Excel and an Array Subscript Error

I am making a simple script to read a range of cells in a spread sheet and return the first cell's value. 

Global $sExcelReferencePath = "\refDoc.xls"

Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open()

Local $oWorkBook = _Excel_BookOpen ($oExcel, @ScriptDir&$sExcelReferencePath)

Local $iRowVal = 2

Local $propArray[9] = _Excel_RangeRead ( $oWorkbook , "Sheet1", "A2:I2", 1 )

If isArray ($propArray) = 1 Then
   ConsoleWrite ("yay")
   ConsoleWrite ("Boo")

ConsoleWrite ($propArray[0])

When I run this script , it finds the values and confirms that $propArray is an array but when I try to call $propArray[0] I get back "Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded"

Any advice regarding this would be thoroughly appreciated. 

I figured out my error. 

When collecting data from an Excel sheet , even if just a single row, it requires row and column values to designate what portion of the array is to be used/displayed.

So $propArray is actually "$propArray[0][9]" and to reference it is the same. Hope this helps some future novice from making the same error I did :)

Hi. You don't need to define the array size like Local $propArray[9]= just use Local $propArray=

Greetings! Thank you for the correction. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kartune
      By kartune
      Hello, I am getting this error message when running my script:
      Case $aButiD[0] To $aButiD[$iTotButtons - 1]
      Case ^ ERROR
      Error:  Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.
      The script's purpose is to read my ini file and create buttons for the sections and section contents.
      The first part of the script creates buttons for the sections of the ini, once you click on the section button it should open another set of buttons of all the contents under the section
      In this case, the section in the .ini file is called "TPA"
      on the Func flavorco()
      It opens the contents of "TPA" into buttons.
      Right now, the section it is reading is determined by $sSection.
      It is only when I try to change $sSection = "TPA"
      $sSection = $flavorco
      that the error starts to appear
      Here is the script
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> $optbar = IniReadSectionNames("test.ini") If Not IsArray($optbar) Then Exit Local $Button[UBound($optbar) - 1] $mGUI = GUICreate('Restock Flavor Ingredients', 10 + (130 * UBound($optbar)), 100) For $x = 1 To UBound($optbar) - 1 $var = IniReadSection("test.ini", $optbar[$x]) If @error Then ContinueLoop $X_Coord = 10 + (($x - 1) * 100) $Button[$x - 1] = GUICtrlCreateButton($optbar[$x], $X_Coord, 30, 70, 30) Next GUISetState() While 1 $mMsg = GUIGetMsg() If $mMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then GUIDelete($mGUI) ExitLoop EndIf For $i = 0 To UBound($Button) - 1 If $mMsg = $Button[$i] Then MsgBox(0, '$Msg = ' & $mMsg, GuiCtrlRead($Button[$i]) & ' Pressed', 2) Global $flavorco = $Button ; sets the flavor company's variable Call('flavorco') EndIf Next WEnd Func flavorco() ;opened flavor company's flavors MsgBox(0, '$Msg = ' & $mMsg, GuiCtrlRead($Button[$i]) & $flavorco, 0) Local $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\Test.ini" Local $sSection = $Button Local $aArray = IniReadSection($sFilePath, $sSection) _ArrayDelete($aArray, 0) ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray) Local $iIndex Local $iTotButtons = UBound($aArray) Local $iNumPerRow = 5 Local $iButWidth = 100 Local $iButDepth = 30 Local $aButiD[$iTotButtons] Local $hGUI = GUICreate('Ingredients Stock "' & $sFilePath & '"', 10 + ($iButWidth + 10) * $iNumPerRow, _ 10 + Ceiling($iTotButtons / $iNumPerRow) * ($iButDepth + 10), -1, $WS_EX_TOPMOST) For $i = 0 To $iTotButtons - 1 ; $x = $iXBorder + (($iRectWidth + $iSpacing) * Mod($i, $iNumCols)) $x = 10 + (($iButWidth + 10) * Mod($i, $iNumPerRow)) ; $y = $iYBorder + (($iRectDepth + $iSpacing) * Int($i / $iNumCols)) $y = 10 + (($iButDepth + 10) * Int($i / $iNumPerRow)) $aButiD[$i] = GUICtrlCreateButton($aArray[$i][0], $x, $y, $iButWidth, $iButDepth) ;, $BS_NOTIFY) Next GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $msg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $msg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($hGUI) ExitLoop Case $aButiD[0] To $aButiD[$iTotButtons - 1] ;clicking on a flavor name $iIndex = ($msg - $aButiD[0]) $RSINGRflavor = $aArray[$iIndex][0] ;flavor name $RSINGRml = $aArray[$iIndex][1] ; ml $RSINGRgal = $aArray[$iIndex][1]*0.000264172 ;converts ml to gal Call('openflavor') EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc Func openflavor() #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form=F:\Karl\AutoIt\FJ-Stock JP\GUI Forms\RSINGRSUBFORM.kxf ;opens flavor to view stock and restock submit $RSINGRSUBFORM = GUICreate($sSection & " " & $RSINGRflavor, 242, 213, 530, 269) $RSINGRFlavorTitle = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sSection & " " & $RSINGRflavor, 32, 8, 200, 28) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 16, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") $RSINGRstockcaption = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current Stock in ml:", 16, 48, 96, 17) $RSINGRstockml = GUICtrlCreateLabel($RSINGRml, 120, 48, 114, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") $RSINGRInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("ml", 40, 112, 153, 21) $RSINGRSUBMIT = GUICtrlCreateButton("SUBMIT", 16, 152, 81, 33) $RSINGRCLOSE = GUICtrlCreateButton("CLOSE", 145, 151, 81, 33) $RSINGRgalcaption = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current Stock in gal:", 16, 80, 97, 17) $RSINGRstockgal = GUICtrlCreateLabel($RSINGRGAL, 120, 80, 114, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 8, 800, 0, "MS Sans Serif") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### ; $msg = "" While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete($RSINGRSUBFORM) ExitLoop Case $RSINGRCLOSE GUIDelete($RSINGRSUBFORM) ExitLoop EndSwitch WEnd EndFunc  
      Any help is much appreciated!  Thanks.
      My guess is that $Button isn't an actual string??  Whenever I use msgbox it shows up the string exactly, no numbers attached.  So i'm not sure whats going on here.
    • Rskm
      By Rskm
      i have seen many pointing out issues related to this, i tried reading through them - still unable to solve mine.. i have a script which reads certain lines based on a search item, this is an iterative process - the ldflst_file gets updated for each iteration and the script finds the line number which has the search item. this works perfectly for few iterations, but stops in some cases abruptly with the error = 
      Subscript used on non-accessible variable $aRead^ ERROR I have verified that the search item is present in the file. what could be the reason for this code to stop in certain cases. thanks for help
      my code below (partial).. full code is in attachment
      local $aRead=FileReadToArray($ldflst_file)
      global $ldflst_var1=" JOINT  LOAD       FORCE(X)        FORCE(Y)        FORCE(Z)       MOMENT(X)       MOMENT(Y)       MOMENT(Z)"
      for $i= 0 to $ldflst_totlines    ; ldflst_totlines is total number of  lines in the file 'ldflst_file'

if $aRead[$i]=$ldflst_var1 Then
    • NizonRox
      By NizonRox
      Hi, i'm currently facing problems with understanding how arrays work, or atleast a few commands that alter arrays.
      My current situation is:
      1. I'm taking the process list and putting it all in an array
      2. I want to remove the boring common windows processes
      3. Profit
      And i'm currently stuck on step 2, while i already found this thread it dosn't seem that i can make it do what i want.
      Current code:
      Local $PList = ProcessList() Local $RL[6] = ["smss.exe", "csrss.exe", "svchost.exe", "iexplore.exe", "chrome.exe", "conhost.exe"] Sleep(1) For $i=1 To Ubound($RL)-1 Sleep(1) While Not @Error $iIndex = _ArraySearch($PList, $RL[$i], 1, 0, 0, 1) _ArrayDelete($PList, $iIndex) WEnd Next It seems to remove all but smss.exe from the array list unless i have it two times in the array.
      Note: The sleep(1) is there to clear the error else the command wont fire for the rest of the array, any other way of doing it?
    • rudi
      By rudi
      I used the various "_Excel_*()" funktions to open workbooks, read and write cells.
      I was looking through the helpfile for the _EXCEL_* funktions, if there is a direkt way to set background color or text color -- if there is one, then I missed it?
      Searching the forum I found this posting demonstrating how to do this task using ...
      Is there a way to set the background color etc. with the native "_EXCEL_*" as well?
      Regards, Rudi.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.