Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Topher

IX v1.04: a Strategy Game like Chess

23 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Yes, another game. This one is a board game.

Only three piece types, only nine rules. This is very easy to learn. Very hard to master.

Illustration of Game in progress:

Posted Image

If you like Chess you will like this.

Enjoy

Version 1.03

The 'Set' option has been removed, making a play only two clicks.

In-game player prodding has been added.

Some bitmaps have been corrected.

Version 1.04

Resignation option added.

Movement Hints added.

GUI to set game options added.

Sound off option added.

Bitmaps have changed. Reinstall Images\ or things won't quite look correct.

IX v1.04 files

Edited by Topher

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired
[/left][left]Reflex (Arcade game)[/left][left]IX (Board game)[/left][left]The Word Game (Word game)[/left][left]Plastic Sliding Squares Puzzle (Puzzle)[/left]

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

Quite professionally made. Code looks good on the insides too.

Also a nice example of when AutoIt array copy mechanism is actually useful:

$Board = $holdBoard
$Color = $holdColor

One tip, if you set up your constants like this:

Global Const $Tribe = 2^0
Global Const $Clan   = 2^1
Global Const $Hunter   = 2^2  ; used only for comparisions
Global Const $HunterN  = 2^3
Global Const $HunterS  = 2^4
Global Const $HunterE  = 2^5
Global Const $HunterW  = 2^6
Global Const $HunterNE = 2^7
Global Const $HunterNW = 2^8
Global Const $HunterSE = 2^9
Global Const $HunterSW = 2^10
Global Const $Red     = 2^11
Global Const $Green = 2^12

And then repair Func PieceName() to not think that $Red is always 0.

Then for each piece, you are able to check more easily what that piece is with BitAND. For example your Func CheckPiece($piece) becomes:

Func CheckPiece($piece)
    Return BitAND($piece, $AdjustSide)
EndFunc

You can use the same check for other pieces.

Attached a copy of the script for your convenience. So you can see that it works, without going through the painful process of updating all the code. I must say that I really like your solution as well, but I am a little surprised it worked. Usually a system like that is too rigid when your project grows, but you managed to be smart with it and it works. So, kudos! For using a solution most programmers don't use and managing to make it work.

IX.au3

Edited by Manadar

Thanks for the praise.

It took me a little bit to see the advantage to your changes but now I have incorporated the changes.

Started work on the player against the computer version today. That is going to take a long while but I think I have an approach.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired
[/left][left]Reflex (Arcade game)[/left][left]IX (Board game)[/left][left]The Word Game (Word game)[/left][left]Plastic Sliding Squares Puzzle (Puzzle)[/left]

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

I found an error introduced on your change.

During the clan split the hunteradjust routine no longer properly removed the color and so errored out.

I have fixed this as well as fixed a few other minor problems.

Edited by Topher
2 people like this

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

I thought the game was interesting. I didn't read the rules but I did run out of pieces. I found that having to click 3 buttons per move a little long winded though. Perhaps you can get rid of the button SET.

Edited by czardas

I suppose it could be coded to simply have the undo option until the other player moves.

It would streamline things.

Thank you. I will try to code that.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

I suppose it could be coded to simply have the undo option until the other player moves.

It would streamline things.

I've added this. : ) You can undo your move if your opponent has not selected his piece yet.

Note that $TotalMoves variable is not yet debugged.

IX.au3

Edited by Manadar

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

Manadar, I think that makes it more user friendly. ;)

Edited by czardas

That reminds me. I think it would be a good idea to add labels which users turn it is and what they have to do to play that turn. Right now it relies mostly on audible cues and not everyone wants to hear the beep the whole time. Something like:

Red, it's your turn

Click on one of the red pieces on the board to select them, then select an action: Move by clicking on the board, turn or split by clicking the buttons on the side.

I also wanted to show the total number of turns played somewhere too. Right now it shows them at game over (but I haven't debugged that yet so it may crash or be incorrect).

#10 ·  Posted (edited)

@czardas That really streamlined play. Thank you

@Manadar I wanted to code that myself (so I did).

