SMTP Mailer UDF

mLipok

Thank you for sharing your revisions, mLipok.  I just wanted to ask is it best preactices to not use Global variables? Why did you have to have most of them removed?

I very long time was using Smtp Mailer That Supports Html And Attachments.

In the end, I found that at present my needs I need to modify it. And here it is:

Creating this modification, I had to:

1. Object Error Handler used only for the duration of the function of Use,
2. Automatic ErrorHandler CleanUp so that previous ErrorHandler took the job.
3. Ability to get ErrorNumber and ErrorDescription ErrorScriptLine information even after the end of the function
4. Elimination of most global variables

I say you why I use _INetSmtpMailCom_ErrDescription()

If this be a Global Variable then you must remember how this variable are named.

When this is a function then using CallTips or tools like SciTeJump you can easy develope you app. Simply, you do not need to have everything in your head.

Besides I think (IMHO) Au3Check and even AutoIt much better take care about unique Function Names then unique Variables Names, and you must remember about eventually problems with Variable Scopes and posibility to mistake with using Local and Global vars.

It is possible that other members have a different opinion, it is possible that they have other arguments to prove the validity of my coding style.

I'd love to seeing the Opinion, but in the thread on best coding practices.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

do you think about this:

Saving Messages into ADO Stream Objects

VBScript
' Note: It is recommended that all input parameters be validated when they are
' first obtained from the user or user interface.
Sub SaveMessageToFile(iMsg, Filepath)
    Dim Stm
    Set Stm = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    Stm.Open
    Stm.Type = adTypeText ' 2
    Stm.Charset = "US-ASCII"

Dim iDsrc
    Set iDsrc = iMsg.DataSource
    iDsrc.SaveToObject Stm, "_Stream"

Stm.SaveToFile Filepath, adSaveCreateOverWrite

End Sub

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

you can try this one:

inside

Func _INetSmtpMailCom(....

change this:

$objEmail.Send

to this:

_SaveMessageToFile($objEmail,@ScriptFullPath & '_BeforeSend.eml')
    $objEmail.Send
    _SaveMessageToFile($objEmail,@ScriptFullPath & '_AfterSend.eml')

and of course here is _SaveMessageToFile

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _SaveMessageToFile
; Description ...:
; Syntax ........: _SaveMessageToFile($oMsg, $sFileFullPath)
; Parameters ....: $oMsg                - An unknown value.
;                  $sFileFullPath       - A string value.
; Return values .: None
; Author ........: mLipok
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa488396(v=exchg.65).aspx
; Example .......: No
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _SaveMessageToFile($oMsg, $sFileFullPath)
    Local $oStm = ObjCreate("ADODB.Stream")
    $oStm.Open
    $oStm.Type = 2 ; adTypeText
    $oStm.Charset = "US-ASCII"

$oMsg.DataSource.SaveToObject($oStm, "_Stream")

; https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms676152(v=vs.85).aspx
    ; adSaveCreateOverWrite = 2
    $oStm.SaveToFile($sFileFullPath, 2)

; CleanUp
    $oDsrc =''
    $oStm =''

EndFunc

If this is exactly what you want then I will submit new version of this UDF.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Do this function fit to yours need?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Do you compare results from:

_SaveMessageToFile($objEmail,@ScriptFullPath & '_BeforeSend.eml')
    $objEmail.Send
    _SaveMessageToFile($objEmail,@ScriptFullPath & '_AfterSend.eml')

Can you say something more about this two eml file ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
  • Developers

Error code: 2

Error Hex Number: 80020009

Description: The transport failed to connect to the server

Description (rc): The transport failed to connect to the server

ScriptLine: 190 ($objEmail.Send)

P.S. i dont see any difference in Jos' script

Nomally this means you didn't provide the correct server and/or port as it is unable to connect.... and correct ...there difference is the "wrapping". :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

This problem is related to Au3Check not to AutoIt or this UDF.

Please download newer version from here:

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/download/beta_SciTE4AutoIt3/Au3Check.exe

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the contribution, @mLipok.  When I try compiling it the errors shown below occur.  A few minutes before finding yours I successfully compiled and used the "original" from @JOS.  Any suggestions?  Also, have you written anything at noob level about how yours differs from the original and why you wrote it?

mLipok_udf_error.thumb.png.18c9b3a0da138

I will check when I back ... edit: home ,(now I'm at client office)

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Thank you for the contribution, @mLipok.  When I try compiling it the errors shown below occur.  A few minutes before finding yours I successfully compiled and used the "original" from @JOS.  Any suggestions?  Also, have you written anything at noob level about how yours differs from the original and why you wrote it?

mLipok_udf_error.thumb.png.18c9b3a0da138

Small imp crept into my code :)
Thanks for revealing it.

I see now in the following snippet you are comment first two line and uncomennt two last line:

Local $iIPPort = 25 ; port used for sending the mail
    Local $bSSL = False ; enables/disables secure socket layer sending - set to True if using httpS
    ; Local $IPPort = 465  ; GMAIL port used for sending the mail
    ; Local $bSSL = True   ; GMAIL enables/disables secure socket layer sending - set to True if using httpS

but it:

Local $IPPort = 465

should be:

Local $iIPPort = 465

how you see there is small imp ;)    
       $iIPPort <> $IPPort

mLipok

EDIT:

Also, have you written anything at noob level about how yours differs from the original and why you wrote it?

Reason 1.
Post #1

Creating this modification, I had to:

1. Object Error Handler used only for the duration of the function of Use,
2. Automatic ErrorHandler CleanUp so that previous ErrorHandler took the job.
3. Ability to get ErrorNumber and ErrorDescription ErrorScriptLine information even after the end of the function
4. Elimination of most global variables

Reason 2:

Entire Post #3:

Reason 3:

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Thank you mLipok!  Works great.

For morons like me I suggest you edit the Example Script comment to read:

;##################################
; Example Script  - TO USE THE EXAMPLE you must remove the semicolon before _Example() below.
;##################################

Also, please update the downloadable version in your OP as it does not contain the imp fix.

Edited by timmy2
suggestions

@mLipok,  would you please describe the meanings of the error values reported in the message box at the end of your Example?

@error
_INetSmtpMailCom_ErrHexNumber()
_INetSmtpMailCom_ErrDescription()
$rc

I wonder if there is any way to determine from the above info problems like "the recipient address wasn't found" or "the sender's password is invalid" -- just the basic stuff that can go wrong.  It would be nice have a hint as to the cause.

When I corrupt the password or recipient address and run the example I get roughly the same uninformative message.

gmailsend_error.thumb.png.1a9218e2abd742

@mLipok,  would you please describe the meanings of the error values reported in the message box at the end of your Example?

@error
_INetSmtpMailCom_ErrHexNumber()
_INetSmtpMailCom_ErrDescription()
$rc

I wonder if there is any way to determine from the above info problems like "the recipient address wasn't found" or "the sender's password is invalid" -- just the basic stuff that can go wrong.  It would be nice have a hint as to the cause.

When I corrupt the password or recipient address and run the example I get roughly the same uninformative message.

gmailsend_error.thumb.png.1a9218e2abd742