Web Pad (update)

TheSaint

Obviously, when you make a program, at some point you are at design stage, and having to make a decision about the visual side of things, both from a practical and ease of use point of view.

With WebPad, I elected to make the buttons the size they are and not too closely crammed together, to go with the quick and simple ethos, where you can move your mouse to them quickly and not be worried about having to be overly accurate. I also wanted to make sure that at it's smallest, the program wouldn't take up too much screen real estate ... especially on my Netbook, where that is critical. This obviously had an impact on the number of buttons, and why some options are menu only. It was my view initially, to not have a COPY button, but just use the Export to Clipboard menu item. With use, this was just annoying, so I enlarged the minimal width of the program. I also increased it again, for the very handy TAB button. On most PC's this would definitely not be an issue, and with the Floating restore button option available for program minimizing, I'm not really concerned at the addition of two extra buttons.

Others may feel different about my ethos overall, and wish to add many more features, which is perfectly okay, and I encourage them to do so and provide their mods here for sharing with others. I'm mostly happy with the way the program currently is, but I'm always happy to be pleasantly surprised by the adjustment and vision of someone else.

The whole Forum Editor could even be re-created, along with my handy additions (Case, Tab, Autosave method, On Top, Floating restore button, etc). Obviously we would no longer have a small GUI, but with the Floating button, that doesn't need to be an issue.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

True, and I've done something similar with some of my programs ... my Toolbar For Any program, for instance, has a growing feature to enable more or less buttons, with any desired icon, tooltip, etc. Some of my programs have a MORE button or Tabs.

Not sure how to apply that in the context of what I've said in my previous post though, where less is more.

My overall idea for WebPad was as a backup for what you type, all the extra features I added because I could, but the general idea was to copy & paste your text to the AutoIt Forum Editor, and then do your final touches to text formatting there, before posting.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 1 year later...

UPDATED - See first post.

Many changes and versions since the last upload. As suggested though, you may prefer the earlier simple version, though there are some important bugfixes.

(v1.4) Added a Search Menu and options, with facility to increment a number when used in text searching. Some special Copy and Import options added. Hopefully now fixed a bug where window would not restore on a rare occasion. Bugfixes.

(v1.5) Added some Line menu options.

(v1.6) FIND button added. Some buttons changed to dropdown items, that now have a remove facility. Some buttons moved. Multi Job added for Lines. Bugfixes & Improvements.

(v1.7) Undo active window setting option added, plus further attempt to deal with occasional memory allocation bug which crashes the program.

(v1.8) Added extra Copy import options, plus store/retrieve last active window title. Bugfix.

(v1.9) Added option to Copy line by line with removal & reduction. Bugfix.

(v2.0) Added two Copy clear options, plus changed one default button setting. Bugfix for null character.

(v2.1) Fix Mode added for checking/joining lines.

(v2.2) Fast, Quotes Only & Quick Fix options added for Fix Mode. CTRL key Abort Query added for Fix process. CLEAR button added and ON TOP button made smaller to accomodate.

(v2.3) Minimize on clear option added. Detect leading digit added to Fix process. Quick Fix + Query option added. Pipe character is now added to end of Line 1 to help indicate any space/s. Checks for Saint abbreviation at end of line, plus now tests for alternate quote characters. Remove line with specific text option added for Fix process. Bugfixes. (NOTE - unwarranted or extra carriage returns or line feeds are now stripped to prevent unwanted queries).

(v2.4) Apart from in Quotes option, now working with both types of inverted comma. CTRL key with TAB button = 1st character check. Character Count Report option added, plus UNDO and Update Undo options. Warning added for Character Count over 30,000.

(v2.5) Remove Mode added, plus a Quick Fix for trailing spaces at the end of a line after a fullstop, question or exclamation mark, even if nested inside single or double quotes.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png