UDF-spec: QUESTIONS

mLipok

UDF-spec is actually defined here: https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/UDF-spec
I always want to ask many questions about UDF-spec, in particular in relation to: https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Best_coding_practices

Now when I submit:

My questions came back to my mind, at least in part.

Question 1:

The first of what I would like to ask is:   Why the specification says nothing about using:

#Region some description.....
#EndRegion

??

I use them more and more, as in the above UDF.

Question 2:
How to distinguish global variables within the UDF from other global variables, I think the main script?
I know that basically specification applies to the UDF, but must remain in some kind of relationship with the main part of the script, and the principles of good coding defined in the above mentioned link.

Question 3:
here https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/UDF-spec#Other_Sections
is some important part about variables and constants, I do not see any information about Enums .

So I want to ask : How to properly use enums ?

I would be pleased for answering those questions.

mLipok

Edited by mLipok
wording

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Question 2:
How to distinguish global variables within the UDF from other global variables, I think the main script?
I know that basically specification applies to the UDF, but must remain in some kind of relationship with the main part of the script, and the principles of good coding defined in the above mentioned link.

Sorry for the question I see that this is defined in:

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Best_coding_practices#Scopes_of_Variables

Variables should also be named according to their scope.

Global UDF variableGlobal variableLocal variable
$g__iSomeVar$g_iSomeVar$iSomeVar

With this method, you will avoid non wanted re-assignments.

But I see there is inconsistency on how to write scope of variables, as the UDF-Spec define it as:

... naming pattern: $__g<VARNAME>_<UDF> where <VARNAME> is the name as it ....

as you can see the "g" letter It is in a different position from the beginning of the name.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Read the discussion section of the UDF wiki page, you'll see that the "standard" listed there isn't to be taken as a standard. To be completely honest, I don't believe there is a standard naming convention used in the standard UDFs, although not for lack of trying.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Read the discussion section of the UDF wiki page, you'll see that the "standard" listed there isn't to be taken as a standard.

I do not know what exaclty you mean. Can you post a link / screenshot or some more description ?

To be completely honest, I don't believe there is a standard naming convention used in the standard UDFs, although not for lack of trying.

I saw that. For example in array.au3

Global $g_oArrayUniqueCOMErrorHandler = 0

is this should be:

Global $g__oArrayUniqueCOMErrorHandler = Null

?

and
in ie.au3

Global $__g_bIEAU3Debug = False
Global $__g_oIEErrorHandler, $__g_sIEUserErrorHandler

is this should be:

Global $g__bIEAU3Debug = False
Global $g__oIEErrorHandler = Null , $g__sIEUserErrorHandler = Null

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I do not know what exaclty you mean. Can you post a link / screenshot or some more description ?

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Talk:UDF-spec#Variable_naming_conventions

Global $g_oArrayUniqueCOMErrorHandler = 0

is this should be:

Global $g__oArrayUniqueCOMErrorHandler = Null

I personally don't agree that using one or two underscores is a good way of distinguishing between a global in a UDF or a global in the main script. It's far too easy to get them confused and adds nothing to making the script easier to follow. Especially if you're trying to read it quickly, you could mistake one for the other MUCH too easily. I tend to think that the global variable name in the IE udf makes it much simpler to see that it is a UDF global and not one from the main script. But this is merely my opinion and I have no control over how variables get named anywhere.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

mLipok,

Stop trying to overthink things - get the code working first and then worry about tidying up small details such as variable naming. Anyway, whenever it comes to trying to get everything exactly the same I always follow the example one of my old bosses and quote Ralph Waldo Emerson (well, the first few lines at least).

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

To be completely honest, I don't believe there is a standard naming convention used in the standard UDFs, although not for lack of trying.

After reading your comments, I would like to mention something more generally, what I forgot to write the introduction.
Well, I'm not going to complain about the currently available standard UDF file, or on anyone's published anywhere.
I just want to know how to properly write code, so that it is understood by everyone and equal in terms of appropriate methodology.

As indeed it was raised earlier eg. In the thread quoted at the beginning (XMLDomWrapperEx) in the future it would be good to have the XMLDomWrapperEX UDF as a standard.

In fact, I work even on many others, I change my own so as to have a better level, and working also with others UDF, for example, I have intensively working on: _sql.au3 which will eventually want to change to ADO.au3.

I also have a design and a bit of work devoted to the modification of one of the standard UDF.

Thanks, now I see that I was blind ;)

now I notice @Melba23 post. 

The last sentense "To be great is to be misunderstood." is the best (for me of course).

EDIT:
after lecture:

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Talk:UDF-spec#Variable_naming_conventions

I see I must re read :

Edited by mLipok
wording

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

There was but it wasn't enforced by those who pushed the libraries to AutoIt. jpm and myself have been doing a lot of refactoring as now a standard has been reached and can be see in the README (see help file sources OR wiki page).

@mLipok, I have updated the best practices wiki entries with some minor fixes. Global UDF variables (according to our latest README in the repo) and how they're named in the UDF, should be $__g_. The beta Array UDF is not using that global variable anymore, but correct, it should have been $__g_. My fault for not seeing that.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks

EDIT:

so for now it should be :

Global UDF variableGlobal variableLocal variable
$__g_iSomeVar$g_iSomeVar$iSomeVar

and again thanks ... for claryfication.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

so in UDF-Spec 

... naming pattern: $__g<VARNAME>_<UDF> where <VARNAME> is the name as it ....

should be also changed ?

For example 

$__g_<VARNAME>_<UDF> 

And what about such format in ie.au3

Global Enum _; Error Status Types
        $_IESTATUS_Success = 0, _
        $_IESTATUS_GeneralError, _
        $_IESTATUS_COMError, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidDataType, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidObjectType, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidValue, _
        $_IESTATUS_LoadWaitTimeout, _
        $_IESTATUS_NoMatch, _
        $_IESTATUS_AccessIsDenied, _
        $_IESTATUS_ClientDisconnected

and one more question 

is it good:

$__g_<VARNAME>_<UDF> 

or it would be better:

$__g_<UDF>_<VariableName> 

I prefer the second form, as this is much more readable, so in the code of the main program, and at the UDF section with declaration of variables.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Before I respond, I have just gone through all 19 pages of the best practices thread and updated code that was old and outdated.

Global Enum _; Error Status Types
        $_IESTATUS_Success = 0, _
        $_IESTATUS_GeneralError, _
        $_IESTATUS_COMError, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidDataType, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidObjectType, _
        $_IESTATUS_InvalidValue, _
        $_IESTATUS_LoadWaitTimeout, _
        $_IESTATUS_NoMatch, _
        $_IESTATUS_AccessIsDenied, _
        $_IESTATUS_ClientDisconnected

This is difficult to change as they user be all uppercase e.g. $IESTATUS_SUCCESS, but that would be a script breaking change because of $_ missing. It's one to think about at least.

I have also amended the wiki entry for the UDF specification. It's still work progress of course, but it's there as a good basis.

But in all honesty, if you're using global variables, then you're designing the UDF wrong. I have posted how to not use Global variables, but still maintain data for the duration of the application.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Before I respond, I have just gone through all 19 pages of the best practices thread and updated code that was old and outdated.

I've seen.

This is difficult to change as they user be all uppercase e.g. $IESTATUS_SUCCESS, but that would be a script breaking change because of $_ missing. It's one to think about at least.

I understand, and no wory about ie.au3 this was only example.

As I say in post #7:

"
Well, I'm not going to complain about the currently available standard UDF file, or on anyone's published anywhere.
I just want to know how to properly write code, so that it is understood by everyone and equal in terms of appropriate methodology.
"

I have also amended the wiki entry for the UDF specification. It's still work progress of course, but it's there as a good basis.

Have you noticed my amendment ?

But in all honesty, if you're using global variables, then you're designing the UDF wrong. I have posted how to not use Global variables, but still maintain data for the duration of the application.

actually in in XMLDomWrapperEx I'm using only:

Global $g__oXMLDOM_Events = Null

How you see this is not for ERROR handler but for EVENT Handler, as I'm actually not sure if it can be also done as local scope (must check few things), and I think there is no need to do that,       as Events must be declared per single AcitveX object, so there is no possibility for any problems with naming variables and overlapping of functions which should support the Event by various UDF.

edit.

all others Globals are const or enums.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I just checked your changes and they're great. About the global variable leave it if you think it's worthy of being there.

UDF List:

Now I have other question about UDF-Spec:

there is

Global Const $tagMYSTRUCT = "ptr hFoo; int iBar"

Question: how in relation to BestCodingPractice   TagStructure   should be properly declared in Global scope ?

I'm asking is this following declaration is proper :

Global Const $__g_tagMYSTRUCT = "ptr hFoo; int iBar"

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

@guinness I just notice 

https://www.autoitscript.com/w/index.php?title=UDF-spec&diff=13224&oldid=13223

that you remove from:

$__g_<VARNAME>_<UDF> 

_<UDF>

and now it is:

$__g_<VARNAME> 

It was intentional ? If so .. why ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Because our README doesn't specify this...

This convention applies also to Local/Global variables. Global variables must have an extra first letter "g" e.g. g_sVar. UDF global variables must start with an underscore e.g. $__g_sVar.
Const/Enum variables are better if they are defined in UpperCase to illustrate that they cannot be changed. First letter of the constant is optional, $e can be used.
Note: Global variables should only be used if they are called from more than one function or used in another scope. For example if the variable is only used in main scope
regardless of not in a function, then it should be declared using Local.

So you could do $__g_oXMLEvents OR $__g_oXMLWrapperEvents and that would be fine.

Edited by guinness
Changed to plain text

UDF List:

So now there is some inconsistency:

.....These are named $Debug_<UDF> although the <UDF> part .....follow the naming pattern: $__<UDF>CONSTANT_<NAME>......

and this 

This ensures there will never be a conflict with user variables of other UDF globals.

became not always true statement.

Global variables should only be used if they are called from more than one function or used in another scope. For example if the variable is only used in main scope regardless of not in a function, then it should be declared using Local.

Please add note that ErrorHandler also should be in local scope, EDIT: of course if this is official recommendation

btw.
Did you look at my implementation of LOCAL error handling   in _XMLDOMWrapperEx.au3

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Debugging is something that shouldn't be in a UDF. Anyhow, that wiki entry is created by users, for users and not the Dev team.

As for looking at your code, I have now very quickly. Something like this...

Func _XML_ArrayAdd(ByRef $avArray, $sValue)
    If IsArray($avArray) Then
        ReDim $avArray[UBound($avArray) + 1]
        $avArray[UBound($avArray) - 1] = $sValue
        Return SetError($g__eXML_ERROR_OK, 0, $g__eXML_RESULT_SUCCESS)

Else
        Return SetError($g__eXML_ERROR_GENERAL, 0, $g__eXML_RESULT_FAILURE)

EndIf

EndFunc   ;==>_XML_ArrayAdd

can be refactored to this..

Func _XML_ArrayAdd(ByRef $avArray, $sValue)
    Local $iUBound = UBound($avArray) 
    If $iUBound Then ; IsArray() only tells you if it's an array data structure and not if elements are in the array.
        ; Cache function call results, as function calls are expensive compared to variable lookups.
        ReDim $avArray[$iUBound + 1]
        $avArray[$iUBound - 1] = $sValue
        Return SetError($g__eXML_ERROR_OK, 0, $g__eXML_RESULT_SUCCESS)
    EndIf

; Else is not required, as this was always happen as a last resort.
    Return SetError($g__eXML_ERROR_GENERAL, 0, $g__eXML_RESULT_FAILURE)
EndFunc   ;==>_XML_ArrayAdd

; _XML_createAttributeute => _XML_CreateAttribute
; $strComment => $sComment
; ...

UDF List:

I start using this convention:

if variable is ObjectsCollection then variable name ends with sufix "Coll"
variable used in loops are named with sufix "_idx" like this       For $iAttribute_idx = 0 To $oAttributesColl.length - 1
variable used in loops are named with sufix "Enum" like this    For $oNodeEnum in $oNodesColl

As I hate whe the IteratedIndex or EnumeratedObjects are named like $x $i or $y ,  eventualy   $oItem,

Here  you can see some part which was totaly mess, and confusing when you try to analyze.

For $nodeOld In $oldNodes

; Create a New element
            $nodeNew = .createNode($NODE_ELEMENT, $objNewNode, $ns)

; Copy attributes
            For $nodeTemp In $nodeOld.Attributes

so for now I change it to this:

For $oNodeEnum_Old In $oNodesColl_Old
            ;Create a New element
            $oNodeNew = .createNode($NODE_ELEMENT, $oNode_NewIndicated, $sNameSpace)

;Copy attributes
            For $oAttributeEnum In $oNodeEnum_Old.Attributes

What you think about such coding practice ( I mean using "_idx" and "Enum" suffix in "For loops" ).

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I am cool with it. I would only use For.. In on objects though.

UDF List: