COM object datatype issue

I have a COM object that works great in VBScript because two of the parameters on the method call require the vbDate format. So all the VBScript date functions work great. You can see where I'm going with this. AutoIT date functions are based on the string datatype which won't work with the COM method. Am I out of luck in using this COM object with AutoIT?

Are you defining the to specify the vbDate format, or trying to create the actual value? Post a short demo script to illustrate what you are trying to do.

:unsure:

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

This function returns a date in vbDate format which is basically the number of days since 1900/01/01 00:00:00 as a variant data type.

There is probably a WinAPI function that does this somewhere.

#include <date.au3>

$Date =  vbDate()
MsgBox(262144,"",'$Date' & @lf & @lf & 'Return:' & @lf & $Date) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Func vbDate()
Local $vbDate

$vbDate =  _DateDiff("D","1900/01/01",_NowCalc()) + ((_DateDiff("s",_NowCalcDate() & " 00:00:00",_NowCalc())+(@MSEC/1000)) / (24*60*60))

Return $vbDate

EndFunc

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

This function returns a date in vbDate format which is basically the number of days since 1900/01/01 00:00:00 as a variant data type.

There is probably a WinAPI function that does this somewhere.

#include <date.au3>

$Date =  vbDate()
MsgBox(262144,"",'$Date' & @lf & @lf & 'Return:' & @lf & $Date) ;### Debug MSGBOX

Func vbDate()
Local $vbDate

$vbDate =  _DateDiff("D","1900/01/01",_NowCalc()) + ((_DateDiff("s",_NowCalcDate() & " 00:00:00",_NowCalc())+(@MSEC/1000)) / (24*60*60))

Return $vbDate

EndFunc

I'm actually trying to assign the start and end date/time values. I'm assigning the values in the following format: 5/6/2011 4:00:00 PM

Currently this is how I'm assigning the values.

#include <date.au3>
$Start = _Now()
$Expire = _DateTimeFormat(_DateAdd("M", 15, _NowCalc()), 0)

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the date values because I have another method in the COM object that works fine via AutoIT. The only difference is that this method uses date values. I also went back to the working VBScript and changed the date values into strings which caused the same COM error that AutoIT showed. Error 80020009, The parameter is incorrect. Which lead me down the datatype issue.

Put a msgbox in the vbscript and print the date and we will see what is the format of the parameter.

Also keep in mind that your date formats may and will be dependant on your computer regional settings.

Haven't tested, but I expect the method descripbed here will work for you and will give you an AutoIt variable that can be used in your COM function call. "Nothing (VB/VBScript constant) in AutoIt "

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Haven't tested, but I expect the method descripbed here will work for you and will give you an AutoIt variable that can be used in your COM function call. "Nothing (VB/VBScript constant) in AutoIt "

Dale

I already validated that the VBScript date/time format is exactly the same as my AutoIT (date) string counterpart using msgbox. The only difference is the datatype. I had also found that link about the VBScript Nothing constant and tried something similar with no luck. Here is the code I used to try and get the date/time using ScriptControl.

Local $oVBS = ObjCreate("ScriptControl")
$oVBS.language = "VBScript"
Global Const $VBNow = $oVBS.eval("Now")
$oVBS = 0

Then using $VBNow in both the start and expire parameters but it still tells me incorrect parameter. I also tried using "Now+30" for the expire just in case it didn't like being the same date/time for both start and expire but it didn't help.

I doubt anyone has experience with this COM but it's actually the tsmediaapi.dll from the SCCM 2007 SDK and the method I'm calling is CreateBootMedia(). Here is an excerpt from the SDK help documentation on the two date params CertValidStart and CertValidEnd.

CertValidStart

Data type: VARIANT

Qualifiers: [in]

Pointer to the time when a newly created certificate starts being valid.

CertValidEnd

Data type: VARIANT

Qualifiers: [in]

Pointer to the time when the newly created certificate stops being valid.

Can you show us the VBS ?

The script control example works for me - i get "20110509181728" for example.

Happy to include the working VBScript though you'll need an SCCM 2007 infrastructure for the code to work. This Sub is straight out of the SDK help documentation. The example they give uses "Now" and "Now+30" for the start and expire.

CreateBootMedia "SCCMSiteServerName", "SCCMSiteCode", "SCCMDistributionPoint", "", "SCCM", "CD", "C:\test.iso", "SCCMBootImagePackageID", "p@ssword"

Sub CreateBootMedia (providerName, _
        siteCode,           _
        distributionPoints, _
        connectionOptions,  _
        mediaLabel,         _
        mediaType,          _
        destinationPath,    _
        bootImageID,        _
        mediaPassword)

Dim tsmedia
    Dim hr

Set tsmedia = CreateObject("Microsoft.ConfigMgr.TsMedia")

' Change these properties according to your configuration.
    tsmedia.ProviderName = providerName
    tsmedia.SiteCode = siteCode
    tsmedia.DistributionPoints = distributionPoints
    tsmedia.ConnectionOptions = connectionOptions
    tsmedia.MediaLabel = mediaLabel

hr = tsmedia.CreateBootMedia( mediaType, _
                destinationPath,  _
                bootImageID,      _
                mediaPassword,    _
                Null,             _
                Null,             _
                Now,              _
                Now+30,           _
                true)

While tsmedia.Status = 0
          WScript.Echo tsmedia.CurrentStep & "/" & tsmedia.NumSteps & _
           "  (" & tsmedia.StepProgress & ")  " & tsmedia.StepInfo
          WScript.Sleep 1000
    Wend

WScript.Echo "Boot media creation finished with result = " & tsmedia.ExitCode

End Sub

Originally I thought it was the Null values that were throwing the exception and perhaps they still are. I've tried "", Chr(0), 0, Default, and the ScriptControl method above for the VBScript "Null" but I still receieved the same exception so I started looking at the date values instead.

@Cyri, you misunderstood parameters. Pass pointer to variant with the time.

I've tried different combinations using Ptr() to convert the date/time expression into a pointer variant with no success. Odd thing is that even the mediaPassword (see VBS example) parameter is listed as a pointer variant in the SDK help, but a string value works fine there.

I've tried different combinations using Ptr() to convert the date/time expression into a pointer variant with no success. Odd thing is that even the mediaPassword (see VBS example) parameter is listed as a pointer variant in the SDK help, but a string value works fine there.

That's because you don't know what VBS engine does with your parameters internally. Besides, saying VARIANT pretty much covers everything. You'll learn.

I may be wrong, but as far as I can tell Ptr() function might return the expression as a pointer vairiant but it does noy actually return a pointer to the value of the expression (if that makes sense)

You may have to create a DllStruct, add the data, get a pointer to it.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Well . prev post didnt had full example.

Here is one:

$time = DllStructCreate("char var[128]")
DllStructSetData($time,"var",_Now())
$timepointer = DllStructGetPtr($time)
$major = DllStructGetData($time,1)
ConsoleWrite($major&@CRLF)
ConsoleWrite($timepointer&@CRLF)

So i think passing $timepointer to the function should work.

I tried passing in $timepointer but now I'm getting 80020008, Bad variable type. When you guys start going into DllStruct's I get lost so I'm araid I can't be much help here. :unsure:

Well I dont know what a VARIANT type is, but if it were me, My next attempt would be to use that Ptr() Function on the $timepointer variable.

It might turn out to be a ridiculous suggestion but it cant hurt.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Well I dont know what a VARIANT type is, but if it were me, My next attempt would be to use that Ptr() Function on the $timepointer variable.

It might turn out to be a ridiculous suggestion but it cant hurt.

I'm willing to try anything at this point, but sadly I get the same bad variable type message when using Ptr($timepointer). One thing I found interesting, now that I'm getting the bad variable type message I'm getting 4 seperate COM exceptions with that same message. Does that mean 4 of the parameters are bad type?

This is how the date will be created with WinAPI, but I don't know if it will work.

#include<Date.au3>

Dim $aDate, $aTime
_DateTimeSplit(_NowCalc(), $aDate, $aTime)

$tSystemTime = _Date_Time_EncodeSystemTime($adate[2], $aDate[3], $aDate[1], $aTime[1], $aTime[2], $aTime[3])
$pSystemTime = DllStructGetPtr($tSystemTime)
$aVarTime = DllCall("oleaut32.dll", "int", "SystemTimeToVariantTime", "ptr", $pSystemTime, "double*", 0)

$nTimeAsDouble = $aVarTime[2]

$tsmedia.CreateBootMedia( mediaType, _
                destinationPath,  _
                bootImageID,      _
                mediaPassword,    _
                Null,             _
                Null,             _
                $nTimeAsDouble,              _
                ...,           _
                true)

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes