Directory Comparision Script

brycetech

Hi

Thought I'd share this. Its not the neatest code, but it allows the comparison of directorys. Very useful for large directory comparisons...I have server directories w/ 1000s of files and need to be able to ensure that I have all of those files on the local computer periodically.

hth

dircompare.au3

Edited by brycetech

thank you for the suggestion.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm bad at multidimensional arrays which seems to be the base of ini files. However, I see the advantage as it looks like its much more direct (shorter coding).

thanx again...

I'll be sure to give this a shot in my next script.

I'd also recommend utilizing a hashing algo of some sorts. Very useful for finding duplicate files or perhaps even identical files with different filenames. Just my two cents.

I updated the script (quite a bit).

How would one go about doing a binary comparison between the two files?

I'd use a hash algo (as I mentioned before). It will give you a high level ability to examine if two files have the same binary composition, but not what the differences are between them.

Personally I'd start with MD5 or SHA1 (_Crypt_HashFile example in the help file) then look into incorporating BIN funcs (binary, binarylen and binarymid have examples in the help file) if you really want to do a detailed comparison.

Edited by spudw2k

Updated again...fixing bugs and making more options.

I tried it a while ago with the actual files I need it to compare on the server I have to work with and it now does what I need, so I doubt I'll do any more to it.

thanx for suggestions.

BT

Edited by brycetech