bobbyab9987

How to open multiple files in only one instance of the corresponding program?

bobbyab9987

Hi friends,

Suppose MyProgram is a tabbed program, meaning that it allows for opening multiple files in the same instance.

I want to open File1, File2 and File3 in one instance of MyProgram from an AutoIT script. How can I do this?

I have read the AutoIT Help File about "ShellExecute" and "Run", but I have found nothing helpful.

Thanks for reading my question. Any answer would be very appreciated.

kylomas

Hi bobby,

What do you mean by "tabbed program"?

What kind of files do you want to open?

For best results post code that is representative of the question\problem you have.

Kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

MilesAhead

This thread has some approaches you can see using AutoIt.

Generally the pattern sounds like the tabbed application that would display a file per tab would be considered the Primary Instance of the application.  Other copies of the program that just pass the command line on to the Primary are considered Secondary instances.  They pass on the command line params, then exit.

The are many forms of Interprocess Communication or IPC that can be used on Windows.  The thread I linked has some done in AutoIt.  But you could roll your own using Windows API calls via the DllCall function.

bobbyab9987

Hi Kylomas, pls see MilesAhead's post to understand my question more clearly. Thank you.

Hi MilesAhead, thank you for your answer. This seems to be complicated if we use just AutoIT to accomplish this task. I decided to combine AutoIT and a Windows batch file to achieve the same task, but with a simpler programming skill required.

Edited by bobbyab9987

TheSaint

How are you getting your list of files?

How are you opening the files? Command-line or browsing etc.

If browsing, then look at the options for FileOpenDialog command in the 4th (Options) parameter - Multiselect.

Command-line is possibly even simpler, providing you supply all the elements correctly (quotes etc).

Other than that, I suggest you search for exactly what you want or provide some basic code that we can work with, especially so that we can get a clearer understanding of what you need.

It shouldn't be that complicated, providing you understand a few basics. In fact, it seems to me that adding a batch file is only adding complexity ... but then I'm not entirely sure of what you are wanting to do.

AutoIt.4.Life Clubrooms - Life is like a Donut (secret key)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• TheSaint
      By TheSaint
      Files Checklist
      Just a simple little (complex enough) program I whipped up, for a purpose ... but only too happy to share.
      It can of course be modified to do more, but at the moment just compares file names with or without path ... Location versus Checklist.
      There are of course other compare programs out there, most doing a lot more than mine (i.e. WinMerge or FileComparer). But I wanted something quick and simple with drag & drop, that uses up a smallish amount of screen real estate.
      NOTE - The SAVE button is also a LOAD one, and displays 'Load' when the list is empty. So you can save and load specific lists. While in SAVE mode, the button can also be used with CTRL held down, to ADD another list to existing (displayed one) ... combining as they say ... though not saved until you SAVE. CLEAR button removes a selected entry, or if used with CTRL held down, queries about removing all listed entries.

Files Checklist v1.2.zip
      Files Checklist v1.3.zip
      Files Checklist v1.4.zip  (Includes a BUGFIX.)
        (source included)
      WARNING - While this program does not act on files or folders ADDED or CHECKED, you might act on the results, so I advise caution, and I also recommend using the new 'Relative' option in v1.3 or newer ... but you still need to understand what you are doing and what the results actually mean. Some basic examples in the next post.
      Enjoy!
      RELATED
      Users might also be interested in another somewhat related program of mine.
      DeleteIf Same
      Cheers!
    • nacerbaaziz
      By nacerbaaziz
      Hello all
      I have a question please
      I've searched a lot on how to make a GUI for programs designed by Autoit to accepts dragging files from Windows File Explorer
      Unfortunately, however, it failed
      Is there any way to do this?
      Where I am making a audio player and I want to activate the feature of dragging files from Windows Explorer to a program window to play them
      I hope to find a simple solution here in this wonderful forum
      Thank you very much in advance
    • nacerbaaziz
      By nacerbaaziz
      hello dears
      First I would like to apologize to you for my many questions.
      I have a new question if you allow
      I am programming an audio player for blinds
      I had a problem
      I put an option in the folders context menu to Opens the audio files that in the selected folder
      I did not know how to make the Autoit Search the subfolders
      Please provide an example of how to search for  files in the subfolders
      Let's say, for example, MP3 files
      Just give me a simple example and I will try to modify it as appropriate for the program I designing it
      Please help me to find the solution
      Thanks in advance
    • rkr
      By rkr
      Hi, I have a software which has a 'run file'-ie; when i double click on that file, the input file of the software is run by the software. I wish to double click/execute this run file using autoit. how do i achieve this. i opened the software and it shows the input file and run file in same folder, i will put my autoitscript file too in same location. how do i simulate double clicking the run file (using its file name, say - abc.run ). I entered the following lines to make software window active - it became active, dont know how to go forward
      Winactivate("program title")
      winwaitactivate("program title")
      controlclick("program title","abc.run",1000,"primary",2) ; 1000 is ctrl id
    • tremolux66
      By tremolux66
      Initial Problem
      I've written several scripts with the following sequence:
      Execute a program using Run w/stdout+stderr captured Typically processes all the files in one directory tree to populate a second tree Execute a second program (also with Run) to monitor the products of the first program and Display a progress bar (percentage of output files complete) Also monitor the first program's process and exit when it terminates The script then calls ProcessWaitClose (no timeout) on the first program's process and Checks the first program's results Kills the monitor program if it hasn't already exited on its own. Sometimes, ProcessWaitClose returns 1 with @error = 0 and @extended = 0xCCCCCCCC (actually, 0xFFFFFFFFCCCCCCCC), which seems ambiguous: the documentation says that @error = non-zero and @extended = 0xCC... means an invalid PID (unclear what the return value is), and 1 is returned for non-existent processes (but no mention of @extended). The 1/0/0xCC... result seems to occur when the first program exits very quickly (with or without an error). Since the exit value is not available, the script scans the program's output and tries to determine whether it ran successfully. This has gotten complicated and unreliable.
      Partial Fix
      I've now implemented a much simpler approach that works for most cases:
      Modify the monitor program so that it ignores the other program's process (the monitor always gets killed by the script anyway) Execute the monitor program first using Run, then execute the processing program with RunWait When RunWait returns, the child process exit value is available, so the script can ignore its output (which isn't available anyway) If the monitor program is still running, kill it. Remaining Issue
      However, there are still a couple of cases where it's necessary to get both the exit value from the processing program and its output. Since RunWait doesn't capture stdout and stderr for the parent script, it's looking like I'll have to call RunWait and redirect the 2 streams to a temp file and then scan it. Also, to do the redirect, I think I'll have to use @ComSpec to execute the processing program, which adds an undesired layer.
      Does anybody have a better (cleaner) way to handle these cases?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.