The suggestion of in game instructions is a good one. I'll have it ready and uploaded by tomorrow evening.

Edited by Topher

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way.

Version 1.03

The 'Set' option has been removed, making a play only two clicks.

In-game player prodding has been added.

Some bitmaps have been corrected.

The update is in the original post.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

Very nice additions. Much better than my own revision.

It is clear you spend a great deal of effort and care on this program. : )

#13 ·  Posted (edited)

I have to agree, it's much better now. I haven't had a lot of time to study the game, but thanks for sharing it. I do like chess and there are a few free chess programs around. I generally use a chess program called winboard. Perhaps you could add some similar features like highlighting the last move, or available moves. Not that it needs more features. I'm just thinking out loud. Very nice! ;)

Edited by czardas

Perhaps you could add some similar features like highlighting the last move, or available moves.

Replaying the last move seems like a coding mess.

The other I have put into the next version, thank you.

Posted Image

I have to write a small GUI to control the optional variables that I have been dragging my feet on.

If you (or anyone) have some constructive ideas for additions please let me know.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

Version 1.04

Resignation option added.

Movement Hints added.

GUI to set game options added.

Sound off option added.

Bitmaps have changed. Reinstall Images or things won't quite look correct.

Minor bugs corrected.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

#17 ·  Posted (edited)

Really nice work on this.. the images and functionality are well done.

Some thoughts for improving it:

-Integrate the starting GUI into a menu, this would let the user start right at the main GUI (better flow imo) and allow them to make changes during game. The menu could have a help and about section and whatever other fun stuff menus have.

-This kind of goes with above: give the user new game option.. I didn't look at your code so I don't know how easy that would be to do.

-It sort of looks like you redraw the board after every move, that could probably be avoided.. or I'm just seeing things.

-I sort of think there should be a easier way to rotate the smallest pieces rather than all the buttons, but I can't think of one right now.. if those buttons could be removed you could put the count and resign button below the board to shrink up the amount of empty space on the left and right sides.. it feels a bit desolate.

-AI would be fun, and a lot of work..

I enjoyed playing around with this.

Edited by Achilles

My Programs[list][*]Knight Media Player[*]Multiple Desktops[*]Daily Comics[*]Journal[/list]

-Integrate the starting GUI into a menu, this would let the user start right at the main GUI (better flow imo) and allow them to make changes during game. The menu could have a help and about section and whatever other fun stuff menus have.

I'm not very good with menus so I have been dragging my feet. But you are correct and I will work on it.

-It sort of looks like you redraw the board after every move, that could probably be avoided.. or I'm just seeing things.

Worse I have to draw both the backing square and then the piece, guaranteeing flicker. But this would require so much extra coding to lower it to just the pieces in involved that I am content to live with the flicker.

-I sort of think there should be a easier way to rotate the smallest pieces rather than all the buttons, but I can't think of one right now.. if those buttons could be removed you could put the count and resign button below the board to shrink up the amount of empty space on the left and right sides.. it feels a bit desolate.

I thought long and hard on that when designing the original setup and never did come up with another way. I am open to suggestions.

-AI would be fun, and a lot of work..

This has been one of my goals but I am stumped at how to go about it. I had a few ideas but after a lot of code it was just a mess.

I would also like to make it playable against another player on a different computer. I at least can learn (I hope) how to do that. This is what I am currently working towards. Currently lost in the jargon alone.

I enjoyed playing around with this.

This is my biggest goal, so glad I achieved it for you. ;)

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

This has been one of my goals but I am stumped at how to go about it. I had a few ideas but after a lot of code it was just a mess.

I would also like to make it playable against another player on a different computer. I at least can learn (I hope) how to do that. This is what I am currently working towards. Currently lost in the jargon alone.

Do AI as a separate project. Make your program write via console the current board, that looks something like this:

T...Y
T...Y

Make a legend:

. = Empty square

T = blue tribe

Y = red tribe

Then the AI spits out something like "B1->B2" or "B1->Split".

There are some caveats. Do you want me to prototype something?

