About This File
This file includes all the source codes and a compiled .exe version of zPlayer, which is a stand-alone, simple, intuitive and easy-to-use, yet fully functional audio player. I made this to suit my purpose and you can tweak it to your taste as the source code is only about 1000 lines which are very much readable. This player has the following functions:
- Play back all formats of audio files which can be palyed back by the Windows Media Player in your computer
- Graphical player similar to embedded Windows Media Player
- Forward, backward, pause, repeat, shuffle funtions
- Increase/decrease/mute sound volume
- Change folders and create playlist for all audio files in that folder and its subfolders, and support for manually-made playlists
- Save play-back environment when terminating and resume that environment when restarting
- With one click, you can see DuckDuckGo search results for the file being played back
- With a double-click, you can play back an item in the playlist
- Search strings in the playlist
- Option to see long file names including folder names
- Resize the playlist window, and restore it to its default position
- Very small footprint: very low CPU and memory usage, with only about 1MB when compiled
- You can even hide all the windows and manipulate the player with hotkeys only
Note: zPlayer is the name I used when I introduced the early version of this palyer in my blog back in early 2009 and, therefore, has nothing to do with the mobile media player of the same name which started marketing in 2015.
What's New in Version 188.8.131.52
Hash values for compiled file of the latest version:
No threats detected by Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal
Windows Defender in Windows 10 does not detect the compiled version of this program
Version 184.108.40.206 - July 12, 2020
1. Fixed a minor bug
Version 220.127.116.11 - July 10, 2020
1. Fixed the problem with getting and showing bitrates for ogg format files
2. Fixed the problem arising when the files in playlist do not exist in the folder
3. Changed all MsgBox() alerts to custom-designed GUI alerts
4. Volume control GUI revised to change volume continually if the mouse is clicked and held down
Version 18.104.22.168 - June 30, 2020
1. Streamlined resizing behaviour of playlist window
Version 22.214.171.124 - June 25, 2020
1. A rescan function was added to enable update of the current folder playlist reflecting changes in supported file types or folder contents.
2. A welcome message is shown when the program does not find zPlayer.ini file in the program directory.
3. Help menu was added to the main window.
4. Some redundant code lines were eliminated. ( June 26, 2020)
Version 126.96.36.199 - May 27, 2020
If the player does not find zPlayer.ini file in the same directory, the player assumes that it is being launched for the first time and displays the Help window.
Version 188.8.131.52 - Mar. 2, 2020
The Help was revised to elaborate on how to define file types supported by this player. Now it read:
This player can play back all audio file formats supported by Windows Media Player and addtioanl codecs installed. File formats supported initially by default are mp3, wma, asf, ogg, flac and ape. These are defined in zPlayer.ini file which is created after the first run of this player. Additional file formats you want to play back should be specified in File Types section of zPlayer.ini file.
Version 184.108.40.206 - Feb. 10, 2020
1. The movement of progress bar shuttle was fine-tuned. You can click the mouse anywhere on the slider and drag and drop the shuttle.
2. The tray menu items were revised to reflect correct states of windows.
3. A separate, non-modal Help window was created instead of a regular modal message box.
Version 220.127.116.11 - January 15, 2020
1. Revised the way the player detects bitrate of a file so that correct bitrate can be detected regardless of OS version
2. Revised MyDuck() function to use default browser to execute search
3. Kaspersky scan result for the compiled file was as follows:
Version 18.104.22.168 - November 24, 2019
1. Fixed a few minor bugs.
2. When the player encounters an unplayable file, option is given to play the next file or to quit. Formerly the player moved to the next file by default.
Version 22.214.171.124 - August 21, 2019
1. Listview functions were revised to position current item in the center of the window when its is resized.
2. Files were divided into 2 packages: one containing source codes and the other to contain compiled exe file only.
Version 126.96.36.199 - May 15, 2019
Per @careca's recommendation, changed sound volume controls to work on program sound levels instead of system sound levels.