Files Checklist

TheSaint

Files Checklist

Just a simple little (complex enough) program I whipped up, for a purpose ... but only too happy to share.
It can of course be modified to do more, but at the moment just compares file names with or without path ... Location versus Checklist.

There are of course other compare programs out there, most doing a lot more than mine (i.e. WinMerge or FileComparer). But I wanted something quick and simple with drag & drop, that uses up a smallish amount of screen real estate.

NOTE - The SAVE button is also a LOAD one, and displays 'Load' when the list is empty. So you can save and load specific lists. While in SAVE mode, the button can also be used with CTRL held down, to ADD another list to existing (displayed one) ... combining as they say ... though not saved until you SAVE. CLEAR button removes a selected entry, or if used with CTRL held down, queries about removing all listed entries.

Checklist.PNG.43fdb927ac55600f03a88d2bef16d036.PNG   Checklist_Fail.PNG.ace7b73e3701f1ff7eddf16b4cbc78cd.PNG   Checklist_Pass.PNG.a75a601cd3f21d8e6f0b7fee6662f1f8.PNG   Checklist_Load.PNG.e5a4465384ddbb765b9d928a304d719b.PNG

Files Checklist v1.2.zip  374.99 kB  (566 downloads)

Files Checklist v1.3.zip  376.31 kB  (305 downloads)

Files Checklist v1.4.zip  (Includes a BUGFIX.)

(source included)

WARNING - While this program does not act on files or folders ADDED or CHECKED, you might act on the results, so I advise caution, and I also recommend using the new 'Relative' option in v1.3 or newer ... but you still need to understand what you are doing and what the results actually mean. Some basic examples in the next post.

(v1.2) Name change from 'File' to 'Files'. Added support for Multiple File & Folder drag and drop. Added a 'Failed.txt' ability. Created & Added a program icon. Only one instance of the program now allowed to run. GUI slightly modified. More tooltips added.

(v1.1) Added support for parsing folder content, but not sub-folder.

THANKS to Lazycat from AutoIt Forums for the Multiple Drag & Drop code.

Enjoy!

RELATED
Users might also be interested in another somewhat related program of mine.

DeleteIf Same

Cheers!

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Files Checklist updated to v1.3. See first post for download. New screenshot, and a WARNING also added there.

(v1.3)
'Path' checkbox changed to a combo, and added a 'Relative' path option.
Also added a checkbox for a 'Remove ALL' query.
Using CTRL with the CLEAR button is now an instant 'Remove ALL' without a query.
GUI and controls adjusted (width etc) to accommodate changes.

NOTE - The new 'Relative' path option, is limited to one parent folder (up the chain), as sub-folders are not processed anyway. This is to avoid matching files in different folders, that may not be related.

EXAMPLES

ADDED to checklist - C:\Examples\First\metadata.opf

CHECK that with the following.

C:\Examples\First\metadata.opf  (PASS with No Path, Relative, Full Path) Of course, because it is identical.

D:\Examples\First\metadata.opf  (PASS with No Path, Relative) (FAIL with Full Path) Different drive only. Parent folder is the same.

C:\Examples\Second\metadata.opf  (PASS with No Path) (FAIL with Full Path, Relative) Different parent folder.

C:\Examples\Third\First\metadata.opf  (PASS with No Path, Relative) (FAIL with Full Path) Path contains an extra folder above parent folder.

C:\Examples\First\Third\metadata.opf  (PASS with No Path) (FAIL with Full Path, Relative) Path contains an extra folder below parent folder.

P.S. I actually had another use occur today for the program, but it badly needed that 'Relative' option to speed things up (lots of folders to check). So I added that ability and the changes to 'Remove ALL' while at it.

Spoiler

To expand upon my usage today.

I was checking many ebook folders after I aborted a Library relocation in Calibre. Every folder had two same named files - metadata.opf and cover.jpg. That meant, that without a 'Relative' option, I had to process each folder individually (ADD to checklist then CHECK then remove).

Calibre failed me on two levels - (1) It didn't report the size of my Library before it started, which was several GBs, which I found out later during the process, by manually checking, when I got concerned at progress speed. (2) The Abort button was grayed out and thus unavailable. So I had to kill Calibre manually ... and then later discovered the process was still running, even though I had supposedly fully closed Calibre with the usual method. That all meant, that I wasn't sure what had permanently been transferred or not.

Earlier, I had decided to be smart, and transfer my Library from its usual location on 'C' drive to a folder on another partition. Then I belatedly realized it was going to use up too much remaining space on that partition, and rather than wait an age for the process to finish and then wait another age to relocate it back again, I decided to stop the process.

Going by what the transfer window in calibre was reporting, it was only copying files at that point, no doubt wiping the source when finished, so it seemed a reasonable option to kill it. Dog doesn't know why the Abort option was disabled, and calibre doesn't appear to be impacted in any way from me killing the process.

Needs must. :)

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Files Checklist updated to v1.4. See first post for download. Includes BUGFIX.

(v1.4)
First sub-folder is now processed if no files found in parent folder.
Position of program window is now remembered.
'Thumbs.db' and 'Desktop.ini' files are now ignored by default (see NOTES).
Bugfix for missed error catching (empty folder caused a crash).
A single FAIL is now recorded (see NOTES).
Total Count of processed is now incrementally displayed while Checking.

NOTES - Sub-folder processing can be manually turned off in the 'Settings.ini' file, as can ignoring 'Thumbs.db' and 'Desktop.ini' files. Showing a 2 second 'Fail Dialog' for a single fail can also be manually turned on there as well, if desired. The 'Desktop.ini' file will only be ignored if the 'System' attribute is applied to it. All other Hidden files and folders are NOT ignored.

I relented in regard to sub-folders. Though it is only the first sub-folder, and only when no files are found in root of dropped folder(s). Once again, as always, this is due to a specific need or desire, and it has sped up processing and reduced fiddliness quite a bit for my current use. :thumbsup:

And due to implementing the sub-folder feature, I discovered I had forgotten to implement some error checking, which meant an empty folder could crash the program ... OOPS. :>

Added the following to first post.

RELATED
Users might also be interested in another somewhat related program of mine.

DeleteIf Same

Cheers!

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png