Do AI as a separate project. Make your program write via console the current board, that looks something like this:

I am more stumped by the logic than the format.

[left][hr]
$mood = "whimsy"
$mode = "confused"
$randomChaos = True
Do
Something()
Until $Tired

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      An adaption of an adaption.
      A good while back, I created a program, KindEbook Wishlist, that I use most days and is still available here at the forum. It works well, keeping tabs on price changes for Kindle ebooks at Amazon ... at least for my modest wants.
      About a year or so later, I struck upon the idea of adapting that program for CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays etc from the JB Hifi store, where there was a limit of about 50 items on the in-store wishlist. JB Wishlist is kind of a niche program, really only suitable for those from AUS, at the AutoIt Forum, who would want such a thing ... so not many I imagine, so it has never been available here. However, if you meet that criteria etc, and are willing to register at the AutoIt4Life Clubrooms, then it is available in the Project Chat section there ... though not the more recent updates (you need to ask me about them). That too, works quite well for my modest needs, and even includes an additional Preview & Summary window, which KindEbook Wishlist doesn't have ... though both programs do have access to a Details window per item, that is like the Preview window ... just doesn't constantly display alongside the Main program window (see later for an example with IonGoG Wishlist).
      So, now we come to IonGoG Wishlist, which is an adaption of the JB Wishlist program, and used for keeping tabs on GOG Games ... prices, history of changes, bought list, etc.
      IonGoG Wishlist is an incomplete adaption, so still in beta ... though all the really important elements work well enough. I have been working on it in dribs and drabs, and I now think it has come to a reasonable enough stage to share it ... just be advised, that some of the features accessed via the right-click menu etc, may not work or give strange results. Any of the options that I have given an Accelerator key facility to, should be working fine ... and most of the others are too ... and I am not even sure at this point, of what remains to be adapted ... not much I imagine.
      The name by the way, in case you were wondering, is a phonetic mangling on the words - keep an Eye On your GOG Wishlist.
      Here is a screenshot, with the Preview window on left. The Preview window can be placed at right instead or even turned off.

Download, includes source files.
      IonGoG Wishlist v0.0_b8.zip
      Enjoy!
      ADDENDUM
      In reality, compared to most stores I have come across, the GOG store is great, well setup and laid out. and for most things, including their Wishlist, is more than adequate. So I rarely do a full list Price Query ... so much quicker and easier to just check the two pages of my in-store wishlist. When I first started work on IonGoG Wishlist, the in-store wishlist wasn't as good as it is now.
      All that said, I still find it handy to use IonGoG Wishlist, for a variety of things - Offline browsing, Cover images to use with my bought & downloaded game folders, price changes history (and patterns of GOG behavior for sales etc), a bought list (with price I paid and date etc), Game Notes & Warnings, etc. And while not as quick as just checking the pages of your in-store wishlist, you can just set the full, favorites or non-favorites Query going, while you go away and do something else, and then later come back and look at the highlighted changes that may have occurred.
    • Slaventii_M
      By Slaventii_M
      Hi everybody!
      I've been studying Autoit not so long ago and today I want to share my game with you.
      Please check it out and tell me your opinion.
      Files in the archive:
      BG.jpg
      Mole.png
      Mole_Dead.png
      Shoot.wav
      Cursor.cur
      Game_Icon.iso
      Mole Shooter.au3
      Mole Shooter.exe
      Screenshots:
      Screenshot 1
      Screanshot 2
      Screanshot 3
      Files:
      Mole Shooter.rar
      Created and tested:
      Windows XP SP3 Game Edition (x86)
      Autoit Version: 3.3.10.2
    • seangriffin
      By seangriffin
      This is my first release of Box2D for AutoIT.  A very fun and exciting UDF to be bringing to you all.  For those who don't know, Box2D is a physics engine (see http://box2d.org/).  It simulates physical systems using rigid bodies and collision detection.  It is arguably the most prevalent physics engine in existence, within popular physics-based games like Angry Birds using it, and is also at the core of other advanced physics engines such as Unity.
      For a quick demonstration of this UDF in action see the following YouTube video ->  https://youtu.be/h5QH1O63Wik
      Or play "Angry Nerds", the demo game, for yourself.  Visit the EXAMPLES section below.
      Box2D is purely a mathematical engine.  It can model physics numerically.  This in itself is quite interesting, however it really shines when applied to a good graphics engine.  Recently I posted my SFML UDF over here ...
      After benchmarking several popular graphics engines (i.e. GDI+, Direct2D, Irrlicht and SFML) with this Box2D UDF I've selected SFML as my favourite, and the engine that I believe performs the best (fastest) with a rich set of functions appropriate for any physics engine.  With Box2D married with SFML, and running on AutoIT, the results are stunning.
      A HUGE THANK-YOU to jRowe and linus (for the Irrlicht UDF) and UEZ for his post on GDI+ loading screens and trancexx and Eukalyptus for their work on Direct2D.  Without their talents I would not have been able to reach this point on my own.
      The Box2D library is available for C++.  Way back in 2010 it was ported to Pure C by "Paril" and made available on Google Code and known as "Box2C".  Google Code has since been shut down but the but the archive of Box2C still exists to this day here -> https://code.google.com/archive/p/box2c.  This is the library which I have ported to AutoIT in this UDF.
      SFML I am also porting to AutoIT under a separate UDF, as linked above.
      Building this UDF has been a dream come true.  I've been fascinated by physics-based games as far back as the golden age of gaming in the 80's, with thrust style games like Asteroids and platformers like Donkey Kong.  I admired game developers like Jeremy Smith who created what may have been the first true game physics engines for the home computers.  I was astonished by their talents in games like Thrust and Exile for the C64.  Over the years I've attempted to mimic at least some of their success in my own games but alas I can not match their skills.  Now much older automation tools have become my game.  I use them almost every day, AutoIT included.  I've dabbled in other languages for physics game development, like Scratch and Unity, but sadly I had wondered why AutoIT, with all it's glorious capabilities and rapid scripting features, didn't have such a feature.  Hence this UDF.
      This UDF demands a big time investment, and I am time poor, but I have a keen interest in the topic and will do my best to continue it's development.  I am only a hobbyist game developer and welcome comments and suggestions from those far smarter than I on this topic.
      REQUIREMENTS:
      AutoIt3 3.2 or higher LIST OF FUNCTIONS (in progress):
      I've split this UDF into two halves.  "Box2C.au3" is a UDF specifically for Box2C, the C API for Box2D.  It provides the mathematics behind the engine.  Additionally I'm providing "Box2CEx.au3" as an Extension that provides the graphics and gaming functions for Box2D.
      Within the core "Box2C.au3" UDF:
