Windows Phone 8.1 to Android message restore

tuheeden

I REALLY liked Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Phone 10. But when the final list of hardware came out from Microsoft, alas my 6 month old phone was not included. Then only weeks later, Microsoft sold their Nokia handset division only day ago, it was time to stop suffering and get back to Android (NO - I do not own or use Apple Products).

It was only after hours of searching that I found that there was NO EASY WAY to move SMS Messages off of Windows Phone 8.1 or 10 TO Android...UNBELIEVABLE!!

So I wrote a quick and dirty way to get this done. Here are the steps

**** - Your existing SMS Messages will be DELETED!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Back them up if you do not want to lose them

1 - FROM your Windows Phone 8.1 or Windows Phone 10 - Download 'contacts + messages' app from store. EXPORT ONLY SMS (no MMS). Copy the output file (usually named .msg) to your PC

**** - This version requires you to find/replace any colons ":" in your messages -like smiley faces - I replaced them with semi-colon ";"

2 - Run the attached script - choose your file - it will take a minute and then you should see an out.xml file

3 - Get the out.xml file to your android phone or someplace your android phone can get to is (like dropbox or the like)

4 - FROM the Android store, download titanium backup. You do NOT NEED root access - choose from the menu RESTORE from XML, Find and select out.xml. If it prompts you to "Change default message app to Titanium" - click YES (you can change it back after the import)

5 - It will take a while, but when completed, your sms messages will be restored!

Post here and I will try and assist. Enjoy

importSMS.au3

Edited by tuheeden
last minute edits