INFSniff & DeviceInstall

llewxam

Definitely, I have wanted the same thing many times! I am picturing a GUI that has a countdown of maybe 10 seconds, and if nothing is selected by then than all drivers are loaded. I would put in a checkbox for each class type. I would rather get it out of the way before the ball got rolling, rather than having to choose after the scan is done.

Sounds like a great idea! I was wondering how to keep "Automatic" nature of infsniff and still give options to the user.

A Countdown is perfect. :unsure:

Have Fun!

Storm-E

aka

John Morrison

My colleagues love it too.... has kinda made them lazy.

:unsure:

Thanks!

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Sounds like a great idea! I was wondering how to keep "Automatic" nature of infsniff and still give options to the user.

A Countdown is perfect. :unsure:

Have Fun!

Storm-E

aka

John Morrison

Good, glad to have a little feedback on that. Since I use this for my images as well as manual runs I need it to remain automatic - no sense in automating a process that you have to click to get going!

Did you change anything to the update code since the last version you sent me? Of course shoot me an update to the updater if there is one.

(Sheesh, I feel like Microsoft now - putting out Microsoft Update to update the Windows Update updater.... LOL)

Also, Danny35d's network tweak works great! I did try something similar a long time ago but must have botched it because this works really well!

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Thanks Danny35 and llewxam, network is working well.

If a technician want to select only certain driverpacks to install, then this would require a kind of generated GUI. This means that a different application should be written, otherwise implement the countdown option and have a seperate Tab, where if clicked customisable options can be used, either through tickboxes or drop down lists.

Edited by NDog

Thanks Danny35 and llewxam, network is working well.

If a technician want to select only certain driverpacks to install, then this would require a kind of generated GUI. This means that a different application should be written, otherwise implement the countdown option and have a seperate Tab, where if clicked customisable options can be used, either through tickboxes or drop down lists.

hehe, already done! :unsure: MUCH work has to be done still though, so don't hold your breath waiting for the new version. It may still be a couple weeks away, but the above is already finished, and did NOT require a new app, just one additional window.

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• 4 months later...

Hi,

These tools are gr8 and worked when I used them the first time, but now when I try to run the DeviceInstall.exe i get the following message...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Line 3240 (File "blabla\DeviceInstall.exe"):

Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

I click OK and it closes. I have all the correct files in the correct locations, I have tried running locally from my desktop and from my nas, both do the same. I haven't changed the scripts so maby i'm doing something wrong?

I am using win 7 x64 and have tried compiling to both x86 and x64 - both give same error. I know it defo works tho 'cos it worked the first time.

I know this post it about 4 months old now but these scripts are brilliant and I appreciate the work that has gone into them

Thanks

Hi,

These tools are gr8 and worked when I used them the first time, but now when I try to run the DeviceInstall.exe i get the following message...

Line 3240 (File "blabla\DeviceInstall.exe"):

Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

I click OK and it closes. I have all the correct files in the correct locations, I have tried running locally from my desktop and from my nas, both do the same. I haven't changed the scripts so maby i'm doing something wrong?

I am using win 7 x64 and have tried compiling to both x86 and x64 - both give same error. I know it defo works tho 'cos it worked the first time.

I know this post it about 4 months old now but these scripts are brilliant and I appreciate the work that has gone into them

Thanks

Glad to hear you like them, sorry to hear they aren't working! :mellow:

When you say you are running it from your NAS, do you have that set up as a mapped drive? I have a NAS as well so could test my theory, but I am pretty sure that if it is not set up as a mapped drive then that could be your failure point. Although, since you say it fails at the desktop as well, that makes me kinda confused. All I can think of for that is for you to create a new folder, copy in some DriverPacks, and run INFSniff from scratch. See if that does the trick.

Good luck!

Ian

My projects:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am not mapping the drive so I guess this is my problem regards the nas.

On the local machine I have re downloaded everything into a new folder, and I run the InfSniff and it then says the output has been saved etc, so then i run the deviceinstall.exe and I get the same error. I have tried it locally on another machine which has has a clean install of 32-bit vista, and it says no drivers have been found even though I have definitly got the drivers in the correct folder for this machine. Is it something i'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Just to make sure I understand everything - have you compiled both scripts? If you can successfully compile them both then I know that you have all required files such as the 3 dpinst files - without those the drivers can not be installed, and the script would probably crash due to a FileInstall error.

Thinking about it, try running DeviceInstall from SciTE, so when the script fails you will be able to check the console for informatrion! :mellow:

The only other way I know that DeviceInstall will fail is if it is run in a folder that does not contain HWIDrepository.sqlite so make sure of that as well.

Let me know if you have any success!

Ian

My projects:

Hi, yeh they all compile fine & I do have the HWIDrepository.sqlite

I ran the DeviceInstall from SciTE as you suggested and I get the following output...

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Users\user\Desktop\DrvInst\DeviceInstall.au3" /autoit3dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3" /UserParams   
+>13:45:00 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.3.0    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64)
>Running Tidy (2.2.1.0)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\tidy
+>13:45:00 Tidy ended.rc:0
>Running AU3Check (1.54.19.0)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3
+>13:45:00 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.6.1):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Users\user\Desktop\DrvInst\DeviceInstall.au3"   
C:\Users\user\Desktop\DrvInst\DeviceInstall.au3 (77) : ==> Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:
If $description[3] <> "" Then
If ^ ERROR
->13:45:01 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:1
>Exit code: 1    Time: 2.290

Im afraid I dont understand what it means but maby you can get something from this.

