Rapid Menu Writer

seangriffin

Rapid Menu Writer is a wizard for creating very simple DVD menus.

Rapid Menu Writer is fast and efficient! It can add a menu to a DVD in seconds, and uses only a fraction of your hard disk space.

Examples of how Rapid Menu Writer can be used include:

• adding a menu to a DVD merged by DVDFab
  • adding a menu to a DVD re-authored by DVDShrink

BACKGROUND:

I wrote this tool because I could not find a reliable solution for adding a menu to a DVD without re-authoring the entire structure of the DVD.

There are guides on the internet explaining how to combine various tools to avoid re-authoring, yet the process is awkward to follow, and unnecessarily complicated for the end user (who simply wants to add a menu to their DVD prior to burning).

The closest tool I found to performing this task is called TitleWriter, by FAllenAngel. Unfortunately, the software failed to work for me several times, and I gave up using it.

Other DVD authoring packages tend to re-create, or re-author, the entire DVD structure. If you consider a typical DVD is approximately 4.7Gb in size, the re-authoring process results in a new copy of the DVD - also 4.7Gb in size. Add to this the time it takes to re-author a DVD, and the act of simply adding a menu becomes a major undertaking.

Rapid Menu Writer automates two well known software packages (PgcEdit and DVDStyler) in a manner that takes the difficulty out of adding a menu to a DVD. The result is a very simple to use and reliable wizard that anyone can use.

REQUIREMENTS:

• PgcEdit (versions 8.5, 8.6 and 9.2 supported)
  • DVDStyler (v1.7.2 supported)

Note:- Other versions of these programs may work, but have not been tested.

INSTALLATION:

Simply download and run Rapid Menu Writer below.

DOWNLOAD:

Latest Version - v1.3 (21/09/09)

Rapid Menu Writer 13.exe

Rapid Menu Writer.au3

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for sharing!

I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm gonna give you a star ... just for the idea!

I love DVDStyler, DVDShrink and DVDFab HD Decrypter, and have tried PGCEdit (without much success ... and which is no longer free) and TitleWriter (same issues as you).

Most of my issues with PGCEdit are the complexities involved, so if your program eases that, I'll be forever grateful. I was gonna attempt to use PGCEdit to make a master menu for two small DVD's, where you keep their original menus intact - much like DVDRemake can, but it just seemed all too complex in the end.

I also love VobBlanker, FixVTS and DVD Decrypter.

>_<

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Thanks for the great feedback, so soon after my posting!

V0.2 is now available for download.

This was just a small update, with the following changes:

• Added PgcEdit and DVDStyler program checks.
  • Added an About window.

I'm using an unregistered version of PgcEdit at the moment. So Rapid Menu Writer expects to see a PgcEdit Donation/Nag window when it starts PgcEdit. If anyone has a registered version, without the Donation window, let me know. I don't think this version of Rapid Menu Writer will work for you.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

Chrome UDF - Automate Chrome | SAP UDF - Automate SAP | Java UDF - Automate Java Applications & Applets | Tesseract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications, controls and the desktop | Textract (OCR) UDF - Capture text from applications and controls | FileSystemMonitor UDF - File, Folder, Drive and Shell Monitoring | VLC (Media Player) UDF - Creating and controlling a VLC control in AutoIT | Google Maps UDF - Creating and controlling Google Maps (inc. GE) in AutoIT | SAPIListBox (Speech Recognition) UDF - Speech Recognition via the Microsoft Speech (SAPI) ListBox | eBay UDF - Automate eBay using the eBay API | ChildProc (Parallel Processing) UDF - Parallel processing functions for AutoIT | HyperCam (Screen Recording) UDF - Automate the HyperCam screen recorder | Twitter UDF - Automate Twitter using OAuth and the Twitter API | cURL UDF - a UDF for transferring data with URL syntax

See my other Tools:

Rapid Menu Writer - Add menus to DVDs in seconds | TV Player - Automates the process of playing videos on an external TV / Monitor | Rapid Video Converter - A tool for resizing and reformatting videos | [topic130531]Rapid DVD Creator - Convert videos to DVD fast and for free | ZapPF - A tool for killing processes and recycling files | Sean's eBay Bargain Hunter - Find last minute bargains in eBay using AutoIT | Sean's GUI Inspector - A scripting tool for querying GUIs | TransLink Journey Planner with maps - Incorporating Google Maps into an Australian Journey Planner | Automate Qt and QWidgets | Brisbane City Council Event Viewer - See what's going on in Brisbane, Australia

Thanks for the great feedback, so soon after my posting!

V0.2 is now available for download.

This was just a small update, with the following changes:

• Added PgcEdit and DVDStyler program checks.
  • Added an About window.

