Password and user name

Hey guys, first post here so forgive my ignorance if this is right in my face.(Kindly point me in the right direction and point and laugh!)

I have some applications that I want to automate starting up and logging in and potentially replicating a "smoke test" within out testing environment.

The application starts up and the log in window doesn't have a title? Its just a input field with two lines to enter; a "Please enter your name" and then a "Please enter your password" field.The cursor automatically gains focus on the first field (if that helps?)

Thanks in advance, Ive been a QA Tester for 5+ years and Im trying to bring a bit more to the table by automating some of the process at my current position.

Auto IT seems perfect for this type of thing!

Chris

Hey guys, first post here so forgive my ignorance if this is right in my face.(Kindly point me in the right direction and point and laugh!)

I have some applications that I want to automate starting up and logging in and potentially replicating a "smoke test" within out testing environment.

The application starts up and the log in window doesn't have a title? Its just a input field with two lines to enter; a "Please enter your name" and then a "Please enter your password" field.The cursor automatically gains focus on the first field (if that helps?)

Thanks in advance, Ive been a QA Tester for 5+ years and Im trying to bring a bit more to the table by automating some of the process at my current position.

Auto IT seems perfect for this type of thing!

Chris

Look in the help file for hotkeys and Send - those should work. Window pops up - user hits hotkey - enters first username - Tab down and then enter password

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Look in the help file for hotkeys and Send - those should work. Window pops up - user hits hotkey - enters first username - Tab down and then enter password

Any user action required will defeat the purpose of scripting the interface for test. (I've run a few circles around this one myself.)

Your window probably has attributes that aren't displayed. The first tool to try is AutoItInfo tool, which comes with AutoIt.

Some windows (ColdFusionMX drives me crazy with it) don't use the Windows APIs, and the controls are therefore invisible to AutoIt.

Post the results you get from AutoItInfo, and maybe there will be more possibilities.

To find it with your own script, look at WinList() and try to determine the window's handle.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

So I found out the name of the window from the Auto IT Info box and I got the first line to populate but when attempting to send the "tab" key to go to the next field it gives me an error every time? I know this is probably really simple error but..anyway here is the portion of the code that I input?

WinWaitActive( "Register User")

Send ("admin")

Send ( "keys" [, TAB] )

Thanks guys for the help...slowly but surely..

Oh I and tried the same command with the {} brackets also but it craps out as well?

Edited by codenoob