_SplitMon:Window Mgmt Suite!

fisofo

3.0.0 is out!

Thanks for the interest in this project guys, I've never done something like this before, and it's been a lot of fun. The interest you all showed really spurred me on, plus it's just plain fun. :)

Looking back at the first version, I find it hard to believe that it started with such a simple 200 line script... and now it's at 2600 lines!?!

And yet I'm sure there's more that could be done with this thing, and so I'm definitely not calling this thing closed... AutoIt is way too addicting for that. :D But I am going to slow down a bit with it for now (as I'm sure you have already noticed). After a bit of a Hiatus... well, we'll see. :D

Let me know how it works!

chris

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have downloaded and tested out the winspaces feature by opening an ftp program and positioning it where I want it and also outlook and internet explorer.

On various load attempts only 2 out of the 3 windows will load, usually the one that won't load is internet explorer, but not always. My last attempt before this post loaded Outlook and IE, but not the FTP program.

I have a few questions (and btw, am a total ignorant person when it comes to modifying these scripts):

1. Are you designing your script based on XP, or Vista? or is it a thing that should work on both?

2. Will this script help someone that is using an external monitor on a laptop in order to have dual monitors?

Regarding question #2: The problem I need to resolve deals with running dual monitors with the 2nd monitor being an external flat scree and the primary being the laptop screen. When the laptop is unplugged and taken away for business and then plugged back in, Vista requires that we redesignate the primary and secondary monitors and also reassemble all the programs and windows where they should be.

Will this program work to solve my dual monitor situation?

Thanks in advance, and great job on this script.

• 1 year later...

v3.0.5 is out!

So, I obviously haven't updated this much, and I'm not sure I will change much going forward, but be sure to let me know if you run into any trouble and I'll at least try to fix the bugs!

This release contains some various code improvements and bug fixes, plus a couple of minor functionality additions. I've been using it on Vista for quite some time, so it should work fine on there.

Let me know how it works for ya!

First: Thanks a lot for SplitMon! It is great, especially WinResize.

3.0.0 works good for me, but 3.0.5 does not work at all! Strange. Even only opening the settings dialog is very slow or doesn't work at all. WinSpaces open very slow. Windows-Key+NumPad does not work at all.

If you want them I'll gladly send you my system info and produce log files if SplitMon can generate log files.

Again: Thanks for making and maintaining this!

HelgeJoao at googlemail com

v3.0.5 is out!

First: Thanks a lot for SplitMon! It is great, especially WinResize.

3.0.0 works good for me, but 3.0.5 does not work at all!

well that's hardly ideal. Did you compile it yourself, or are you running the exe? One thing you can do is make sure you have the most recent AutoIt, then run the program by hitting F5 in Scite, then we might get some errors I could look at. Is your antivirus picking it up? I didn't pack with UPX this time in hopes fewer AV apps would nail it.

I currently don't have a "debugger" on it, but if we can't figure it out I could certainly whip something up...

Edit: Also, are you using the splitmon.ini file I included with the zip? I don't think you'd need it, but you could try backing up your current one and using that instead.

Also, are you trying to use the _SplitMonKeepAlive? You shouldn't need to anymore if you were before.

Edited by fisofo

Hi fisofo!

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay.

I ran it in Scite, but received no errors. I discovered that WinSpaces is working well. Windows-Key+NumPad-numbers doesn't work at all. My anti-virus is disabled.

I tried both the ini coming with in the zip and my old one. Same results.

I am not using (and never used) _SplitMonKeepAlive,

Thanks for contributing all this,

:) Helge

http://twitter.com/HelgeM

• 4 weeks later...

Hi fisofo!

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay.

I ran it in Scite, but received no errors. I discovered that WinSpaces is working well. Windows-Key+NumPad-numbers doesn't work at all. My anti-virus is disabled.

I tried both the ini coming with in the zip and my old one. Same results.

I am not using (and never used) _SplitMonKeepAlive,

Thanks for contributing all this,

:P Helge

http://twitter.com/HelgeM

Sorry for MY delay, apparently my subscription to this topic died or something.

Do you have the latest version of AutoIt running? It almost sounds like something else is mapped to use the number pad (or an old version is running?). Do the arrow keys work (not on the number pad)?

Edited by fisofo

Hi fisofo,

I noticed the same problems.

Anything I can do to track down the problem?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

getting trigger happy on the reply there water? Trying to get my attention? :P

Personally, this script is working on Win Vista, Vista x64, and XP Pro on about 6 or so machines. So I'm not sure what the common factor is here. Please do these basic checks and tell me results, I'll need some details here!