I'm using an unregistered version of PgcEdit at the moment. So Rapid Menu Writer expects to see a PgcEdit Donation/Nag window when it starts PgcEdit. If anyone has a registered version, without the Donation window, let me know. I don't think this version of Rapid Menu Writer will work for you.

Great!

But does this mean that your program doesn't work with the last free version (pre Nag)? (i.e. released about a year ago)

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Great!

But does this mean that your program doesn't work with the last free version (pre Nag)? (i.e. released about a year ago)

Yes, it won't work in the current v0.2. I see the issue and will fix it in v0.3.

I see the last pre-nag version of PgcEdit is v8.6. It looks almost the same as v9.2, though the File menu is slightly different. Enough to make my script fall over. PgcEdit is written in the Tcl language, and AutoIT doesn't seem to recognise the PgcEdit/Tcl menus and menu items. I get around this by using keyboard actions to select menu items (ugly, but works). Since there is no Tcl support (scripts or UDFs) in the AutoIT forums yet, I'm stuck with using the keyboard approach for now.

Good news is that the Help menu has a Version history menu item, in the same location in both v9.2 and v8.6 of PgcEdit. This menu item gives the current version of PgcEdit, and I can use this to determine where menu items will be located in each version of PgcEdit. I notice even versions as early as 0.6.0 (July 2005) have this menu item in the same location.

So I have a solution for now. Will try and put it into Rapid Menu Writer v0.3.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.3 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Changed the Options and About GUI to be modal.
  • Changed the path of the DVD player to be read from the Options window.
  • Changed the DVDStyler XML to use the path to DVDStyler from the Options window.
  • Added support for PgcEdit versions 8.5 and 8.6 (pre Nag versions).
  • Added a DVDStyler preview option.
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Once again, Thanks!

Soon as I get over my Ubuntu installation experiment/woes/annoyances, I'll give your prog a run through.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Version 0.4 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added a heading picture to Main and About GUIs.
  • Added the ability to work with DVDs that already have a menu.
  • Added an "Open PgcEdit" button to view the DVD in PgcEdit afterwards.
  • Added a NSIS installer and uninstaller.
Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 0.5 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Added a help file and help menu item.
  • Added more logging commands.
  • Moved the "Open Log" button to the "Tools" menu.
  • Fixed the Back button to be disabled on the first wizard page.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

And again, Thanks! >_<

Testing soon!

Spoiler

userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...

Version 1.0 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Titles menu checkbox is forced on (checked) at the moment.
  • Changed the default paths of PgcEdit, DVDStyler & DVD Player to use the current Program Files path.
  • Removed the storage and retrieval of button labels.
  • Updated the system requirements to include 32 bit Windows.
  • Added keyboard mnemonics (shortcuts) to all buttons and menu items.
  • Fixed the Next button. It was missing the ">" sign.
  • Added a Tool menu item to start PgcEdit.
  • Added a Tool menu item to start DVDStyler.
  • Updated tooltips to warn user about using the mouse and keyboard.
  • Updated help.
  • Fixed paths with spaces issue.
  • Added a donation button to the About GUI and last page of the Main GUI.
  • Changed the default DVD player to Media Player Classic Home Cinema.
  • Added menu titles (headings on each menu screen).
  • Added video preview button.
  • Added title menus (major update).

This is a major update, to include menus at the title level (as well as the existing titleset level). Also added the ability to preview titlesets and titles (using PgcEditPreview which is already bundled with PgcEdit).

This should make Rapid Menu Writer much more useful than before.

Edited by seangriffin

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 1.1 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Back button is currently broken.
  • Changed previews to move the Main GUI side-by-side with the Preview window.
  • Fixed the bad check for the "Find BOVs (Buttons Over Video..." popup following the "PgcEdit: Save DVD" popup.
  • Titles menu checkbox re-enabled - titleset only menus now working.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools:

Version 1.3 is now available for download.

Changes include:

• Fixed the Back buttons (broken from v1.1).
  • Fixed the Finished message at the end to be shown (was previously hidden).
  • Changed the DVDStyler Preview message to include Yes and No buttons to continue or go back.
  • Added an error message when the DVD player doesn't exist when Play DVD is clicked.
  • Updated the error messages for missing PgcEdit and DVDStyler executables to include the path.
  • Added a "Restore Defaults" button to the Options GUI.
  • Updated the help file.
  • Added verbose logging to the "Assign commands to the menu buttons" section.
  • Changed the style of menu buttons to use frames with borders.
  • Changed the default menu colour scheme to be blue buttons with white text and borders.

Cheers, Sean.

See my other UDFs:

See my other Tools: