Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
therks

Exit code + StdoutRead/StderrRead

4 posts in this topic

Is there any way to retrieve the exit code from a process while also being able to use StdoutRead/StderrRead?

Have a look at this example that pulled from this and edited.

Example.au3

#include <Constants.au3>
#include "ProcessExitCode.au3"

$iPid = Run(@ComSpec & ' /c dir /g', @WindowsDir, @SW_SHOW, $STDERR_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD)
$hHandle = _ProcessGetHandle($iPid)
ShowStdOutErr($hHandle)
$iExitCode = _ProcessGetExitCode($iPid)
_ProcessCloseHandle($hHandle)
MsgBox(0, "Program returned with exit code:", $iExitCode)

$iPid = Run(@ComSpec & ' /c dir', @WindowsDir, @SW_SHOW, $STDERR_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD)
$hHandle = _ProcessGetHandle($iPid)
ShowStdOutErr($hHandle)
$iExitCode = _ProcessGetExitCode($hHandle)
_ProcessCloseHandle($hHandle)
MsgBox(0, "Program returned with exit code:", $iExitCode)

Func ShowStdOutErr($l_Handle, $ShowConsole = 1)
    Local $Line, $tot_out, $err1 = 0, $err2 = 0
    Do
        Sleep(10)
        $Line = StdoutRead($l_Handle)
        $err1 = @error
        $tot_out &= $Line
        If $ShowConsole Then ConsoleWrite($Line)
        $Line = StderrRead($l_Handle)
        $err2 = @error
        $tot_out &= $Line
        If $ShowConsole Then ConsoleWrite($Line)
    Until $err1 And $err2
    Return $tot_out
EndFunc   ;==>ShowStdOutErr

ProcessExitCode.au3

#include-once
; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _ProcessGetHandle()
; Description ...: Returns a handle from use of Run().
; Syntax.........: _ProcessGetHandle($iPID)
; Parameters ....: $iPID - ProcessID returned from a Run() execution
; Return values .: On Success - Returns Process handle while Run() is executing (use above directly after Run() line with only PID parameter)
;                 On Failure - 0
; Author ........: MHz (Thanks to DaveF for posting these DllCalls in Support Forum)
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _ProcessGetHandle($iPID) ;Return handle of given PID
    Local Const $PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION = 0x0400
    Local $avRET = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "ptr", "OpenProcess", "int", $PROCESS_QUERY_INFORMATION, "int", 0, "int", $iPID)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Else
        Return $avRET[0]
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_ProcessGetHandle

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _ProcessCloseHandle()
; Description ...: Closes a handle from use of Run().
; Syntax.........: _ProcessCloseHandle($hProc)
; Parameters ....: $hProc - Process handle
; Return values .: On Success - Closes Process handle after a Run() has executed.;
; Author ........: MHz (Thanks to DaveF for posting these DllCalls in Support Forum), PsaltyDS
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _ProcessCloseHandle($hProc) ;Close process handle
    Local $avRET = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CloseHandle", "ptr", $hProc)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Else
        Return 1
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_ProcessCloseHandle

; Name...........: _ProcessGetExitCode()
; Description ...: Returns a handle/exitcode from use of Run().
; Syntax.........: _ProcessGetExitCode($hProc)
; Parameters ....: $hProc   - Process handle
; Return values .: On Success - Returns Process Exitcode when Process does not exist.
; Author ........: MHz (Thanks to DaveF for posting these DllCalls in Support Forum), PsaltyDS
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
Func _ProcessGetExitCode($hProc) ;Get process exit code from handle
    Local $t_ExitCode = DllStructCreate("int")
    Local $avRET = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "GetExitCodeProcess", "ptr", $hProc, "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($t_ExitCode))
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    Else
        Return DllStructGetData($t_ExitCode, 1)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_ProcessGetExitCode

Adam

Thanks, that works perfectly. And I can use _WinAPI_OpenProcess() and _WinAPI_CloseHandle() from the WinAPI.au3 include. Sorry for the horrendous reply time, I don't get back here often.

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

This a simpler quick and dirty way

FileDelete("C:\temp\errorlevel.txt")

$file = fileopen(@TempDir & "\CMD.bat",2)
FileWrite($file,"start /wait c:\temp\test2.exe" & @CRLF)
FileWrite($file,"echo %errorlevel% > C:\temp\errorlevel.txt" & @CRLF)
FileClose($file)

$PID = run(@TempDir & "\CMD.bat")

While ProcessExists($PID)
wend

$file = fileopen("C:\temp\errorlevel.txt",0)
msgbox(0,"",fileread($file))
fileclose($file)
Edited by castens

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• fosil
      OnAutoItExitRegister not working
      By fosil
      Hi all,

I'm working on a relatively complex automation program and I need it to call a specific function when it is closed by a user. Ive resorted to "OnAutoItExitRegister" as i believe that's the only option available.

This command works perfectly fine in a small scale test application I wrote, but once implemented in the final program that's much larger and divided over many files in many directories it no longer works. I don't get any error messages.

My question is has anyone encountered an issue where implementation of this command in a large scale program gave them trouble? Does it matter where "OnAutoItExitRegister" is called and where the function is located? Currently they are both places in the main file that runs the whole program but it still doesn't work.

Any help is appreciated
    • dubi
      Interprocess communcation breaks down with StdinWrite and StdoutRead
      By dubi
      Hi,

Background: i have a number of instances of the same application that I want to automate in parallel.

Unfortunately, I cannot completely automate these instances in the background. So, from time to time these instances need to have the focus so that I can interact with the controls via “send” directly.

Each of the application instances is controlled by a au3 complied script. Each script (called with a parameter) manages the automation of the respective application-instance. Each of the (complied) script (instances) is called by a (central) front end with a gui. The front end controls if the “focus” is available to do the “send” and “mouseclick” modifications. The central front end either allows a child to have the focus or prevents it to get the focus (in which case the child will wait and checks again). The code for the front end is included. Apologies for the lengthy explanation.

