Start on Windows Startup

Hey guys! I have a really simple question - do you happen to know how the pc can start a program or a file as soon as the computers starts without me being there? I want to try controlling ot from my other house and I want the script that connects to my other computer to be started as soon as Windows starts up. :)

Hey guys! I have a really simple question - do you happen to know how the pc can start a program or a file as soon as the computers starts without me being there? I want to try controlling ot from my other house and I want the script that connects to my other computer to be started as soon as Windows starts up. :)

If there's only one user on the PC (and therefore as soon as the computer starts, it logs onto their profile), you could just put a link (or your script itself) in %userprofile%\start menu\startup

Otherwise, you'll have to run your script as a service (see the FAQs pinned at the top of this forum).

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

If there's only one user on the PC (and therefore as soon as the computer starts, it logs onto their profile), you could just put a link (or your script itself) in %userprofile%\start menu\startup

Otherwise, you'll have to run your script as a service (see the FAQs pinned at the top of this forum).

:) Thanks but I don't really know how to do that :party: . Can I get a little more information please? :)

im not 100% but i think he means that you can put the scrupt in the start menu under:

Start -> program -> autostart

everything that is put in there is run everytime the user logs in so just drag and drop the script there and i think it should work :)

or did you mean how to run it as a service? :)

You could also create a scheduled task to run at startup.

Start -> Run

%windir%\tasks

Edited by spudw2k
Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF