Voice chat dll - Any interest?

Philip Bennefall

Hi everyone.

I am just writing to see if any of you are interested in a dll that will allow you to integrate voicechat capabilities into your scripts really easily, without having to know anything about audio programming but not losing out on control. To begin with it'll be a one on one voicechat dll that you can just call and get it all running in a minute, if people like it I will develop it further. I haven't actually started the development yet, but I have all the tools and libraries that I need so I just thought I'd check here before I start. I just want to see how great the interest is in such a library.

You'll be able to set audio quality and buffer size, and I might also make use of the Speex codec to compress the audio even further before it is sent over the socket. When setting up the library you'll be able to choose if it should stream through Direct sound or the Windows multimedia API.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

This sounds like a great idea. Would be great in Cobra.

My Programs:AInstall - Create a standalone installer for your programUnit Converter - Converts Length, Area, Volume, Weight, Temperature and Pressure to different unitsBinary Clock - Hours, minutes and seconds have 10 columns each to display timeAutoIt Editor - Code Editor with Syntax Highlighting.Laserix Editor & Player - Create, Edit and Play Laserix LevelsLyric Syncer - Create and use Synchronised Lyrics.Connect 4 - 2 Player Connect 4 Game (Local or Online!, Formatted Chat!!)MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger and Whirlpool Hash Finder - Dictionary and Brute Force FindCool Text Client - Create Rendered ImageMy UDF's:GUI Enhance - Enhance your GUIs visually.IDEA File Encryption - Encrypt and decrypt files easily! File Rename - Rename files easilyRC4 Text Encryption - Encrypt text using the RC4 AlgorithmPrime Number - Check if a number is primeString Remove - remove lots of strings at onceProgress Bar - made easySound UDF - Play, Pause, Resume, Seek and Stop.

Oh yeah, there are several SDK's that will do the same thing, but most of them cost at least 300 bucks and some of them even more. I think that is outrageous, so I'm going to try to beat them by selling my own library with almost the same features and functionality for something like $59.95.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

Oh yeah, there are several SDK's that will do the same thing, but most of them cost at least 300 bucks and some of them even more. I think that is outrageous, so I'm going to try to beat them by selling my own library with almost the same features and functionality for something like $59.95.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

you intend to sell this to the autoit crowd??

Speex will be used in the dll by default. It is not an audio streaming library, just a codec. Speex alone won't allow you to make a voicechat, you need a buffer streaming method behind it as well. I'm not just going to sell it to the AutoIt community, I will have a demo up on my site and anyone who is interested can order it. I can't release it for free, because it involves a lot of work and I'd like to get something back for it after all. But if you look at the prices of the other libraries, over 300 bucks for a developer license, 59.95 isn't so bad I wouldn't say. I am going to use Port audio, Speex, and winsock to form the component. It will be one single dll that does everything.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

Speex will be used in the dll by default. It is not an audio streaming library, just a codec. Speex alone won't allow you to make a voicechat, you need a buffer streaming method behind it as well. I'm not just going to sell it to the AutoIt community, I will have a demo up on my site and anyone who is interested can order it. I can't release it for free, because it involves a lot of work and I'd like to get something back for it after all. But if you look at the prices of the other libraries, over 300 bucks for a developer license, 59.95 isn't so bad I wouldn't say. I am going to use Port audio, Speex, and winsock to form the component. It will be one single dll that does everything.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

umm, not to be rude but. are you sure you can use speex in your engine, wouldn't that violate it liscence since your making profit off someone elses hard work, why not make it opensource, or freeware? i'm certain you're using opensource and freeware (autoit) on your machine, plus there many "demos" out already, the price is nice but i'm certain i would never buy it.. well i guess someone will release an opensource version just like they did with your "midi udf" you never released. :)

[edit] i feel kind of bad, so i will just say go ahead and do what makes you happy, the price is reasonable and i hope you get it going soon, and if it works in autoit that would be totally awesome :D

Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

If this is the kind of response that I get, I see no reason why I should continue on this. Of course people are going to build open source libraries, but I simply can't afford to. The other libraries that are out there are way more expensive, yet, you don't complain to them...

I am not violating any licenses by the way, if you read the license for Speex and Port audio you will see that you can include them royalty free in any application, for any purpose, even commercial use. I am going to put it up as a dll, with accompanying examples for different languages such as AutoIt, Vb and C++, so that it can easily be used by a lot of developers. I'm not forcing anyone to buy it, of course it's always more fun to get stuff for free. So it's just take it or leave it I guess.

Regards

Philip Bennefall

If this is the kind of response that I get, I see no reason why I should continue on this. Of course people are going to build open source libraries, but I simply can't afford to.

Why don't you release it as a free for personal use licence, but a moderate fee if used for a commercial product. That way people can actually get to hack on it, and if they come up with something worth selling, you get a cut.

People make a lot of open source tools with AutoIt, and so, having a non-open source component is simply out of the question. Post a similar question on a Ruby, Free-Basic, Python, Kixtart board, and you will get a similar response. That's just how it works on this side of the tracks.

[font="Fixedsys"][list][*]All of my AutoIt Example Scripts[*]http://saneasylum.com[/list][/font]

...The other libraries that are out there are way more expensive, yet, you don't complain to them...

I simply don't acknowledge the other libraries, there's no reason in complaining to the authors, since it would most likely be like talking to a brick wall, especially if they're a big company.

[edit - grammer]

Edited by mrRevoked
Don't bother, It's inside your monitor!------GUISetOnEvent should behave more like HotKeySet()

I would like to get on here and voice my opinion. It seems that a large majority of AutoIt users feel that any software discussed on the forum should be either open source or free. I feel there is a time and place for all software types. Showing your disdain for someone trying to make money off a unique software/library they have the ability to create is like someone disliking you for doing your job and making money at it. When I went to New Orleans to "HELP" with the hurricane relief efforts. I didn't just do it for free. One has to make a living. If writing software is someone's living then they must make money off of it.

Another thing it seems that is quite mis-understood is open source software being used in proprietary programs. There are many open source licenses that allow this. There are some that don't. Don't assume anything.

Also AutoIt isn't open source any longer, and hasn't been for quite some time. Do you disdain on the developers for their choice in this? No, most people don't even mind, or even care. They just care that it is free. AutoIt has a limited source release, but certainly isn't open source. AutoIt is actually kinda like being closed source with an SDK download.

What I would recommend (not that my opinion matters), but this is how I would do something like this.

Release a limited free version. Not in a way that it is unusable, but like Lavasoft does with Ad-Aware. If you want the extra features you pay a certain preset price. Also if the developer wants to use the library in a commercial application then he would also be required to pay. That is a simple and easy way to satisfy the largest number of people.

I hope this helps some people learn some things about Open Source, and software.

Thanks,

JS

Edited by JSThePatriot

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)