Mixed binary and ASCII file - want to read ASCII

12 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Need to read a small file which looks like

01 01 01 00 21 21 48 4F ����!HHO
(cut from hexedit)

First four are binary but don't show, last four are ascii "!HHO"

I have tried to split the file and look for the ascii string but not succeeded:

; Set the working directory ... or set PATH! ...
            FileChangeDir("C:\S3_GUI\ncat\")
        ;   Run(@ComSpec & " /k " & "C:\S3_GUI\ncat\Home.bat", "", @SW_HIDE);;comment: not over  write
            Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen("C:\S3_GUI\ncat\homerep", $FO_READ) ;; homerep
            Local $sFileRead = FileRead($hFileOpen)
            Local $Comp = StringInStr ($sFileRead,"!HHO",1,4)
            If( $Comp = 1) Then
               MsgBox($MB_OK, "Head is Home", "!HHO")
            Else
               MsgBox($MB_OK, "Head not Home!","!HHx")
            EndIf

Fails every time.

If I open it as binary then I lose the ascii?

I've been advised to include the whole file but it's getting big. You need to see it all?

Edited by fopetesl
Correct syntax

The most powerful number in the Universe.  Zero.

#2 ·  Posted

What does the file look like without the hexeditor?

#3 ·  Posted

Hi,

StringInstr() returns the position of the substring, your parameter "4" returns the 4th occurrence of the substring....

You should better use MUCH more  of CTRL+SHIFT+D and ALT+D....

#4 ·  Posted

Open the file using FileOpen with the $FO_BINARY option to read it as binary. FileOpen without that will stop at the first instance of the character 00 which delimits a text string, so reading it as text isn't going to work.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#5 ·  Posted

22 hours ago, JoHanatCent said:

What does the file look like without the hexeditor?

!HHO

#6 ·  Posted

21 hours ago, BrewManNH said:

Open the file using FileOpen with the $FO_BINARY option to read it as binary. FileOpen without that will stop at the first instance of the character 00 which delimits a text string, so reading it as text isn't going to work.

OK, so I tried to read as binary:

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen("C:\S3_GUI\ncat\homerep", BitOr($FO_READ,$FO_BINARY))
;     Local $AscStr = BinaryToString($sFileRead,$SB_ANSI)
;    Local $bFile = StringLeft($sFileRead,20)  ; get 8 bytes from file
;    Local $bFbyte = StringMid($bFile,11,10)
;    Local $sConvtd = BinaryToString($bFbyte)
     MsgBox($MB_OK, "Bin2Asc", $sConvtd)

I tried all these combinations. No change :(

#7 ·  Posted

21 hours ago, AndyG said:

Hi,

StringInstr() returns the position of the substring, your parameter "4" returns the 4th occurrence of the substring....

You should better use MUCH more  of CTRL+SHIFT+D and ALT+D....

Hi, AndyG.  first I tried this

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen("C:\S3_GUI\ncat\homerep", $FO_READ) ;; homerep
            Local $Comp = StringInStr ($sFileRead,"!HHO",1,4)
            MsgBox($MB_OK, "Bin2Asc", $Comp)
            If( $Comp = 1) Then
               MsgBox($MB_OK, "Head is Home", "!HHO")
            Else
               MsgBox($MB_OK, "Head not Home!","!HHx")
            EndIf

returned a single '0'

Explain "CTRL+SHIFT+D and ALT+D", please. Alt+D gives a ping, Ctrl+Shift+D gives "EOT" in Scite editor.

#8 ·  Posted

fopetesl,

This seems to work:

#include <File.au3>

; ###################
; Only for example

; Required file content
$bBinary = "0x010101002121484F"

; Create file containing the data
$hFile = FileOpen("Test.fil", $FO_OVERWRITE + $FO_BINARY)
FileWrite($hFile, $bBinary)
FileClose($hFile)

Sleep(1000)

; ##################

; Define required search string
$sSearch = "2121484F"

; Or create it from ASCII
$sSearch = StringTrimLeft(StringToBinary("!!HO"), 2)

; Open file and read contents as binary
$hFile = FileOpen("Test.fil", $FO_BINARY)
$sContent = FileRead($hFile)
FileClose($hFile)

; Check for search string
 If StringInStr($sContent, $sSearch) Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Head is Home", "!HHO")
Else
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Head not Home!","!HHx")
EndIf

M23

1 person likes this

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

#9 ·  Posted

M23 & guys, thank you.

Works a treat. So simple. When you know how.

#10 ·  Posted

On 15.3.2017 at 10:46 AM, fopetesl said:

Explain "CTRL+SHIFT+D and ALT+D", please. Alt+D gives a ping, Ctrl+Shift+D gives "EOT" in Scite editor.

Hi,

I do not know which Scite version you are using, In all Scite versions which i have used since 2008, the CTRL+SHIFT+D writes a line with a DEBUG-Msgbox whith the content of a variable or function the cursor stands on (or a marked funktion or anything else).

ALT+D writes a DEBUG-consolewrite.

In the "extras" Menu you will find some more very(!) helpful commands and shortcuts to debug your code within seconds. I think 80% of the "help me"-posts in every internet-(programming)-forum could be avoided with minimalistic usage of simplest debugging functions!

#11 ·  Posted

AndyG,

I think 80% of the "help me"-posts in every internet-(programming)-forum could be avoided with minimalistic usage of simplest debugging functions!

So true!

M23

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

#12 ·  Posted

45 minutes ago, AndyG said:

I do not know which Scite version you are using, In all Scite versions which i have used since 2008, the CTRL+SHIFT+D writes a line with a DEBUG-Msgbox whith the content of a variable or function the cursor stands on (or a marked funktion or anything else).

This is only the case for the full SciTE version that comes in the separate installer. The lite SciTE version included in the AutoIt3 installer doesn't have these debugging options.

Jos

Visit the SciTE4AutoIt3 Download page for the latest versions  - Beta files                                How to post scriptsource        Forum Rules

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)