#RequireAdmin #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <GUIEdit.au3> #include <ScrollBarConstants.au3> #include <Array.au3> Global Const $APF_ALLOWMULTILINE = 1 Global Const $APF_RIGHTALIGN = 6 Global Const $APF_RIGHTALIGNCOL = 2 Global Const $APF_RIGHTALIGNDATA = 4 Global Const $APF_PRINTROWNUM = 8 Global Const $APF_DEFAULT = $APF_PRINTROWNUM Global $PID[9], $FocusAvailable = True, $previousEditMsg Global $PID_waiting[0][2], $logfile $logfile = "D:\MultiInstance\Logfiles\FrontEnd.txt" If FileExists($logfile) Then FileDelete($logfile) #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form= $hGui_1 = GUICreate("Instanzenmanager", 493, 1226, 1807, 93) $grpInst1 = GUICtrlCreateGroup(" 1 ", 8, 8, 233, 121) $btnPause01 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Pause", 16, 64, 50, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $tbnStop01 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Stop", 16, 96, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnMin01 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Minimize", 72, 64, 66, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnWdh01 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Restore", 144, 64, 90, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnStart01 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start", 16, 32, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00) GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1) $grpInst3 = GUICtrlCreateGroup(" 3 ", 8, 136, 233, 121) $btnPause03 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Pause", 16, 192, 50, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $tbnStop03 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Stop", 16, 224, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnMin03 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Minimize", 72, 192, 66, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnWdh03 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Restore", 144, 192, 90, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnStart03 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start", 16, 160, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00) GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1) $grpInst2 = GUICtrlCreateGroup(" 2 ", 248, 8, 233, 121) $btnPause02 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Pause", 256, 64, 50, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $tbnStop02 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Stop", 256, 96, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnMin02 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Minimize", 312, 64, 66, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnWdh02 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Restore", 384, 64, 90, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnStart02 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start", 256, 32, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00) GUICtrlCreateGroup("", -99, -99, 1, 1) $grpInst4 = GUICtrlCreateGroup(" 4 ", 248, 136, 233, 121) $btnPause04 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Pause", 256, 192, 50, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $tbnStop04 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Stop", 256, 224, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnMin04 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Minimize", 312, 192, 66, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnWdh04 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Restore", 384, 192, 90, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnStart04 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start", 256, 160, 218, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x00FF00) $Edit1 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 8, 720, 473, 497) $btnPauseAll = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Pause all", 8, 656, 474, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) $btnStopAll = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Stop all", 7, 688, 474, 25, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_CHECKBOX, $BS_PUSHLIKE)) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### While 1 CheckGuiMsg() FileWrite($logfile, @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "> " & "CheckGuiMsg" & @CRLF) CheckClientMessages() FileWrite($logfile, @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "> " & "CheckClientMessages" & @CRLF) WEnd Func CheckGuiMsg() $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $btnStart01 AddTextToEdit("Starting Instance 1") $PID[0] = Run("D:\XVM05\Entwicklung_FilterTest_Multi_ToFileV001.exe 1", @ScriptDir, Default, 3) Case $btnStart02 AddTextToEdit("Starting Instance 2") $PID[1] = Run("D:\XVM05\Entwicklung_FilterTest_Multi_ToFileV001.exe 2", @ScriptDir, Default, 3) Case $btnStart03 AddTextToEdit("Starting Instance 3") $PID[2] = Run("D:\XVM05\Entwicklung_FilterTest_Multi_ToFileV001.exe 3", @ScriptDir, Default, 3) Case $btnStart04 AddTextToEdit("Starting Instance 4") $PID[3] = Run("D:\XVM05\Entwicklung_FilterTest_Multi_ToFileV001.exe 4", @ScriptDir, Default, 3) Case $btnPause01 AddTextToEdit("Send Pause to Instance 1") StdinWrite($PID[0], "Pause") Case $btnPause02 StdinWrite($PID[1], "Pause") Case $btnPause03 StdinWrite($PID[2], "Pause") Case $btnPause04 StdinWrite($PID[3], "Pause") Case $tbnStop01 StdinWrite($PID[0], "Stop") Case $tbnStop02 StdinWrite($PID[1], "Stop") Case $tbnStop03 StdinWrite($PID[2], "Stop") Case $tbnStop04 StdinWrite($PID[3], "Stop") Case $btnPauseAll AddTextToEdit(@CRLF & "************Pause All not yet implemented**************" & @CRLF) Case $btnStopAll AddTextToEdit(@CRLF & "************Stop All not yet implemented***************" & @CRLF) EndSwitch EndFunc ;==>CheckGuiMsg Func CheckClientMessages() For $i = 0 To 3 FileWrite($logfile, @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "> " & $i & @CRLF) Local $a = TimerInit() $p = $PID[$i] $streamRead = StdoutRead($p) If $streamRead <> "" Then Switch $streamRead Case StringInStr($streamRead, "Focus Needed") > 0 If $FocusAvailable Then $FocusAvailable = False StdinWrite($p, "Focus Granted") Else EndIf Case StringInStr($streamRead, "Release Focus") > 0 StdinWrite($p, "Release Focus Received") $FocusAvailable = True Case Else EndSwitch EndIf FileWrite($logfile, @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "> " & $i & " " & round(TimerDiff($a),2) & @CRLF) Next EndFunc ;==>CheckClientMessages Func AddTextToEdit($text) If $previousEditMsg <> $text Then $previousEditMsg = $text GUICtrlSetData($Edit1, GUICtrlRead($Edit1) & @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & " - " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & "> " & $text & @CRLF) _GUICtrlEdit_Scroll($Edit1, $SB_SCROLLCARET) EndIf EndFunc ;==>AddTextToEdit

My issue now is that the mechanism with with StdoutRead and StdinWrite is not efficient at all. The more instances I start the slower it gets. This is not just a bit slower (like a fraction of a second), but to the degree that the front end is not responding at all any longer (with 3 instances handling).

So my questions are:

1.       Is there a flaw in my implementation with StdoutRead and StdinWrite? (note that all works fine with 1 and also (slower) with 2 instances running) but actually breaks down with 3 instances running.