      _Box2C_Startup _Box2C_Shutdown _Box2C_b2Vec2_Constructor _Box2C_b2Vec2_Length _Box2C_b2Vec2_Distance _Box2C_b2World_Constructor _Box2C_b2World_CreateBody _Box2C_b2World_DestroyBody _Box2C_b2World_CreateFixture _Box2C_b2World_CreateFixtureFromShape _Box2C_b2World_Step _Box2C_b2BoxShape_Constructor _Box2C_b2CircleShape_Constructor _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_Constructor _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_Set _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_CrossProductVectorScalar _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_CrossProductVectorVector _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_Normalize _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_ComputeCentroid _Box2C_b2BodyDef_Constructor _Box2C_b2Body_DestroyFixture _Box2C_b2Body_GetPosition _Box2C_b2Body_SetPosition _Box2C_b2Body_GetAngle _Box2C_b2Body_SetAngle _Box2C_b2Body_SetAwake _Box2C_b2Body_SetTransform _Box2C_b2Body_GetLinearVelocity _Box2C_b2Body_SetLinearVelocity _Box2C_b2Body_GetAngularVelocity _Box2C_b2Body_SetAngularVelocity _Box2C_b2Body_ApplyForce _Box2C_b2Body_ApplyForceAtBody _Box2C_b2Body_ApplyDirectionalForceAtBody _Box2C_b2Body_ApplyTorque _Box2C_b2Fixture_GetShape _Box2C_b2Fixture_GetDensity _Box2C_b2Fixture_SetDensity _Box2C_b2Fixture_GetRestitution _Box2C_b2Fixture_SetRestitution _Box2C_b2Fixture_GetFriction _Box2C_b2Fixture_SetFriction _Box2C_b2Fixture_SetSensor Within y "Box2CEx.au3" extension:
      x_metres_to_gui_x y_metres_to_gui_y metres_to_pixels atan2 radians_to_degrees degrees_to_radians _Box2C_Setup_SFML _Box2C_b2Vec2_GetGUIPosition _Box2C_b2World_Setup _Box2C_b2World_GDIPlusSetup _Box2C_b2World_SetPixelsPerMetre _Box2C_b2World_SetGUIArea _Box2C_b2World_GetGUIArea _Box2C_b2World_GetGUIAreaCenter _Box2C_b2World_Create _Box2C_b2World_Step_Ex _Box2C_b2World_StartAnimation _Box2C_b2World_Animate_SFML _Box2C_b2World_Animate_GDIPlus _Box2C_b2World_WaitForAnimateEnd _Box2C_b2ShapeArray_AddItem_SFML _Box2C_b2ShapeArray_SetItem_SFML _Box2C_b2ShapeArray_GetItemImagePath_SFML _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_ArrayAdd_Irrlicht _Box2C_b2PolygonShape_ArrayAdd_GDIPlus _Box2C_b2BodyDefArray_AddItem _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_SetItemSensor _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_GetItemDensity _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_SetItemDensity _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_GetItemRestitution _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_SetItemRestitution _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_GetItemFriction _Box2C_b2FixtureArray_SetItemFriction _Box2C_b2BodyArray_AddItem_SFML _Box2C_b2Body_ArrayAdd_Irrlicht _Box2C_b2Body_ArrayAdd_GDIPlus _Box2C_b2BodyArray_GetItemCount _Box2C_b2BodyArray_GetItemPosition _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemPosition _Box2C_b2BodyArray_GetItemAngle _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemAngle _Box2C_b2BodyArray_GetItemLinearVelocity _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemActive _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemAwake _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemImage_SFML _Box2C_b2BodyArray_SetItemDraw _Box2C_b2BodyArray_ApplyItemForceAtBody _Box2C_b2BodyArray_ApplyItemDirectionalForceAtBody _Box2C_b2BodyArray_Transform_SFML _Box2C_b2Body_Transform_GDIPlus _Box2C_b2BodyArray_Draw_SFML _Box2C_b2Body_ArrayDrawDisplay_SFML _Box2C_b2Body_Destroy _Box2C_b2Body_Destroy_SFML _Box2C_b2Body_Rotate_GDIPlus The SFML functions used in the tests and demos will be available in the SFML UDF post (see reference above).
      EXAMPLES:
      For such a powerful physics engine coupled to such a powerful graphics engine (SFML) it's sad that I've only had time to build one functional game, thus far.  But it's a start.
      My self-titled "Angry Nerds" is merely a demo of the same game concept as the ever-so-popular Angry Birds game.  Angry Birds itself is built on top of Box2D.  Likewise Angry Nerds.  AutoIT + Box2D + SFML to be exact.  I've compiled Angry Nerds and provided an installer also, so you can quickly run the demo for yourself.  From the Github site below (in the DOWNLOAD section) run "Box2C_Angry_Nerds_Game_SFML_installer.exe" to install the demo to a location on your computer (desktop by default).  Go into this folder and run "Box2C_Angry_Nerds_Game_SFML.exe".  All instructions are displayed in-game.  Should be quite easy to work out.
      Aside from Angry Nerds there are also two test scripts:
      Box2C_linear_forces_test_SFML.au3 Box2C_angular_forces_test_SFML.au3 Feel free to run these for a basic demonstration of rigid bodies, forces and collisions.  The heart of Box2D and any physics engine.
      Lastly I also have four speed tests as follows:
      Box2C_speed_test_SFML.au3 Box2C_speed_test_Irrlicht.au3 Box2C_speed_test_D2D.au3 Box2C_speed_test_GDIPlus.au3 These were my initial evaluations into a suitable graphics engine for Box2D.  I've since settled on SFML, but feel free to execute these.  Note they may become quick defective over time as the SFML functions slowly take over.
      DOWNLOADS:
      You can download this UDF, including the examples above and associated files, from the following GitHub page:
      https://github.com/seanhaydongriffin/Box2C-UDF
      Hope you all enjoy!  I certainly am :-)
      Cheers,
      Sean.