Thanks

$description[3] refers to the HWID string of one of your devices - you may have something proprietary like a PatinCouffin driver for a video editing app, or just something kinda wacky. This should get you past the error:

Line 74 starts a For - Next loop, delete that loop and replace it with this:

For $b = 1 To $HWIDArray[0]
$description = StringSplit($HWIDArray[$b], Chr(2))
If $description[0] > 2 Then
If $description[3] <> "" Then
$actualHWID = StringSplit($description[3], Chr(3))
For $c = 1 To $actualHWID[0] - 1
If StringInStr($actualHWID[$c], $generic) Then
$matches &= $description[1] & Chr(2) & $description[2] & Chr(2) & $localHWID[$a] & Chr(3)
ContinueLoop (2)
EndIf
Next
EndIf
EndIf
Next

All I did was put a check to see how many elements are in the $description array, and if less than 3 skip the part that was giving you trouble. Let me know if it helps!

Thanks

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

Hi, thanks for that, It seems to be working ok now without any error messages, the only thing thats happening now is that it says there are no drivers available for ma computer but there is defo the correct driver in the pack. Do you know why it myt be saying this please?

I appreciate your help,

Thanks

hrm, at that point it becomes an issue of generic vs specific drivers. When you look at a HWID string, each & makes the "fingerprint" more specific. If you were to Google one of your devices' HWID, you might find exactly the right thing, maybe not. At that point, you could trim off the farthest right part, like &SUBSYS or better &REV. Each time the results will get larger, but less accurate. When you get down to just Ven and Dev you are as generic as possible, and that is the way my app works - the $specific string was put in IN CASE I ever got around to looking for more exact matches. In fact, I have, but not in this app, it is being replaced at some point by a much better tool!

If you have added what you think to be the right driver in to your collection of archives and it is still not being installed by my tool, all you can really do is try installing it manually, or doing the above Google searches. Alternately, you might want to try visiting www.driverpacks.net and searching their forum for the HWID of the device that is fighting you.

Good luck! This is a small taste of what I do all day long! :mellow:

Ian

My projects:

Since this Thread is bumped.

I have a device that all kinds of incorrect drivers associated with it. Is there any way I can use this to get shut of them?

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Since this Thread is bumped.

I have a device that all kinds of incorrect drivers associated with it. Is there any way I can use this to get shut of them?

That really depends on what the device is. Could you post the HWID for the device so I can have a look?

Alternately, you could use a SQL browser and query the SQLite database that INFSniff generates and see if your VEN and Dev strings are matched. But please do feel free to just paste it here, just letting you know that there is a way to check it yourself....

Ian

My projects:

Thanks for your reply Ian, and thread hospitality.

The hwids I get are

USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0B0D&REV_0000

USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0B0D

Its a phone I use for internet access, my woes about it can be found

I'm not expecting anything magic, I usually find that a fresh install is the only way to sort matters such as this.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Well, my suggestions won't be the easiest things to go through, but, whoever said these things make life easier was a liar anyway! :)

OK, first thing, get Double Driver, http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm and run it on the laptop, WITH the phone attached and happy. Click Backup at the top, Scan Current System, under Select choose All in case you can't identify just the right files, and click Backup Now. Burn to disc or use a flash drive to get those files over to the PC. Now plug the phone up to the PC and let Windows detect it, open the Device Manager and browse to the phone. Go to Driver, then Update Driver. Browse My Computer, Let Me Pick, and Have Disk. Browse to where your Double Driver files are. NOW comes one of the trickier bits since I don't exactly know what it will be called. The phone "SHOULD" be part of the Net hardware class, so you should have the proper files listed somewhere under the Net folder and there "OUGHT" to be a folder called Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter. If all goes well, that location will have the right files to get the phone working on the PC.

If it doesn't work but you DO have the folders specified above, PM me the INF file(s) present and I will modify them for you to try to allow your phone to work, but I think this should do the trick.

The only way for my tool to help you is more for the future - if this (or any other....) fix works, use Double Driver again to save all drivers from your system and then use 7Zip to make an archive of all of your drivers. My INFSniff can then add your custom pack to its HWID repository and you will have them for later! :mellow:

GOOD LUCK!

Ian

My projects:

• 1 month later...

I really like your tool and am using it BIG time and am using a modified code for windows 7 DISM injection and windows XP mini setup. My life is easy because of such a wonderful tool.

Since you mention something about using double driver, and being able to backup drivers to 7z I would like you to have a look at this code and see if you can use it to benefit you. Ideally I would like to be able to make my own .7z repositories to work with your tool, however I am simply backing up every model of machine we get in our workshop and using driverforge (windows xp) and dism (windows 7) to install drivers post sysprep deploy.

My code will allow you to get a new machine and then backup the drivers from it

It uses double driver, drivergeniuspro and CPUZ. The beauty of it is it works in windows PE since it uses CPUZ to get information about the motherboard. It will backup the drivers into the appropriate folders and give you a nice database of all your drivers. However I would like to have another kind of script that could then go and push all the drivers into a 7z file and use your tool (to save space mainly)!

Regards

MultiFileCopy.au3

CPUgetinfo.au3

machinedriverbackupx64.au3

machinedriverbackupx86.au3

mmb.au3

mmb_cpux64.au3

mmb_cpux86.au3

pulldrivers_win7_x64.au3

pulldrivers_win7_x86.au3

pulldrivers_winxp_x86.au3