Getting Tesseract to Work

boxme

I'm trying to get Tesseract to work using the example script here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/174483-tesseract-simple-example/ Downloading the script and running it with the example image just gives me a blank readout. Someone else had the same problem here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/174476-single-dll-file-for-ocr/#comment-1263034 but doesn't provide an explanation of how they fixed it. Has anyone else experienced this problem and know of a fix? 

I think you have to copy the files in the tessdata folder to "C:\Program Files\Tesseract\tessdata".

It does not have to be "C:\Program Files". It depends on your Windows version. I tested on my old XP.

Open a "Command Prompt" in the folder where you have unpacked TesseractExample.zip. The folder where tesseract.exe is located.

Run this command (with your own path):

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\AutoIt\Tesseract\TesseractExample>tesseract.exe image.bmp output

Then you'll see an error like this:

Unable to load unicharset file C:\Program Files\Tesseract\tessdata/eng.unicharset

The error message includes the path where tesseract.exe expect eng.unicharset to be installed.

It does not have to be "C:\Program Files". It depends on your Windows version. I tested on my old XP.

Open a "Command Prompt" in the folder where you have unpacked TesseractExample.zip. The folder where tesseract.exe is located.

Run this command (with your own path):

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\AutoIt\Tesseract\TesseractExample>tesseract.exe image.bmp output

Then you'll see an error like this:

Unable to load unicharset file C:\Program Files\Tesseract\tessdata/eng.unicharset

The error message includes the path where tesseract.exe expect eng.unicharset to be installed.

Thank you, this worked perfectly!