• Mr_Was_geht_sie_das_an
      By Mr_Was_geht_sie_das_an
      Hi,
      i wanna creat an _Imagesearch / Mousemove script for an 3D/FPS Game and have Problems with the mousemove.

In the game like Curveball(2D) its still works but in games like Battlefield (3D) are the absolute coordinates not really helpfull.
      Someone have an idea or an Example for me ?

• Triblade
      By Triblade
      Hi folks!

First off, yeah this may be the lamest title. But it made you look anyway! 

Edit: Now updated! With step-counter, reset button and a few GUI-tweaks. (the step-counter is cheating! It's calculated in advance...)
      I recently thought a screenshot of a finished maze may be smart to show, instead of only my long story and code. o=path, x=wall. Here it is:

I started making my own implementation of the A* pathing script in a larger project, inspired by Toady's work. (But made one from scratch myself anyway )
      After the A* pathing script was working (not cleaned up yet) I wanted to test it. Unfortunately I got no good, randomized, maze lying around that also had the format I needed. So I made my own maze generator!

I did a few hours of research on the matter and then a few evenings of scripting.
      For the people who are interested, one of my problems was that I needed 'one-cell' thick walls. Most maze generation have 1 pixel thick walls drawn by a line, that could be opened if a path is needed. The solution is so simple, I needed this guy to tell me. Click here for my inspiration source.

