Using controls to edit cells in a listview

LarsJ

Awesome.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

@LarsJ Are you planning to add this to your UDF which you relase recently.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I just realize that you are doing what I asked here:

I hope you also work on Header improvement, as I asked for.
Is it also in your current scope/field of work ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Thank you for all the feedback. Always nice with some feedback.

mLipok, The plan is to code a UDF. Otherwise it will be too difficult and time consuming to use the controls. It'll probably become an independent UDF. If you need both colors and controls you have to include both UDFs.

Before I can code a UDF I need to know which functionality it should support and which controls should be included. The possibilities regarding controls are almost endless. You can even create your own custom control similar to the MonthCal control (create a small GUI without title bar and borders and add some controls (which could include a ListView)). I also need to know if there are any issues with the existing code. So far I have just made a few notes.

The post that you have quoted, was one of the posts I had in mind when I created the examples. This post was another. I'll add the functionality to a header control. It should be very easy.

Some suggestions: Include the option to populate the combo with unique items existing within the column - adding new items as you go. Or make it highly customizable so that such examples are easy to create - along with autocomplete.

I would be cautious with headers, because a single click is often used to interact with a column eg. for sorting. I think it best if this functionality isn't affected (although I imagine it probably won't be - it's still worth mentioning).

Edited by czardas

3 hours ago, LarsJ said:

Thank you for all the feedback. Always nice with some feedback.

I agree this is nice to get any feedback.

3 hours ago, LarsJ said:

mLipok, The plan is to code a UDF. Otherwise it will be too difficult and time consuming to use the controls. It'll probably become an independent UDF. If you need both colors and controls you have to include both UDFs.

Good to know.
How you want to solve the problem with registering the same message for example WM_NOTIFY  in two different UDF ?
I propose this:

3 hours ago, LarsJ said:

Before I can code a UDF I need to know which functionality it should support and which controls should be included. The possibilities regarding controls are almost endless. You can even create your own custom control similar to the MonthCal control (create a small GUI without title bar and borders and add some controls (which could include a ListView)). I also need to know if there are any issues with the existing code. So far I have just made a few notes.

At first glance I would like to see this feature: TreeView and RadioButton, Checkboxes.
I wonder as only over whether they are really needed, I am looking for some specific needs of use.
Basically what we already showed, it is sufficient, until someone needs justify further functionality.

I think one will surely be needed: ListView Inside ListView.

#include <array.au3>

Local $aOuter[5][2]
Local $aInner[2][2] = [[1,2],[3,4]]

For $iOuter_idx = 0 To UBound($aOuter) -1
    $aOuter[$iOuter_idx][0] = Chr(65+ $iOuter_idx)
    $aOuter[$iOuter_idx][1] = $aInner
Next

_ArrayDisplay($aOuter,'$aOuter')
_ArrayDisplay($aInner,'$aInner')

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, mLipok said:

I think one will surely be needed: ListView Inside ListView.

I'm not entirely convinced about this. A ListView is what it says it is - i.e. a control which displays lists for the end-user to interact with. If you want to have a table of lists then you have introduced a third dimension, and there are much better ways display 3D data such as line breaks within cells, or even zooming into the cube. A table of tables is less user friendly and more akin to the internal gubbins of a complex engine. How many nested ListView controls do you envisage embedding and how large is your computer screen? You can have the same functionality by simply linking cells to other tables for the user to open in a separate window or new tab.

Edited by czardas

4 hours ago, czardas said:

You can have the same functionality by simply linking cells to other tables for the user to open in a separate window or new tab.

Good concept.
I must check it.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

In a UDF I think I would use the four functions SetWindowSubclass, GetWindowSubclass, RemoveWindowSubclass and DefSubclassProc (coded in WinAPIShellEx.au3) for message handling. Then it's easy for a user to add his own WM_NOTIFY message handler.

I also think I would use a function parameter to specify how the control should be opened. Then it should be possible to avoid conflicts with existing functionality.