What version of Windows are you on?

Do you have the latest version of AutoIt running?

Does compiling give any info?

Try running the exe I included?

Is your antivirus picking it up?

Do the arrow keys work (not on the number pad)?

Are some things working and not others? (ex: Winspaces)

Using included splitmon.ini? What about your old one?

An old version of Splitmon running?

Hi fisofo,

I'm very sorry for the multiple posts.

Most of the time the connection to the forum timed out without returning an indication

whether the post was accepted or not. I deleted the surplus postings.

What version of Windows are you on?

> Windows XP SP 2 - German

Do you have the latest version of AutoIt running?

> I'm running Version 3.2.12

Does compiling give any info?

> No errors when compiling

Try running the exe I included?

> I tried the exe as well but with the same results

Is your antivirus picking it up?

> I'm running McAfee VirusScan - it doesn't complain

Do the arrow keys work (not on the number pad)?

> No

Are some things working and not others? (ex: Winspaces)

> I haven't tested other functions but Winsplit so far

Using included splitmon.ini? What about your old one?

> I use the included splitmon.ini

An old version of Splitmon running?

> No older version is running - this is my first try with your program

But I was running "relocate" before - I disabled the startup of relocate but maybe

it left some traces in the system?

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40823

I just tried on another pc without "relocate" - it doesn't work as well.

Kind regards

Thomas

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

no worries on the multi-posts :P

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what's going on yet, but I'm gonna get some debugging together and I'll post you some things to test. I also found an updated version of the hook.dll that I use, so I will see if that helps as well.

I should have something in a day or two, let me know if you discover anything else note-worthy in the meantime!

Ok, I uploaded a debug version to the first post.

Here's some info on what I uploaded:

- Place the files in the zip in the same folder as your current splitmon so that it has access to the icons folder. Backup your splitmon.ini if you have settings you want to keep.

- The debug version isn't modified much, just a bit of extra code here and there to find out what is and is not responding.

- The Splitmon.ini has everything except the "WinSplit" functionality disabled, and a key "DebugOn" set to 1 so that a debug.ini file will get created when you run debug version.

- I did not compile the code because of lack of space, but you should be able to do that just fine on your own.

- the hook.dll included is a slightly newer version I found, although I don't see much difference with it and it should not affect the issue you guys are seeing.

And here's some testing thoughts I'd like you to try:

1. Save a copy of the debug.ini file for each case so that they can be analyzed separately.

2. Try running the above version and see if it works. If it does, please try selectively turning things on/changing settings from the settings dialog and see if any of them break it.

3. If it doesn't, try removing line 4 of the code where I have turned UPX off.

Sorry for all of the testing, but I have not be able to reproduce this issue on ANY machine, so I need you to work with me to determine the issue.

Thanks!

Hi fisofo,

I tried your debug code and here are my results:

• I only tested WinSplit - it doesn't work. I tried the interpreted and the compiled Script.
  • When right-clicking the Tray-icon and selecting "Settings" I had to do it twice to get the settings screen. After clicking OK the Exit Function from the Tray-Icon doesnt work any more. It works when you start SplitMon and click Exit.

You can call the Settings only once. After clicking OK SplitMon seems to ignore the ContextMenu. You cant Exit and have to cancel the process.

• SplitMon seems to ignore the Windows Key (Left and right). I started Windows with Shift pressed to ignore all Autostart programs. Any Number pressed on the NumPad is processed by the application.
Attached you'll find the debug.ini for my tests with the interpreted and compiled version. I tested Winsplit with Windows+0 and Settings from the ContextMenu.

HTH

Thomas

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi fisofo,

I tried your debug code and here are my results:

• I only tested WinSplit - it doesn't work. I tried the interpreted and the compiled Script.
  • When right-clicking the Tray-icon and selecting "Settings" I had to do it twice to get the settings screen. After clicking OK the Exit Function from the Tray-Icon doesnt work any more. It works when you start SplitMon and click Exit.

You can call the Settings only once. After clicking OK SplitMon seems to ignore the ContextMenu. You cant Exit and have to cancel the process.

• SplitMon seems to ignore the Windows Key (Left and right). I started Windows with Shift pressed to ignore all Autostart programs. Any Number pressed on the NumPad is processed by the application.
Attached you'll find the debug.ini for my tests with the interpreted and compiled version. I tested Winsplit with Windows+0 and Settings from the ContextMenu.

HTH

Thomas

"When right-clicking the Tray-icon and selecting "Settings" I had to do it twice to get the settings screen." - did you have to click "settings" twice, or right click on the icon twice? The icon issue I've seen before, having to actually click the "Settings" twice from the menu I have not.

Try doing WindowsKey + Arrow keys (not on the numpad), just to eliminate any weird numlock problems.

Okay, I've attached another debug version with some further traces, pass me back the debug.ini again. Also, I included "ye old" 3.0.0 version. Please test that too just to verify again that that one still works!

Thanks, I'll keep digging too.

Edited by fisofo

Hi fisofo,

"When right-clicking the Tray-icon and selecting "Settings" I had to do it twice to get the settings screen." - did you have to click "settings" twice, or right click on the icon twice?

I had to click "settings" twice to get the settings screen.

Try doing WindowsKey + Arrow keys (not on the numpad), just to eliminate any weird numlock problems.

I tried WindowsKey+Arrow keys - same behavior as with the numpad.

Version 3.0. works just fine.

The 3.0 icon Shows 2 screens with a yellow double-headed arrow. The text says "SplitMon: 2 Monitors"

The 3.05 icon only shows one larger screen and the text says "SplitMon"

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi fisofo,

I had to click "settings" twice to get the settings screen.

I tried WindowsKey+Arrow keys - same behavior as with the numpad.

Version 3.0. works just fine.

The 3.0 icon Shows 2 screens with a yellow double-headed arrow. The text says "SplitMon: 2 Monitors"

The 3.05 icon only shows one larger screen and the text says "SplitMon"

The icon point is interesting, the code that would result in that is:

If Not FileExists(@ScriptDir & "\Icons\WideMon.ico") Then
        TraySetIcon(@SystemDir & "\" & "rtcshare.exe")

Which would indicate that the Icons folder was not available... did you run it from the same location as the others? Also, I just noticed the 3.0.0 code can't run with the latest version of AutoIt, so I have modified it enough to work with it (I'm guessing that's what you did?)

I also made some more debug lines in 3.0.5 for further tracing. Find both attached to this post in the zip file. Be sure that when you run/compile these ones that the Icons folder is available to them. See how both the 3.0.0_debug runs for you and the 3.0.5_debug and then pass the debug.ini to me again.

Thanks for your continued patience, I think we are getting closer to nailing down the problem!

Edited by fisofo

The icon point is interesting

You are right - I unzipped to a different folder and didn't copy the icons directory. BUT: Even with the icons directory available 3.0 shows two screens in the tray icon whereas 3.05 only shows 1 screen.

I tested both _SplitMon_v3.0.0_debug.au3 and _SplitMon_v3.0.5_debug.au3. V3.0.0 doesn't write any debug output.

Attached you'll find 4 files:

Settings_3.05.ini - Clicking twice on "Settings"

Settings_3.05_Debug.txt - The same with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=Y

WinSplit_3.05.ini - Trying WinSPlit with left WindowsKey + Arrow Don on the Arrows Pad

WinSplit_3.05_Debug.txt - The same with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=Y

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You are right - I unzipped to a different folder and didn't copy the icons directory. BUT: Even with the icons directory available 3.0 shows two screens in the tray icon whereas 3.05 only shows 1 screen.

I tested both _SplitMon_v3.0.0_debug.au3 and _SplitMon_v3.0.5_debug.au3. V3.0.0 doesn't write any debug output.

Attached you'll find 4 files:

Settings_3.05.ini - Clicking twice on "Settings"

Settings_3.05_Debug.txt - The same with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=Y

WinSplit_3.05.ini - Trying WinSPlit with left WindowsKey + Arrow Don on the Arrows Pad

WinSplit_3.05_Debug.txt - The same with #AutoIt3Wrapper_Run_Debug_Mode=Y

Eureka! I didn't even think of the debug mode, good idea, shows how much I know :P

In any case, it appears we have an infinite loop caused by this code:

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 4)
    While Not IsArray($StartMenuPos) ; if windows is "frozen" this will prevent a crash of splitmon
        Sleep(100)
        Local $StartMenuPos = WinGetPos("classname=Shell_TrayWnd", "Notification Area")
    WEnd
    Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 1)

which makes sense, as the text is different in the German version!

This was some dumb code anyway, so I will work on getting it replaced pronto... I believe This Code will work better. I'll post a new version as soon as I finish updating everything and testing it. Thanks for the help Thomas!