This generator can be used with different sizes maze, even uneven ones! Just set the width and height settings. FYI, it must be odd numbers for this maze to work with it's containment walls.
      It's the 'simple' Depth-First Search, with backtracking. And without further ado; my a-maze-ing generator!:
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- AutoIt Version: 3.3.12.0 Author: A-maze-ing generator Script Function: Generates a maze. In the $xy[$i][4] is the maze in array form. Don't forget to take the size with it, else it's just a string of o's and x's It does not generate an entrance or exit! #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ; Script Start - Add your code below here #include <Array.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> ; Set various variables ; width and height must be odd numbers to have a closed, functioning maze. Global $height = 27 ; demo height = 27 Global $width = 43; demo width = 43 ; Check if width & height are an odd number (to get the outer edge an odd number is required) If mod($height, 2) = 0 Or $height < 5 Then msgbox(0,"","Height is not an odd number or a minimum of 5 tall !") Exit ElseIf mod($width, 2) = 0 Or $width < 5 Then msgbox(0,"","Width is not an odd number of a minimum of 5 wide !") Exit EndIf ; Set various variables when script is not exited Global $grid_size = $height * $width Global $numberofsteps = (Ceiling(($height-2) / 2) * (($width-2) - Ceiling(($width-2) / 2))) + (($height-2) - Ceiling(($height-2) / 2)) ; long formula to check the number of steps this maze will take, this is a mathematical given with a fixed number of cells. And yes, I am aware I'm taking a shortcut in this formula. ;) Global $curpos Global $backtrack[1] Global $bt = 0 Local $grid_pixel = 20 ;How many pixels per square ; Initialize main array with all grid data Global $xy[$grid_size + 1][5] Global $reset_xy = $xy ; set the reset array $xy[0][0] = $grid_size ; first entry is the total number of nodes, rest is set with a header name for easy reference in _ArrayDisplay if needed. $xy[0][1] = "ID" $xy[0][2] = "Row" $xy[0][3] = "Column" $xy[0][4] = "Type" ; Fill the grid array with 'walls' For $i = 1 To $xy[0][0] $xy[$i][4] = "x" Next ; Start GUI and create standard buttons Local $gui = GUICreate("A-maze-ing generator", 180 + ($width * $grid_pixel), 80 + ($height * $grid_pixel)) ; Set the main window to the minimum width (IF) needed for the msgbox Local $aPos = WinGetPos($gui) If $aPos[2] < 696 Then $aPos[2] = 696 WinMove($gui, "", $aPos[0], $aPos[1], $aPos[2], $aPos[3]) EndIf GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is a-maze-ing!", 30, 19) Global $progress = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Standing by... " & $numberofsteps & " steps to go.", 150, 15, 550, 30) Local $iOKButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start", 45, 50, 60) Local $iResetButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Reset", 45, 90, 60) Local $iExitButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit", 45, 130, 60) GUICtrlSetFont($progress, 15) GUICtrlSetColor($progress, 0x00AA00) GUICtrlSetState($iResetButton, $GUI_DISABLE) ; Create label-grid and fill the xy array with the positions Local $squarenr = 0 For $i = 0 To ($height * $grid_pixel) - $grid_pixel Step $grid_pixel ; Row For $j = 0 To ($width * $grid_pixel) - $grid_pixel Step $grid_pixel ; Column $squarenr = $squarenr + 1 $xy[$squarenr][0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel('x', 150 + $j, 50 + $i, $grid_pixel, $grid_pixel, BitOr($SS_SUNKEN, $SS_CENTER)) ; if you want debugging numbers, replace 'x' with $squarenr GUICtrlSetBkColor($xy[$squarenr][0], 0x5E87C9) ; lightblue-ish $xy[$squarenr][1] = $squarenr $xy[$squarenr][2] = ($i / $grid_pixel) + 1 $xy[$squarenr][3] = ($j / $grid_pixel) + 1 Next Next $reset_xy = $xy ; Show GUI GUISwitch($gui) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; Start looping and waiting for input Local $aMsg = 0 While 1 $aMsg = GUIGetMsg(1) Select Case $aMsg[0] = $iOKButton GUICtrlSetState($iOKButton, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetState($iResetButton, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetState($iExitButton, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetColor($progress, 0xFF8C00) ; orange GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Running - Creating maze. Please stand by... " & $numberofsteps & " steps to go.") make_maze() GUICtrlSetColor($progress, 0xFF0000) ; red GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Maze complete!") Sleep(1000) ; Just a small sleep for dramatic effect GUICtrlSetColor($progress, 0x00AA00) ; green-ish GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Maze completed in " & $numberofsteps & " steps.") GUICtrlSetState($iResetButton, $GUI_ENABLE) GUICtrlSetState($iExitButton, $GUI_ENABLE) Case $aMsg[0] = $iResetButton GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Resetting