The purpose of the examples is to edit a cell in a ListView. Coupled with this, I think the idea of ListView inside ListView is a little on the margins. Perhaps it may be the subject of a second example. My own idea with the ListView was to be able to select a value for 2 or 3 neighboring cells at once.

A ComboBox in a Header control could be very useful for filter functionality and similar. So far I have thought to use two different UDFs for the Header and the ListView.

I have added all the suggestions to my notes. Thank you.

If there is someone who wants to take up the challenge to make these examples into a real UDF, then you are more than welcome. Create your own example with the UDF version. You'll probably get a lot of likes. I'll not interfere at all. On the other hand I'll not guarantee that I'll not make my own version. Let me know if someone will take up the challenge. You can PM me if you want.

• Moderators

LarsJ,

I do not wish to put off anyone from taking up the challenge, but there is an existing UDF for editing ListViews using edits, combos and DTPS (along with many other functionalities).

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Yes, I have seen. However, there is also interest in these examples. There was demand for the functionality that I have referred to in bottom of post 7. And you need a little bit of competition to keep you sharp.

Regards Lars.

• Moderators

LarsJ,

And you need a little bit of competition to keep you sharp

Always room for healthy competition - bring it on!

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

The main purpose of the examples is to be able to edit cells in a virtual ListView with many rows. The code in first post works very well with a virtual ListView. Here is an example with 100,000 rows and 16 columns. Data stored in an array. It takes a few seconds to fill the array.

You can increase the number of rows to 1,000,000 in top of the code, but it takes longer time to fill the array. When the array is filled the rows are flying over the screen. Even on my old XP. You can edit every single cell with a ComboBox.

It works seamlessly except for a few issues with keyboard support and horizontal scrolling. They are not fully coordinated. This is just test code.

If data was stored in a database the ListView would show up immediately. Because AutoIt already supports SQLite databases and we have UDFs that supports ADO functionality and thus connection to other databases, this is the real interesting perspectives of these examples.

ListViewEditingCells.7z

Edited by LarsJ

3 hours ago, LarsJ said:

If data was stored in a database the ListView would show up immediately. Because AutoIt already supports SQLite databases and we have UDFs that supports ADO functionality and thus connection to other databases, this is the real interesting perspectives of these examples.

Very interesting.

In VirtualKeyboard.au3 - awesome, cursor inidcation.

VirtualKeyboard.au3 Feature request: Add feature to preset which column can be edited

VirtualKeyboard.au3 Feature request:

Please modify this to show in   GuiWin title:

1. if cell is going to be edited (is clicked and edit mode is in progress)
  2. if cell was edited and changed
  3. if cell was edited and not changed

Having this I will try to show example combined with ADO.au3 - I mean realtime recordset editing.

VirtualKeyboard.au3 Feature request:

Add button to enable / disable EDIT feature, this would be handy to be able  normally select rows after edit.

VirtualKeyboard.au3 - When I try to type any text on keyboard, and I'm not in cell editing mode, then listview jumps to first row. Why ?

Please try to attach files in ZIP, I ask about this because there is nice feature in Windows systems which gives you an easy and friendly way to use ZIP files, with out unziping files, so there is only downloading + click >> SciTE showing you the script.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

The code in post 17 is only test code. But hopefully there are no errors in the code in post 1.

My plan to make cell editing work for virtual listviews is to split up the process in a few smaller steps each of which is reasonably affordable:

1. Implement cell editing for a few small examples (more or less completed)
  2. Implement the code in the examples in a UDF that works for normal listviews
  3. Modify the code in the UDF to also work for virtual listviews

After playing around with EditControlKeyboard.au3, I discovered that dragging the first column to a different location prevents this from working correctly.

_GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle( $idListView, BitOr($LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER, $LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_HEADERDRAGDROP) )

If you drag the first column back to its original location, it starts working again.

Edit: This only seems to affect column 0. I don't intend to allow my row index column to be dragged anyway, but not everyone uses a hidden row index column, so you might want to try and fix this.

Edited by czardas