazement when you pull it off, as I'm sure you will! (done thinking out loud) :)

Thanks for this program...keep it up! :D

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

I've been using this program for a few weeks now on Vista, and I love it! It's not something I use ALL the time, but when I want it, it's great to just have it there!

Any word on the 3.0.0 release...? :D

I love the idea of emulating the expose' function on OSX, but I'm not sure just resizing/repositioning windows is the way to go; expose' actually shows the entire window smaller, rather than hoping you might be able to recognize the window you want by its upper 200x200 pixels :-) Maybe someone will find how to take advantage of Vista's live taskbar thumbnails or similar technology so we can create something like this for Vista...but I can't think of a way to do it on XP other than restoring all windows, cycling through them capturing screenshots, then presenting the screenshots in a topmost GUI...what a mess! So maybe I'll shut up and stare in wonder and amazement when you pull it off, as I'm sure you will! (done thinking out loud) :)

Thanks for this program...keep it up! :D

Thank you! Since I haven't heard much rumblings from folks, I'm going to be releasing 3.0 soon, probably tonight. It's a small jump from the current version, just a few minor fixes and improvements.

Yep, I realized the stuff you posted about the OSX effect after I started digging into it more... How do they code that?!? I'm going to contemplate this one more, but I think I'll just say that it's not going to happen for the time being. But fear not, I found how you can do it still if you really want it!

Intellipoint is the way to go, and I've found it works with most mice that I've thrown at it. Anyway, somewhere in there you can assign functions to buttons, and one such function is the OS X effect. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's not loaded right now... but that's one way to do it :D