maze...") reset_maze() GUICtrlSetState($iResetButton, $GUI_DISABLE) GUICtrlSetState($iOKButton, $GUI_ENABLE) GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Maze reset!") Sleep(1000) ; Just a small sleep for dramatic effect GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Standing by...") Case $aMsg[0] = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Or $aMsg[0] = $iExitButton ExitLoop EndSelect WEnd Exit ; Resetting the maze to default state Func reset_maze() $xy = $reset_xy ; Set the $xy array back to it first-run values For $i = 1 To $xy[0][0] $xy[$i][4] = "x" ; set everything to 'x' GUICtrlSetBkColor($xy[$i][0], 0x5E87C9) ; reset the background color GUICtrlSetData($xy[$i][0], "x") ; (re)set the label to 'x' Next EndFunc ; Main function Func make_maze() Local $heading Local $stepcount = $numberofsteps ; Reset the step counter. Local $timed = TimerInit() ; Start the timer to see how long the maze generation took. $backtrack[0] = 0 $curpos = $width + 2 ; This is the starting position, second row, second column - aka top-left, one in from the sides. open_maze($curpos) ; Set the starter cell to 'open / white' ; Main maze generation loop While 1 Do $heading = direction($curpos) Until $heading <> 0 If $bt = 1 Then $bt = 0 ; reset backtracking-tracker, else the backtracking array keeps adding the current position GUICtrlSetData($progress, "Running - Creating maze. Please stand by... " & $stepcount & " steps to go.") Sleep(50) ; Slow maze creation down to look at it - relax! (or don't and comment out the sleep) If $heading = -1 Then ExitLoop $stepcount -= 1 ; Count down the steps to finish. ; We got the heading - now which way do we go? After that, set the current position to the last known heading. Switch $heading Case 1 ; north open_maze($curpos - $width) open_maze($curpos - ($width * 2)) $curpos = $curpos - ($width * 2) Case 2 ; east open_maze($curpos + 1) open_maze($curpos + 2) $curpos = $curpos + 2 Case 3 ; south open_maze($curpos + $width) open_maze($curpos + ($width * 2)) $curpos = $curpos + ($width * 2) Case 4 ; west open_maze($curpos - 1) open_maze($curpos - 2) $curpos = $curpos - 2 EndSwitch ;msgbox(0,"","Turn pause") ; for debugging, click every turn. WEnd ConsoleWrite("Maze completed in " & Round(TimerDiff($timed) / 1000, 1) & " seconds." & @CRLF) ; Show the generation time in seconds, rounded up with one decimal Return EndFunc Func open_maze($dest) ; Function set inputted cells to 'open' instead of being an uncool wall. $xy[$dest][4] = "o" GUICtrlSetData($xy[$dest][0], 'o') ; If you want debugging numbers, replace 'o' with $dest GUICtrlSetBkColor($xy[$dest][0], 0xEEEEEE) EndFunc Func direction(ByRef $curpos) ; Insert current position, output next heading for path generation. Local $nesw Local $open_directions[5][2] $open_directions[0][0] = 0 $nesw = $curpos - ($width * 2) ; north side checking If $nesw > $width + 1 Then fill_open_dir($nesw, 1, $open_directions) $nesw = $curpos + 2 ; east side checking If mod($nesw - 1, $width) <> 0 Then fill_open_dir($nesw, 2, $open_directions) $nesw = $curpos + ($width * 2) ; south side checking If $nesw < $grid_size - $width Then fill_open_dir($nesw, 3, $open_directions) $nesw = $curpos - 2 ; west side checking If mod($nesw, $width) <> 0 Then fill_open_dir($nesw, 4, $open_directions) ; Check which (if any) direction(s) are already opened, if so, discard them from the results-array For $i = $open_directions[0][0] To 1 Step -1 If $xy[$open_directions[$i][1]][4] = "o" Then $open_directions[0][0] -= 1 _ArrayDelete($open_directions, $i) EndIf Next ; If there are any results left... If $open_directions[0][0] > 0 Then If $open_directions[0][0] = 1 Then Return $open_directions[1][0] ; Random does not work with min 1 and max 1 (output = 0), so in this case, return only with the only one result. Else If $bt = 0 Then ; If there is not backtracking active, add this crossroad to the backtrack-array. This is only needed if there are two or three possible sides. $backtrack[0] += 1 _ArrayAdd($backtrack, $curpos) EndIf Return $open_directions[Random(1, $open_directions[0][0], 1)][0] ; Random choose between all possible directions and return with the outcome direction. EndIf ElseIf $backtrack[0] > 0 Then ; If there are no results ánd there are entries in the backtrack list, then visit those entries to see if there still is a path possible. $curpos = $backtrack[$backtrack[0]] _ArrayDelete($backtrack, $backtrack[0]) $backtrack[0] -= 1 $bt = 1 Return 0 ; Return with a new current direction ($curpos), from the backtrack array. Else Return -1 ; If there are no paths to explorer, in the pathing, or backtracking, then return with the message that we are finished. EndIf EndFunc Func fill_open_dir($nesw, $direction, ByRef $open_directions) ; Fill the $open_directions array with a new possible way $open_directions[0][0] += 1 $open_directions[$open_directions[0][0]][1] = $nesw $open_directions[$open_directions[0][0]][0] = $direction Return EndFunc  
      P.S.  The 'slow' generation is intended because it looks cool. Comment out the Sleep line on line 157 for a fast generation.