2.       Can I optimize the currently used implementation so that I can control 30+ instances?

3.       What other implementation do you see suitable for this approach?

a.       I have already tried it with communication through files but observed that this is not sufficiently reliable with multiple instances.

b.       Is Named Pipes a more performant approach (I am a bit scared of the effort to learn and implement this)

c.       Any other method?

Many thanks in advance

-dubi

• Masum
      Exit / Stop Script
      By Masum
      Hi all,
      Ctrl+Break stops script only if AutoIt window is active. It doesn't work while automation is going on elsewhere.
      Is there a way to stop the script regardless of where the automation is happening?
      Thanks
    • crushyna
      Error check implementation (problem with loop exit)
      By crushyna
      Hi everyone!
      I'm developing small testing tool for new software in my company.
      Tool itself is working correctly (it follows scripted test commands one by one), but I'm trying to develop an error checking function.

Mechanics are simple: every time software (external) shows specific error (via window class), program asks for next step. Continue, or abort test (and return to main GUI)?
      The error check function is switched on/off via Checkbox in GUI.

Here are some code fragments:

Checkbox:
      Global $idCheckbox1 = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Enable TP.net error handling", 352, 40, 249, 17) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Calibri") GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0x000000)  
      Checkbox switch:
      GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) Local $Choosen While 1 Switch GUIGetMsg() Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE ExitLoop Case $idCheckbox1 If _IsChecked($idCheckbox1) Then $cSwitch1 = 1 Else $cSwitch1 = 0 EndIf Case $idAddTest (and so on...)  
      Function call:
      (alot of ElseIf commands...) ElseIf $aItem = $idOperatorIn Then WywolanieOkna() WinActivate($hFSO) ControlClick($hFSO, "", "[NAME:lblCashierNumber]") Sleep($Sleep_05) Send("0000019{Enter}19{Enter 2}") Sleep($Sleep_75) EndIf #EndRegion ### START ELSEIF ARMY ### Next If $cSwitch1 = 1 Then MsgBox( 0, "Error check!", "Error check ON!") /// just for testing purposes CheckError() Else Return EndIf EndSwitch WEnd
      Classic _IsChecked function:
      Func _IsChecked($idControlID) Return BitAND(GUICtrlRead($idControlID), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED EndFunc ;==>_IsChecked  
      And Checkerror() function itself:
      Func CheckError() Local $Answer If ControlCommand($hMsgPanel, "", "[NAME:panelMsgBox]", "IsEnabled", "") Then ;~ Sleep($Sleep_05) $Answer = MsgBox(52, "Error!", "An error occured! Continue testing?") ;~ Sleep($Sleep_05) Switch $Answer Case 6 MsgBox(0, "Error!", "Test will now continue.", 3) Send("{Enter}") WinActivate($hWnd) Return Case 7 MsgBox(64, "Error!", "Test cancelled.", 5) $ElseIfArmyOff = 1 ControlClick($hMsgPanel, "", "[NAME:cmdOK]") WinActivate($AppName) #cs MsgBox( 0, "test1", $idTSList) Local $idTSListCopy For $i = 0 to _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($idTSList) - 1\ #ce $idTSListCopy = _GUICtrlListView_GetItemTextString($idTestCaseList, $LoopCount) ExitLoop EndSwitch EndIf Return 1 EndFunc ;==>CheckError
      Problem is: i can't make this function (CheckError() ) return to main gui state, that means: break the If/ElseIf loop.
      The switch is working correctly (MsgBox on error shows only when it's activated).
      Checkerror() function works correctly - recognizes the error, stops script until decision is made. But it doesn't terminate If/ElseIf loop.

Any help appreciated!
    • Vivaed
      Running PS1 Script with Parameters
      By Vivaed
      Trying to automate the sideload of a Windows Store app via .ps1 script...
      RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c' & 'C:\"WB Resources"\APP_Prod\Add-AppDevPackage.ps1') Above doesn't work... I assume this is trying to open in CMD.

Normally we right click the .ps1 and open with powershell, then we have to type "A" to start the install, it installs and then type any yet to exit.
      However I cant get the powershell to even open.
      Kind of puzzled here, any suggestions would be a help.
      PS I also tried to convert the .ps1 to exe, but that was a huge failure... lol