INFSniff & DeviceInstall

llewxam

Wow, high praise, thanks! ;)

I will look over the code you provided soon to see about your thoughts, but I do have one quick suggestion. For the moment, you could run a query on the HWIDrepository.SQLite file for the HWID of any devices that don't get installed automatically, and when you come across them use DD to do the backup, put that folder in the proper DriverPacks.net archive, and re-run the INFSniff tool to make an updated database which would now include your changes! :graduated:

I know that isn't exactly ideal, but is just another way to achieve the goal. Of course, another plug for the crew at DriverPacks.net - they have very few people who are contributing drivers, so if you find devices not supported by their packs and can be bothered to track the driver down and DD it, maybe just submit it to them for inclusion in the packs for everyone to have access to.

I again thank you for your contribution to this tool, and our previous discussion of how you made it fit your needs with the DISM injection, very cool! It is also not too late for new ideas to get included in the still-upcoming replacement to this set of tools.

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Of course, another plug for the crew at DriverPacks.net - they have very few people who are contributing drivers, so if you find devices not supported by their packs and can be bothered to track the driver down and DD it, maybe just submit it to them for inclusion in the packs for everyone to have access to.

Hmm maybe that is a new new project I could get my teath into.

I've done the downloader so maybe do the other end and make an uploader like you describe. :graduated:

If you've already started let me know so I don't re-invent-the-wheel if not and you have any ideas to help me PM me and I'll get something together.

BUT it sounds like a great idea. If all techs needed was a simple tool to upload then I'm sure there woule be more contribution to this great site. ;)

John Morrison

Hmm maybe that is a new new project I could get my teath into.

I've done the downloader so maybe do the other end and make an uploader like you describe. :graduated:

If you've already started let me know so I don't re-invent-the-wheel if not and you have any ideas to help me PM me and I'll get something together.

BUT it sounds like a great idea. If all techs needed was a simple tool to upload then I'm sure there woule be more contribution to this great site. ;)

John Morrison

Submission has always gone on VIA their forum AFAIK, maybe I'll touch base with Jeff and see if he would be interested in opening up an anon FTP for uploads for inclusion....

And, I already have that code, AND MORE, to show you, in the next evening or so I'll blow your mind a little :)

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

(insert mind blowing here)

Up to this point, the currently-available INFSniff/DeviceInstall scripts as well as the still-upcoming LSD tool are intended to carry their own bulk of driver archives and database with them, which of course has many advantages. The downside is pretty obvious though - what if what you need isn't there?? And some times techs like myself, Storme, and of course countless others on this forum and elsewhere keep having to deal with the same drivers, over and over....some you keep on a flash drive, or a CD, or your file server.....some devices you see every 2 years and think "WHY DIDN'T I SAVE THAT DRIVER??" and spend 3 hours looking for that strange FTP server in Japan that you tracked it down last time!!! :) Yeah, been there, done that, and am sick of it! :graduated:;)

SO, the idea for this script has been in my head for more years than I have used AutoIt, and I started finally coding it at least a year ago. I have spent time on it in bursts, sometimes leaving it alone for months and then working on it again, so some of the code may seem a little wonky but it is stable. The biggest reason I haven't completed it is that my office has FTP disabled in the repair room, and as this relies on FTP it is pretty much useless to me as it is at the moment and therefor motivation to keep working on it has been low.

The idea is that on the first run you help yourself and get the drivers available on the server, and they are only available if it is an exact match to the HWID, nothing generic is being allowed here. After that first run you may still have drivers missing, so you are on your own again. BUT, when you are done updating the remaining drivers you run this script again and update to the server, thereby ensuring that you never have to go through that again!! You will be helping yourself the next time Granny's machine goes down and you need the driver for that old S3 Verge IX video card, and will be helping someone else out the next time they have to reformat their laptop and need an Atheros wifi driver that they otherwise had to use 3rd party sites for.

There are numerous things still needing to be done or improved, not the least of which is the interface, but this has never left the Alpha stage so that wasn't something I put any effort in to. Also, for the script available to the public in this thread, I have removed all references to my server, usernames, and passwords. I am including a link to an archive that contains all includes and FileInstall items, and there is an obfuscated compiled version of the same code posted here that will still connect to my server for testing purposes.

http://www.llewxamnai.com/DI_O.rar

And as always, enjoy!

Ian

(/mind blown)

DI_O_007_OB.au3

My projects:

This is a interesting concept. So the drivers inf information are being pushed back into an sql database and the drivers are updating a .7z file? Is that correct?

It differs from my system where I detect a computer and sort it as desktop/laptop, manufacturer, model, OS + architecture first

eg Laptop/HP/DV 2000/WINXP_X86 and then use drivergenius to backup the drivers (uncompressed) into that folder.

Your system doesn't require third party software, doesn't care about the manufacturer and model stuff, only stores previously used drivers, which is the same as my system except without bloat and it doesn't duplicate already backed up drivers. I Like that very much!

However there is a kind of issue which is to do with Laptops and special stuff like FN Key software.

For example I have a toshiba Satelitte L640, which wireless ONLY works if you install the toshiba .exe wireless driver package from their site, (driver backup and restore doesn't work) and in order to switch wireless off and on you HAVE to install the special Value Added Package (no wlan hardware switch), which interacts with a dll file from the toshiba wireless driver exe package.

What I would do in this case for a newly recieved machine is

1) Install the operating system eg windows 7 32bit and get all drivers installed

2) Backup the machines drivers by using machinedriverbackup tool (posted on previous page). This backs up all drivers (uncompressed) to the a fileshare on the server eg \\server\drivers\Laptop\Toshiba\Satelite L640\WIN7_X86

3) Next I need to test to see how it restores, so fresh install of windows 7 in windows PE from syspreped generalised wim file, copy the drivers using pull_windows7_drivers (posted on previous page) to a folder eg c:\drivers, then using dism to inject them into the system before it boots

4) As mentioned above the wireless driver does not work so I have to manually delete the \\server\drivers\Laptop\Toshiba\Satelite L640\WIN7_X86\Net\Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter folder (for example) and then repeat step 3

5) Next setup a custom install script in a software folder and copy third party install software here eg \\server\drivers\Laptop\Toshiba\Satelite L640\WIN7_X86\Software\install.cmd, repeat step 4 and then after windows has booted test that this install.cmd script actually works

:: Wireless driver needed because contains special code to work with FN keys
"%~dp0Drivers\Atheros Wireless LAN Driver-8.0.0.258.0.s3264_wCAT\TC00190600I.exe" /S
"%~dp0Drivers\Intel Wireless LAN Driver-13.1.1.1.0.s32_wCAT\TC00280900C.exe" /S
"%~dp0Drivers\Realtek Wireless LAN Driver-2.00.0011\TC70074300F.exe" /S
:: Mouse driver software which has additional features like sensitivity response
"%~dp0Drivers\Synaptics Touch Pad Driver-15.0.8.1\TC70076800G.exe" /S
:: FN Key Stuff
"%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA Value Added Package-1.3.2\TC00290000B.exe" /S
:: Network and Wireless diagnostics
"%~dp0Utilities\ConfigFree-8.0.28\TC00163700Z.exe" /S
:: Toshiba Hardware settings (Can change BIOS stuff)
"%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA HW Setup Utility-4.3.2.0\TC70080000B.exe" /S
:: Health monitor (useful for diagnosing potential hardware issues)
"%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor-1.6.0.0\TC00148300X.exe" /S
:: accept license
reg import "%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor-1.6.0.0\registration.reg"
:: Battery and power save settings
"%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA eco Utility-1.2.7.0\TC00148201A.exe" /S
:: accept license
reg import "%~dp0Utilities\TOSHIBA eco Utility-1.2.7.0\registration.reg"

6) After all tested and working, if we ever got the same machine it is a simple process to restore this machine with a single wim file and using the above system, which is fully automated

If you were to implement something like a backup-software-as-well package it would be nice to integrate all these software packages and install script into the database, but I am fairly convinced you would have to detect the motherboard and manufacturer as well, which means using CPUZ. It would also add a lot of complexity in the code, well that is coding I guess...

Thats if you use third party! most techs don't!

Maybe we should just make our own site where we can backup all our drivers to and share them with the community using this tool. It sounds very easy and if we can fine tune it to be very specific and get the right driver everytime that will make everyones life easier? Just putting ideas out there

• 2 weeks later...

Hi llewxam

anytime i try to run infsniff i get this error

2011-10-28 15:35:41 : Sucessfull : 7z.exe x "C:\Users\Sony Centre\Desktop\gui extend\infsniff\Nt5\DP_CPU_wnt5_x86-32_1005.7z" -o"C:\Users\SONYCE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\tssmryw" *.inf -r -y

2011-10-28 15:35:41 : Fatal error: 7z.exe x "" -o"C:\Users\SONYCE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\tssmryw" *.inf -r -y

any ideas?

thanks

jamie

Drunken Frat-Boy Monkey Garbage

• 5 months later...

REQUIREMENTS:

Download the drivers from http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest for the type of Windows install you want.

If you are compiling DeviceInstall from the source, you must have the following files in the script directory:

DeviceAPI.AU3 available at http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index....ex.php?showtopic=77731&hl=devi (I am using Alpha6, latest as of posting)

7z.exe (I am using V4.65.0.0)

7z.dll (I am using V4.65.0.0) (both can be pulled from the 7z installation folder)

dpinst.exe (32 and 64 bit versions) as well as dpinst.xml (I am using V2.1.0.0 available as part of Windows Driver Kit Version 7.1.0 available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...yID=36a2630f-5d56-43b5-b996-76)

*name the 64 bit build of dpinst as "dpinst64.exe"

dpinst.exe > dfx_x86fre_cab001.cab > _dpinst.exe_00005 > dpinst.exe

dpinst.exe > dfx_x64fre_cab001.cab > _dpinst.exe_00005 > dpinst64.exe

dpinst.xml > setupsamples_cab001.cab > _dpinst.xml_00021

Edited by Raik

AutoIt-Syntaxsheme for Proton & Phase5 * Firefox Addons by me (resizable Textarea 0.1d) (docked JS-Console 0.1.1)

• 1 year later...

Hi again

I would like to modify the script to support Windows7 and Windows8.

For example if we extract DP_LAN_wnt6-x86_1208x86

It has these folders

-All

-Server

-Vista

-Win7

-Win8

I would like a way to determine the OS with @OSVersion and then determine which folder to use and not use.

For example if it was Windows 7, use only the 'All' and 'Win7' folder

Windows 8, use only the 'All' and 'Win8' folder

At the moment my knowledge of the SQL database is not good, so if you could help me to debug and read the values from the sql lite database this will help to make the modifications.

Additionally this script should not be compiled with v3.3.8.1 as it has issues, so I would like to identify and fix that.

If you have already made some modifications please let me know, otherwise I will work away and try to share with you guys any mods I make (may take a while)

Kind regards

I'll try to make some time to look in to this for you, I still find myself using this tool once in a blue moon but less often all the time and I haven't even bothered to update my own driver packs in literally years..  Really, Win7 and 8 are so good at device detection and installation from the initial install and through Windows Update that is is really only useful (to me) on XP, and since I find myself having to deal with that less and less these days, not so sure how valuable any modifications would be for 7 and 8.  But, as I said, I will try to make some time to look at this.

Ian

My projects: